Mac users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac users

I read somewhere - and frustratingly I cannot remember where - that Canon Utility (which I use for downloading photographs from the camera) does not work with Mac OS Sierra (or whichever mountain is the latest). Does anyone know whether that has been corrected yet?

Thanks

Richard
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Re: Mac users

You will find information from Canon here:
    Download drivers, software, firmware and manuals for your Canon product and get access to online technical support resources and troubleshooting.

In brief, Canon is giving estimated release dates of updated software for the end of December 2016 and the end of January 2017.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Thanks for that Robert. A bit aggravating that the update is so slow - as an avid fan of both companies!!!

Comment

This is a problem faced by all early adopters (Sierra was launched just over a month ago). I tend to wait 6 to 12 months after a launch before thinking about updating so that most of the issues can be resolved.
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

To be fair to Apple, Sierra beta versions were out for months before the final release and I can see nothing that would have stopped Canon getting the required software to perform testing and fix any issues. Which means I have absolutely no sympathy with large companies that don't have the required updates available for their software to be supported on a new version.

If Apple had sprung Sierra on people with no preparation time, then that would be a different matter but they don't and neither do Microsoft for this very reason. It's just very sloppy for a large organisation to be this disorganised.
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

And to be fair to Canon, an updated operating system can impact not only on cameras, but also printers, scanners and other products. Take a look at the long list of 'Affected products and software' on the link given above. It is not just EOS Utility which needs updating.

As Canon says, "If you own an affected product or software item listed below, then we strongly advise that you do not upgrade your operating system until confirmation of full functionality has been provided."

In the meantime, you could use a card reader to transfer your images to a computer. Personally, I always use this method as it is much quicker than downloading directly from the camera. I know that some photographers are reluctant to remove a media card from their camera for fear of wear and tear or damage, but I have been using digital cameras for over 15 years and never once encountered this type of problem.
            Robert
            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
              As Canon says, "If you own an affected product or software item listed below, then we strongly advise that you do not upgrade your operating system until confirmation of full functionality has been provided."
              What about the person that goes out and buys a 5D mk iv and a new Mac and find the software doesn't work? They've not chosen to upgrade, they got the OS on the new machine but they still get home and find the Canon software has compatibility issues. IMO there was plenty of time for Canon to get this right and it's very poor that they haven't.
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

You only have to read these and other forums to know how popular Apples are for Canon users. It is a segment that canon would do well to look after! I agree with Andy that the lead time for dealing with this should be ample. With new MacBook Pros announced yesterday, Canon is missing a trick.

Actually, I think the immersive experience from sales pitch to use that is Apple should be copied by Canon. The buying and using experience for Canon kit is somewhat hit or miss, and emulating he eco-system that Apple has provided for users should be one of Canon's key marketing objectives for the next few years. And I am a Canon "fanboy"!!!

Comment

just noticed today that apple have increased there prices right across the range in the u.k as they can no longer absorb the dollar/pound price differential

Comment

Yep! Brexit rools!

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
                      Yep! Brexit rools!
                      Now everybody’s a Brexpert!

Comment

I see that Canon has announced that it will be releasing updates for EOS Utility 2 and 3 to allow USB connection with Mac OS Sierra by the end of February 2017. At last!!

Comment

Don't know if this is the update we've been waiting for but 3.6.10 appeared on the 15th , it says.....

Changes for EOS Utility 3.6.10 for Mac OS X :

- Supports EOS Kiss X9i / EOS REBEL T7i / EOS 800D, EOS 9000D / EOS 77D, EOS M6.
                          - Supports EF-S18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM.
                          - Stability of the connectivity has been improved.

only clue maybe the last improvement?
                          Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Comment

Working...
                          X