First impression of the 7D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First impression of the 7D

I got my 7D yesterday so I thought I would use it to cover my local x country run.

So:

- I used the 70-300 throughout
    - I used M with Auto ISO as the runners were in and out of the shade
    - Servo with expanded point (runners move their heads about a lot)
    - Took all the pictures in portrait with the focus point two points up from the centre.
    - Put the focus point on the head
    - Spot metering

Result near enough all of them came out well. Exceptions were:

- where the point was on dark sunglasses through the metering
    - where the runner had a dark beard affected the metering
    - couple of missed focusses (expecting too much)

I was most impressed by the quick and accurate focussing - especially after some the comment expressed on the forum (this is the 7D that Jules was having problems with)

Just and example below showing the focussing in what was a tight place with difficult light. I Have all the standard running pictures so this is for a change. Was looking for different pictures where possible

7d, 70-300L@140, iso640, f5, 1/500
    ef-r

Re: First impression of the 7D

Here is the more traditional picture - the 7D just eat these up - I dont think I missed one runner or got a bad picture that wasn't my fault.

I got two shooting points , one at the beginning and one at the finish (it was a 8 mile run)

This is the final run in - high contrast was the problem here - but it has managed it OK. Sun was going in and out all morning.

7D, 70-300@300, iso 100, 1/800, f5.6
    ef-r

Comment

Brian,
      They are two stunning images..... just think what you will be able to produce once you get to grips with the 7D...

David
      David

Comment

Super results for the first time out.

The 7D is very close to the 1 series, in that it needs customising and mastering before you get the best out of it. Those that take the time and trouble will be well rewarded.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Having owned several Canon digital cameras over the years I have to say the 7D is the most disappointing camera I have ever owned, I coupled a 7D up with a 5D MK2 to do 2 weddings the 5D images were spot on, whereas the 7D where predomintely out of focus even only using 1 focus point, so much so I was considered selling all my Canon stuff in favour of Nikon

Comment

Well I'm no expert, but i am pleased with mine. There are threads on here and other sites about the focusing of a 7D, and they are worth reading. I hope you sort yours out.
            Regards
            Graydon
            Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
            EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Originally posted by a1photographic View Post
              Having owned several Canon digital cameras over the years I have to say the 7D is the most disappointing camera I have ever owned, I coupled a 7D up with a 5D MK2 to do 2 weddings the 5D images were spot on, whereas the 7D where predomintely out of focus even only using 1 focus point, so much so I was considered selling all my Canon stuff in favour of Nikon
              Welcome to the forum
              What Canon lenses do you own and use and which lenses did you use at the wedding on the Canon 7D?
              Any sample images?

Comment

This is a Canon forum - so why do I feel I'm being controversial when I say the 7D is a fantastic camera ?

Goes without saying, I feel genuinely sorry for skilled, experienced photographers who know how to use their cameras, and are having problems caused purely by faulty equipment .

Trev
                Last edited by Trevoreast; 11-10-2011, 20:57.

Comment

Here is another example. Otter is moving, 7D with 400F2.8IS @ a demanding (for AF) f3.5

AF is servo, expanded point. Focussing is quicker and at least as accurate as my 5DII

Last edited by briansquibb; 14-10-2011, 09:13.
                  ef-r

Comment

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                    Di's Flickr

Comment

Still haven't really had a chance to master the 7D yet (very busy at work ) but i did give it a bit of a workout on a holiday on Islay in September . Impression ? Wonderful ! Great fun trying to workout things and fantastic results even though i think it's more by accident than knowing what i'm doing.....LOL ! So glad i splashed out on it and the top notch lenses .

deer-kildaton-road by Gordon_H61

The Old Kiln Cafe , Ardbeg by Gordon_H61

Ardbeg by Gordon_H61
                      Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Comment

Just got my new 7d :))
                        Nice and hafty, just what my big hands need. Now come on battery get charged already :P
                        Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

I have been using the 7D now for 2 years and I am pretty much convinced it's the best digital camera Canon have ever made. Aside from some noise at higher ISO, it's pretty much a percect camera - a dream to use and superb image quality. I find it difficult that any one would find major issues with it - just because I use Canon (and have done since 1976!) I would not be reluctant to criticse if I thought it were necessary. The 100% viewfinder and grid overlay alone make it such a useful camera. I have always found Canon metering flakey in typical overcast UK conditions - and hence tend to use manual a lot - but the new metering system was a major step forward.
                          www.garywhite-photography.com
                          Gary White, MPhil
                          Travel Photographer

Comment

Working...
                          X