Flikr Getty & Copyright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flikr Getty & Copyright

This isn't so much about making money but more about not being seen off in the unlikely event someone actually wanted to use a picture from my new Flickr a/c.

I was reading an old editorial from What Camera (I think) and the ed was bemoaning Flickr doing a deal with Getty Images. From what I can make out you need to sign up to it if you want to try and use their service (something I'm not interested in and have not done).

Then I noticed the default copyright next to one of my photos and saw there are a pile of different options, anyone care to offer, or point me in the direction of a simple explanation and what people normally use?

Cheers W
    TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Re: Flikr Getty & Copyright

I'm not a user of Flickr or getty but there's a bit of info here: http://www.flickr.com/help/gettyimages/

regards
    Gav.
    Sorry I've not been around much. Sadly the ankle surgery and carpal tunnel surgery have both been unsuccessful, so have to wait and see what happens next. I hope to be shooting a lot more in the future!

Twitter: @PicturesqueScot

Comment

I'm confused by this too. What settings should my flickr account be on. I'd rather not have people downloading and using my pictures, its unlikely they would want to but I'd rather they couldn't. How do I stop this? Impossible to test my settings myself, can't find myself in a search when logged out of account, can only see when I am logged on which is no good as it would of course let me download my own pictures. Tried the link above but doesn't give any answers.

Just a simple answer required. What copyright setting should my flickr account be on please?
      Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

If you look at the privacy and permissions settings, it does say something about not making all your image file sizes available to everyone. But not sure if its totally possible to stop downloads.
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

You can make the images only available to oneself, or friends and family. There is a box under each image in 'YOU' where you can choose your privacy settings.
          I once tried to share some photos with my son-in-law but it all got very complicated as we had to give each other permisssion to see the photos so I stuck them on a memory stick instead!
          We do a lot of work e-mailing images to people - the secret is to make a very small file that could not be used for very much. I always upload at 640pixels on the longest side, but will check on what you said about the sizes, Di.

Comment

Anything that can be viewed in a web browser can be downloaded, so I agree with DianaS, if you're worried about misuse of your images upload them at low resolution.The other alternative is to watermark your images.

AK

Comment

Sorry I am new to this and I want to copyright some photographs that I am going to send to a model. Is there a way of copyrighting the images when you upload them via EOS? Or how does the 'watermark your images' work.

Scott-Williams

Comment

Hi Scott,
                By default you own the copyright of all images you take, unless you waived it.
                Do you simply want to overlay some text on your images for promotion, or to give image thieves a bit of work to do before they steal your image ?

Trev

Comment

Working...
                X