Photo Apps for phones and devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo Apps for phones and devices

Many people now have mobile phones that have the ability to do far more than be a simple communications device. Many can use apps to add features, functions and material to "enhance your experience". I am really thinking about those photographic apps that you have on your phone that are useful to have while on location, add value, also there is a wealth of excellent reference material and field guides.

While I am relatively new to this phone-app'ery, therefore this list is not exhaustive, but these are some of the tools I find useful and have on both my iPhone and iPad. Apps for other makes of phone and devices are available, and if included as an item in the magazine, it should be expanded to cover Android and Blackberry apps.

In no specific order and with no attachment or relationship to any of these...

FotometerPro - this converts your iPhone/iPad into a simple, old fashioned light meter. The software has a range of settings from ISO 25 through to 6,400, apertures from f0.95 through to f1,000 and shutter speeds 1/4,000" to 16 hours. The retro styled unit has both incident and reflected modes and also comes with a nice audible countdown and alarm. While most cameras only meter down to 30 seconds before the user has to move onto the bulb setting, this is a great way of both metering for those tricky evening and night exposures as well as timing those longer shutter speeds.
    Link - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fotom...439913393?mt=8

Depth of Field - many modern zooms fail to have usable depth of field scales and there are several apps which attempt to give you the details, in particular I like.

iDoF Calc - The apps come with many common camera "circle of confusion" details pre installed, therefore selecting and setting your camera model is simple. It is then very easy to use, set your aperture, focal length and distance to subject and the top section of the app shows the relevant details, from hyper focal distance, far limit, depth of field and near limit - a nice simple app.
    Link - http://itunes.apple.com/lv/app/idof-...348599110?mt=8

Field Tools - another simple and effective app, again it is relatively easy to set up. Most camera models are covered and while lenses are not listed, it is easy to add your own details, focal length and apertures. Once set up with camera and lenses, it is easy to swap between lenses and cameras as necessary.
    Link - http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/field...305817254?mt=8

Apptures Flashlight - this is a simple app, it turns your phone into a torch. While it eats the battery, when stuck in the field, in the dark and you are trying to sort your camera, it may be just what you need. There are plenty of others, but this was free and did what I needed.
    Link - http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/flash...404181268?mt=8

Moving onto reference material:

iBird United Kingdom and Ireland - this comes in a number of versions, the free "lite" edition covers a small handful of birds, but give a great feel to what the full app contains. The full app currently discounted by 50% at £6.99 is an amazing app and covers the 283 birds in UK and Ireland. While I am no expert, the photography is stunning and I particularly like the ID section and the sound recordings of bird song.
    Link - http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ibird...424729739?mt=8

Dragonflies & Damselflies of Britain & Ireland - this is a beautiful "wild guide" app for those who want to know a bit more about the subject. Well presented, great images, supported with plenty of detail. Amazing on the iPad, but also good in the field on the phone - some would say expensive at £9.99 but if you want to know what it is, when it is likely to appear, or is it a male, female, etc, this is what you need.
    Link - http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/drago...436991286?mt=8

The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) - this is a great app, while free for your PC, but currently £5.99 for iPhone/iPad. This is a global tool to see where and when the sun will rise and set, you can work out when you need to be in the location to get that rare shot of the sun in just the right place.
    Link - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-p...366195670?mt=8

Marine Tides Planner - the free version gives today's heights and times, particularly useful if you want to know if there is any beach to stand on for your sunrise or sunset masterpiece.
    Link - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marin...317900837?mt=8

Planets - this free sky chart app gives a good 2D and 3D view of the sky. The 3D is great for being able to get details of what you are looking at, as well as tracking objects such as the moon, being able to see where there they are and also where they will be.
    Link - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/planets/id305793334?mt=8

Off course I missed that you have the ability to read the most excellent EOS Magazine on your device, a great way to access useful and handy reference material!

While this post is slightly longer than I wanted, I hope this sort of item would be of interest to others? I would love to hear what else other people use, I am sure there are plenty of variations on the above, but these are what I am currently experimenting with - the problem is while many apps are free, some are quite expensive and it is very easy to end up spending quite a lot of money. It is the sort of item you could do on an annual basis, updating on what is new.

