Focusing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Focusing

How do you know if the dioptic adjuster is adjusted correctly for the individual?
    I have tried using auto-focus allowing it to focus (Bleep) and changing to manual focus then sliding the optical adjuster to what I make out to be "In focus" is this right?
    I don't seem to be able to get relly sharp pictures I use the 350D with the standard supplied EFS 18 - 55mm lens and also the Canon zoom lens 75 - 300mm 1:4 - 5.6 mk2

Re: Focusing

sococsi,
    Adjusting the diopter adjustment wheel on your camera wont affect your images, this is for individual eyesight, basically look through the view finder then adjust the wheel until the image appears sharp (in your eyes). As for not being able to get sharp images, its maybe best to post some on here (in the relevent section) with the exif information and let people look at them to see if there is anything obvious.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the reply Steve.
      Sorry to repeat the question though.
      I adjust the dioptic to suit my eyes and what I see through this determins what adjustments I make to the focusing of my photograph?
      But if someone else then used my camera they could then look through the dioptic and re-focus to their eyes this would mean that only one of us could be right, or even both of us not focusing correctly?
      So should the auto focus be trusted and set the dioptic from the auto focus image?

Comment

Yes. The adjustment only affects the viewfinder, not the cameras autofocus/focus confimation. If you adjust the setting for you eyes (if you actually need it...do you normally wear specs?) if someone else uses your camera they will need to adjust the setting for their eyes. Its the same as a pair of binoculars etc.

Graeme

Comment

I can see it causing a problem if you are using manual focus though.

Comment

Thanks again for replying, but.........
            How do I know that the lens is in focus on a subject I am looking at through the dioptic?
            when I look through it I make a decision to manouvre the focusing ring until it is to me in focus but was it already in focus and my dioptic was not?
            I d wear glasses for reading and close up.
            I think I'm asking this question wrong but hang in with me until I get it right!

Comment

For those who aren't quite sure of AF, or who prefer to use manual focus, there are (dare I say it) 'old-school' split focusing screens available for most EOS cameras. Here's one for the 350D.
              Dave

Comment

You adjust the dioptic until the camera info i.e shutter speed etc is sharp and thats all the dioptic does nothing more nothing less, Its for people who wear glasses or need their eyes tested, if the camera info is sharp then thats all you need to know, The AF will give you a sharp image and if you manual focus you do it by eye and as long as the dipotic is set then you should/will get a sharp image

Comment

If using AF then the dioptic is not going to make any difference. But for manual focus it does. To test it I set the centre-point AF, put the camera on a tripod, and focus on something still using AF. Then looking through the viewfinder it should look in focus at the centre, if not then adjust the diopter until it is. You also have a problem if you share optics with a partner - I'm forever changing the diopter on our binoculars where my wife has used them.

Comment

When all else fails, read the instructions.

There is most probably an entry such as 'Dioptric Adjustment' in the index of the camera's user manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Gottshots View Post
                      When all else fails, read the instructions.

There is most probably an entry such as 'Dioptric Adjustment' in the index of the camera's user manual.
                      Naaah! Manuals are there for when you've broken something, to find out what you did to break it. Forums are more fun...
                      Dave

Comment

Adjust the dioptric wheel until the information in the viewfinder is sharp (focussing points, shutter speed etc. ) It may be easier if you leave the lens cap on for this then you have no distractions. That is all you need to do. Once you have done this, it means that the eyepiece is focussed perfectly on the focussing screen. If you now use manual focus, when your image appears sharp in the viewfinder, it will be sharp on the photo.
                        My Website

Comment

Half press the fire button, the camera will focus, then adjust the dioptic so that the image you can see is also in focus. If using manual focus, set the dioptic in auto focus before switching to manual.
                          David

http://hotkeezphotography.blogspot.com/

Comment

To compensate for eyesight differences all Canon EOS cameras allow you to adjust the dioptre of the viewfinder. When you look through the viewfinder, you’re looking at an image projected onto the focusing screen. If the focusing screen is not in focus for your eyes, you won’t be able to tell if an image is in focus before taking the picture. Look at the viewfinder. You should see a small wheel with a +/– marking. Look through the viewfinder and activate the camera by half pressing the shutter button. Rotate the dial until the focus points and viewfinder info is in focus. The adjustment range is +3 to –1. If you need more adjustment, you can buy dioptre adjustment lenses to fit your EOS camera.

Comment

Working...
                            X