EOS upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS upgrade

Hi, had my 600D for some time now great camera but I think I want something better now.

I am fortunate enough that I have a reasonable amount of cash to spend but I want to make sure I don't
    Bite of more than I can chew.

I have read all the bumph about the 750-760 and they look and sound great, thought about a 70D and have been
    Thinking about an 80D.

So I suppose my question is would the 70-80D be a bit of to great an upgrade or if knuckle down and read the manual fully and have a good play an 80D should be fine.

I use my 600D for wildlife and macro mainly, have shot the odd firework night, but work on a farm so camera is mostly in the fields with me, I use on occasion the 18-55 often the 18-135 and quite often the 100-400, very often my 100 f2.8 USM macro lens.

Paul

Re: EOS upgrade

the 80D would be the one to go for ,its the latest model on your list ,its not hard to learn ,the i.q is superb ,i have used mine up to 6400iso and still got decent quality images .
    and there is help available with settings on here if you get stuck

Comment

plus the 80D is available at reduced price £869 at present (proper UK model, not grey import) and has cashback of £80 so you can actually get it for £789, a bargain as it has been £999 until very recently.
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I was recently helping a friend with his photography and had a chance to use his 80D. I was very impressed with this camera it has very good performance. It sports an entirely new sensor and this offers improved dynamic range as well as much improved live view focusing. ISO performance is very good. I would have to say if you can afford it go for the 80D.
        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

I have had the 80D for about 3 months now - it is a great camera with pretty much every option you would need (even if I did pay the full 999!) It also has the advantage of being compatible with the 1.4x extender and my 100-400L Series 1 - which is great. My prime reason for sticking with the XXD series was that I have a very nice and nearly new EF-S 18-200 which is my day to day lens but which is not supported on full frame so rather than change lens and camera I upgraded from 40D to 80D - and the difference is great.

Comment

Thanx all think that has made my mind up for me, Richard W who has it for 869.

Paul

Comment

Hi Richard who is selling it at that money please.

Comment

Think it's WEX
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Pretty much everybody...

(Okay, not quite.)

Comment

Definitely get the 80D
                    Also get one or both of the 80D guides from the EOS shop!
                    Much better than the Canon manuals...

Comment

Which lenses do you have and what do you like to shoot?

Comment

Based on pre release press "reviews" of the M5, I would have suggested that camera as an alternative to the 80D. Same sensor plus advantages of mirrorless. However, real life comments from early users have been disappointing in the areas of autofocus, among others. Nonetheless, you might want to look at one before plunking down your money for the 80D.
                        Bill
                        "If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by bowserb View Post
                          Based on pre release press "reviews" of the M5, I would have suggested that camera as an alternative to the 80D. Same sensor plus advantages of mirrorless. However, real life comments from early users have been disappointing in the areas of autofocus, among others. Nonetheless, you might want to look at one before plunking down your money for the 80D.
                          Bill - can you point me to any of these real life comments?
                          John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I believe one of the members here received an M5 for Christmas ...

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                              Bill - can you point me to any of these real life comments?
                              Check the EOS M forum at dpreview.com. Lots of questions, observations, and complaints. Naturally, like press reports, these need to be filtered, as some are new users of technology beyond their prior experience, but others are DSLR converts.
                              Expert news, reviews and videos of the latest digital cameras, lenses, accessories, and phones. Get answers to your questions in our photography forums.

I was so stoked by early "press reviews" that I pre ordered an M5 with the 15-45 native lens and the EF-M adapter (I believe the M5 sold in the UK includes the adapter, but in the U.S., you must buy it separately.) I've been using the SL1 (aka 100D) as a stop gap while waiting for Canon to make a proper mirrorless camera--and while my wife continues with her heavyweight 5D2, 7D, and 5DSR big bodies. All the press reviews made the M5 look good, other than its lack of in body stabilization and no 4K video, plus some squirrely design quirks. Finally, when Sony released the A6500, with the features the M5 lacked, I decided to wait a bit longer. Also my SL1 has been such a pleasant surprise and handy camera, the M5 had fairly little beyond the mirrorless advantage to offer, so I cancelled my pre order. I may change my mind again later, as I kindof have the new camera bug, although I'm better able to resist such bugs than I was in years past. [I'm thinking of renting an A6500 and Metabones EF-E adapter for a week, just to see how that combo works with our EF/EFS lenses.]

So in spite of my M5 disappointments, I would still say that if you're considering an 80D, you would do yourself a disservice if you don't at least look at the M5, which is essentially a light-weight, mirrorless 80D. I'm not saying buy it...just look, so you don't wonder about it later. If you do video, mirrorless has the advantage of an eye level viewfinder--a big plus. Also, you don't have the agony of having to micro adjust the autofocus for every lens, as you do with a DSLR when available. It's my observation that manufacturing tolerances have increased in recent years with more and more price competition, so AF can have pretty serious backfocus and frontfocus issues.
                              Bill
                              "If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

Comment

Working...
                              X