Am I In Focus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I In Focus?

I've gotten it in my head that my Canon D50 is not in focus, and when I look at some shots it seems definite, and then when I look at yet others I wonder what more could I ask.

If some of you would be so kind to look at the shot at and see what you think. I think this is definitely in focus and that I'm just trying to subliminally give myself a reason to buy a 7D.

BTW, this was a high-noon shot from my balcony in Bangkok, so very strong sun, and I took it in A-DEP.

Thanks for your help and thoughts.
    Last edited by vinlyn09; 17-11-2009, 05:45. Reason: Having trouble getting photo uploaded

Re: Am I In Focus?

Comment

If you tried harder - you could have linked to a larger image! Rhodopsin (forum member) will not be happy!

Anyhow - shot looks to be in focus to me if a little "soft"! Did you apply any Post Processing. Was it shot RAW or JPEG?

If you are worried about focus, try testing with a "focus chart". That's by far and away the best starting point. A controlled test. You can find one here... [click on link]
      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Got fed up waiting for it to load......

Comment

It looks in focus to me. You certainly won't be winning many friends by uploading an 8mb file to illustrate your problem. A section of the image one tenth of the size would have been as effective, in fact probably more effective as many people will have given up waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
            If you tried harder - you could have linked to a larger image! Rhodopsin (forum member) will not be happy!

Yes, I learned very quickly that I didn't know how to post in this forum. I actually thought the way I linked would let people go to the original site, if they wanted to. And then I couldnt' determine how to correct it. Egads! What a clod I can be.

Anyhow - shot looks to be in focus to me if a little "soft"! Did you apply any Post Processing. Was it shot RAW or JPEG?

Jpeg. Slight enhancement to color and intensity, but no sharpening at all.

If you are worried about focus, try testing with a "focus chart". That's by far and away the best starting point. A controlled test. You can find one here... [click on link]
            I appreciate your advice very much!

Comment

Can you make it bigger I am struggling to see it
              All the best
              Peter Woods LRPS

My Web Site

Comment

The picture is in focus.....but your mind needs a little more focusing.....just buy the 7D - that bit of extra resolution might give your mind the focus that you need.
                Why deny yourself...just do it!
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                  The picture is in focus.....but your mind needs a little more focusing.....just buy the 7D - that bit of extra resolution might give your mind the focus that you need.
                  Why deny yourself...just do it!
                  Alright...if you say so.

I actually think that's what I will do, although I will probably wait a few months to:
                  1. See for sure what they do with a replacement for the 50D (in watching a video about the 7D, Canon said it was not a replacement for the 50D...leads me to think a 60D is coming).
                  2. Wait for the inevitable price drop.
                  3. Wait for the bugs to be fixed.

I'm thinking late spring...but since I'm living in Bangkok I'm dreading seeing what the price tag will be.

Comment

What are the settings you used for this shot - and what lens?
                    ef-r

Comment

Vince thanks for sharing. It's probably best to post a link to really big images rather than post them directly into the forum. Your website's bandwidth will be eaten up quickly if loads of people view this image.

Back to the image.

It seems a tad grainy for ISO 200, have you introduced this during your post processing, or have you just cropped it a bit and posted as was ? THe great thing about very big images is that you notice things that would have otherwise gone un-noticed at 800 px widest.

I hope you enjoy your 7D, if you decide to take the plunge !

Millie

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                        What are the settings you used for this shot - and what lens?
                        Lens = Canon EFS 17-85, AF mode.

A-DEP (to attempt to eliminate my errors).

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                          Vince thanks for sharing. It's probably best to post a link to really big images rather than post them directly into the forum. Your website's bandwidth will be eaten up quickly if loads of people view this image.

Back to the image.

It seems a tad grainy for ISO 200, have you introduced this during your post processing, or have you just cropped it a bit and posted as was ? THe great thing about very big images is that you notice things that would have otherwise gone un-noticed at 800 px widest.

I hope you enjoy your 7D, if you decide to take the plunge !

Millie

The only post-processing I did was a slight increase in contrast, but no sharpening or any other adjustment.

Comment

Working...
                          X