I would love to see a nice "EF Lens Book - Eyes of EOS" Canon app, with expanded coverage that included the various cameras, lenses, flash and accessories. Those that used to get the EOS diary had access to simple reference lists of device functions and settings, an app would be a perfect format for this sort of material, especially when you are in the field and trying something new. It would be great if it covered all lenses, so include the back catalogue, we all cannot upgrade all the time and I have some old lenses I am in no rush to update or replace. I would like to see listed the information you forget, filter sizes, magnification, close focusing tables, especially details around converters and extension tubes, MTF tables would be nice??
    Last edited by John Baker; 23-01-2012, 10:42.

Re: Photo Apps for phones and devices

Thanks john, very thoughtful and useful.
    Raj
    Raj
    Flickr

Comment

Thanks Raj, this was only a starter, I have not included any of the great mapping or weather apps or even simple file management, including the wonderful Dropbox which has changed the way I work and share information. Presently I am not so interested in the multitude of photo manipulation apps, as I tend to do all that on my PC, but appreciate they may be useful for some? But it would be interesting to hear how people are using them, it may be I am missing some tricks here?

Comment

Thanks for taking the time.. that was really helpful.
        “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
        http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Some great apps there. Thanks. PhotoCaddy is one I find useful too, contains some great tips for shooting in various locations, conditions, subjects etc along with common settings used.
          Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

PhotoCaddy "sister" .... Photo Academy on the iPhone I find very handy as a quick "ready reckoner"

David
            David

Comment

Since doing the original post I have added...

Plane Finder HD Free & Plane Finder HD
              - having spent the last couple of weeks on holiday in Lanzarote, one of the fun activities was going to the end of the main airport runway to see the flights coming in, on a busy summer changeover day you can get 120 + landings and takeoffs. I started with the Plane Finder HD Free app, which gave a restricted view of flight details. Moving up to the full copy for £4.99 gave a lot more detail and information.
              I have also added the National Trust app, plus the one for the Forestry Commission -ForestXplorerr. I am also currently experimenting with some spirit level, to see if they add anything - I quite like the audio alarm when trying to set my tripod level in the dark! Also very handy when hanging pictures to ensure they are level.

I was really hopping for some more feedback on what other people are using on their phones and hand held devices???

Comment

NDCalc

Particularly useful when using a 10 stopper (ND3.0) Neutral Density Filter, take the exposure without the filter and it calculates the exposure with the filter in place.
                Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

On the Android platform I can recommend Photo Tools Pro [ https://market.android.com/details?i...phototools.pro ] (paid app but with a free version too [ https://market.android.com/details?i...oid.phototools.. ]) which has all kinds of useful tools (DoF & Hyperfocal Distance calculator, Field of View calculator, Exposure Reciprocation calculator, Greycard, and loads more).

Like John I also use the Photographer's Ephemeris [ https://market.android.com/details?i...ing.tpeandroid.. ] but tend to use the PC version beforehand rather than the Android App (£3.15) on site.

The Google Sky Map [ https://market.android.com/details?i...roid.stardroid.. ] which is free is an excellent real time star chart - simply aim your phone's camera at the sky and the GPS allows the phone to show you on screen what you are looking at.

Comment

Les/Hawkeye, many thanks for your contributions, there are definitely some great tools to be had. Les I also found the Long Time Exposure Calculator which is free app, that runs from 2 through to 20 stop, they both work nicely with the FotometerPro app mentioned above.

Comment

Here is my list for my iPad and iPod Touch:

Fotometer Pro
                      SoftBox Pro - turns the iPad into a very interesting light table and light source
                      LongTime

Then for basic/intermediate adjustments
                      Snapseed
                      Camera +

And finally:
                      Instagram - just because it is such a great way to share photos.

I use the Camera Connector Kit to load images onto the iPad. This is great when you want to review them and you are away from your home workstation.

Comment

Thanks Nigels, that SoftBox Pro looks really interesting - there are a couple of variations, see the main web site - I was particularly interested in the remote add on - great link - thanks...

Comment

Adobe have released Photoshop Touch for the iPad 2 today.

Linky thing

As stated above I use Snapseed and Camera + but I might try this as well.

Comment

Thank you for these, had an android phone and had apps but just moved to a iphone and didn't have a clue about which was good and which was bad. Downloaded and seeing how they work as I type. :smile:
                            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                            Di's Flickr

Comment

DeeGee let me know how you get on, I recently added LightTrac which is a cheaper variation of The Photographer's Ephemeris, I have both installed and they do slightly different things, must admit I love the terrain maps on the iPad version of TPE...

Comment

Working...
                              X