60D and 50mm 1.8 - video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60D and 50mm 1.8 - video

I shot a music video for a friend last week. We had no time, but decided to do "just something". We went outside in the dark with my 60D and the nifty fifty and came back an hour later with our footage. We hadn't planned anything. It's was just a collection of random shots. I edited the video in Final Cut Pro X in 4-5 hours and that was it! It's not perfect, but considering we only had that one hour, I'm happy.

I love how Canon has enabled us to work fast. Just go out there and get the shots.

Here it is: http://youtu.be/HaZdKsrkvVI?hd=1
    myTube
    Twitter: @VilliAsgeirsson
    Canon EOS 60D - 50mm f1.8 - 50mm f1.4 - 18-135mm f4-5.6 - 100mm f2.8 macro - Speedlite 480EX - Canon EOS 500D

Re: 60D and 50mm 1.8 - video

Looks quite crisp imho and suits black and white very well.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

Great work - like the train in the background at 14 secs, works very well with the music.

Trev

Comment

Very impressive - well done

Comment

Thanks for the comments! I'm definitely doing this again.

There are two things I would do differently next time. Bring a monopod to keep the shots more steady without sacrificing mobility and a ghetto blaster to make syncing easier.
          myTube
          Canon EOS 60D - 50mm f1.8 - 50mm f1.4 - 18-135mm f4-5.6 - 100mm f2.8 macro - Speedlite 480EX - Canon EOS 500D

Comment

That's a great video and a brilliant tune. I'm looking into buying the 60D but the only thing that would put me off is the memory card (which might be a really pointless reason) - would the memory card, because it's not a big compact flash one, compress the film at all? It looks like such a great camera, would love to get it but it would be totally for film and videography.

Comment

Very well done.
              Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
              http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
              https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

I haven't been around for a while and therefore left Kiwi unanswered and utterly neglected.

An SD card will not compress the footage any more than a compact flash. You won't notice any difference at all. The compression is done by the camera before the file gets written to the card.

Hope this answer isn't needed anymore, as you'd have had to wait a long time then.
                myTube

Comment

what villi says is correct, memory is memory...or binary lol its all '0's and '1's just like your pc so the type of card is irrelevant.
                  just make sure you get a 'fast' card..class 6 or above, they come down a lot in price, i just bought a class 10 samsung 32gb for £27.50 on amazon, and its waterproof, shock proof x-ray proof and will take a 1.5 ton weight on it...so virtually indestructible :-) (the class rating is the speed the card can be written to/read from by the camera/pc)
                  the 60d is a lovely tool, got mine last june and love it.
                  only just started experimenting with the video capabilities recently and the full hd picture quality is excellent,
                  the only downside i have found is that canon, in their wisdom have opted for the FAT32 system, i realise they will have done this for maximum compatibility with users computers because some people's pc's will still be running this old file system, but it means there is a file size limit of 4gb,
                  whereas if they had used the NTFS system this would not be the case.
                  in practice this means that although canon state a maximum recording time of some 29 minutes for video....it's pointless, i recorded about an hour of a bands gig last week and ended up with 5 x 4gb files....most annoying as i've not yet learned how to edit video lol always been a 'stills' man up to now, tho' with the quality of the video the 60d takes i'm about to start learning how ;-)
                  and again, the 60d is a fantastic tool, i heartily recommend it :-)

Comment

what villi says is correct,
                    memory is memory...or binary lol its all '0's and '1's just like your pc so the type of card is irrelevant.
                    just make sure you get a 'fast' card..class 6 or above, they have come down a lot in price, i just bought a class 10 samsung 32gb for £27.50 on amazon, and its waterproof, shock proof x-ray proof and will take a 1.5 ton weight on it...so virtually indestructible :-) (the class rating is the speed the card can be written to/read from by the camera/pc)
                    the 60d is a lovely tool, got mine last june and love it.
                    only just started experimenting with the video capabilities recently and the full hd picture quality is excellent,
                    the only downside i have found is that canon, in their wisdom have opted for the FAT32 system, i realise they will have done this for maximum compatibility with users computers because some people's pc's will still be running this old file system, but it means there is a file size limit of 4gb,
                    whereas if they had used the NTFS system this would not be the case.
                    in practice this means that although canon state a maximum recording time of some 29 minutes for video....it's pointless, i recorded about an hour of a bands gig last week and ended up with 5 x 4gb files....most annoying as i've not yet learned how to edit video lol always been a 'stills' man up to now, tho' with the quality of the video the 60d takes i'm about to start learning how, anyone want to buy a load of my old compactflash from my 400d ? ;-)
                    and again, the 60d is a fantastic tool, i heartily recommend it :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X