X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loose
    replied
    Re: Enjoying film

I used to 6 bath process all my E6 with a Jobo processer and Tetnal chemistry. I found 6 bath easier, less variable and quicker. It is good to do a final rinse before drying in wetting agernt and 0.5% formaldehyde, which stablises the colour, hardens the emulshion and helps protect against fungal spores. In 25 years I never lost a film from processing error, unlike professional labs I used.

Leave a comment:

• Treff
    replied

I used the F1 professionally for years and it as to be my most favourite cameras of all time. Got one in the loft of the house somewhere. Made to last a lifetime of use and abuse. Enjoy film there is something magical still in the chemistry of film. The nostalgia of it all comes flooding back lol.

Leave a comment:

• El Sid
    replied

Closest pre EOS Canon to the Nikon F3 would be the Canon F1 or more probably the New F1 (aka F1n) - there's a handy resource here if you want to read about it.

Note that pre-EOS film cameras use a different mount. The older cameras use either the FD mount or if they're really old the FL mount - FL lenses will fit FD mount cameras but not vice-versa and neither will fit the EF mount used in the EOS series.

EOS film cameras use the same mount as your 6D so no mounting issues but like the 6D they are battery dependent - no battery, no pix...

I had an F70 once - really didn't like it at all...

Leave a comment:

• makinworks
    replied

oops i wrote this in a canon group by mistake.....doh! im canon now with 6D

but shoot bronica 120/220 and n70 nikon 35mm
    no old canon cameras hmmmm......that makes me wonder
    what would be comparison to the olf nikon f3 that ran on watch battery
    i think or maybe any manual camera that is canon that you could use in the desert....without needing to worry about charging batteries?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• makinworks
    replied

hey y'all

all this talk about film has got me back into my kits
    i realize i did sell an f3 to obtain a digital nikon camera and lens my first d-90 and 10mm fisheye

i however, didn't realize that my sb17 flash head and cable extention are now obsolete without that camera?

is this correct? or can i get an adaptor to hotshoe to use this flash in manual mode....?

thanks for any advice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• jpgrf
    replied

If you are after a cheaper way of doing it:
    Poundland agfa 200 (sometimes agfa 100) £1 for 24 exposure roll
    Asda develop £2 per film and scan to CD up to 3 films for £1.

Scan quality isn't anything special but it means you can buy three films have them developed and scanned to CD for £10.

Leave a comment:

• Gary - Fulham
    replied

Have enjoyed my newly purchased F1 and recently got a fine FD breechlock 50 mm f1.4 ssc lens too

Leave a comment:

• dazzlingdave1948
    replied

I guess like a lot of others on here I have used film for more years than I care to think about. I now own a couple of DSLRs as well as A G11 compact. As a go to system I will always go for one of the digital cameras but I still enjoy going out with a film camera and as the price of FD mount cameras has dropped like a stone I was able, last year, to buy a Canon F1 which I could never have justified the cost of even 10 years ago. Colour print film is still processed on the High Street in many places so I can take pictures in the morning and have them back by evening and still at a relatively low cost. I don't think I'll ever build another darkroom though, it will be commercial processing for B&W from now on.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• CountDavid
    replied

When I shot tranny I used Peter Gafney in Birmingham for processing. I understand they have been taken over by AG Photo Lab. You can see their details at http://www.ag-photolab.co.uk/contact-us-2-w.asp.

David

Leave a comment:

• kelly200269
    replied

Cheers for the info Gary :)

Leave a comment:

• Gary - Fulham
    replied

Yes, and though B&W film is still quite cheap, slide film has rocketed in price and plunged in availability. It is really just Mailshots and Photouk.co.uk that sell it now. Fujilab is closing for E6 development in NOvember but the lab is continuing as a private company. E6 processing is now harder to do and more expensive. Ilford Lab is good for B&W

Leave a comment:

• kelly200269
    replied

I love shooting the odd roll of film, but there's one thing that stops me shooting more...the cost.
    Shooting digital is just so much cheaper

Leave a comment:

• wayne2418
    replied

Originally posted by paulr5604 View Post
    I I certainly would not want to cover a wedding with a film camera. Some of the more experienced photographers on here probably wouldn't hesitate to use film for weddings etc and I take my hat off to them.
    Whole heartedly agree with you there Paul ...

Leave a comment:

• paulr5604
    replied

I started my photography with a film SLR as I was given it by a relative and couldn't afford a DSLR. I learnt a lot and got some very nice results. Would I go back? No, I think that DSLR's offer everything that film did for me with the convenience of seeing what you have taken straight away. I certainly would not want to cover a wedding with a film camera. Some of the more experienced photographers on here probably wouldn't hesitate to use film for weddings etc and I take my hat off to them.

Leave a comment:

• jimsphotography
    replied

I can understand the interest in film photography for those that have never tried it but for those of us who were brought up with film the vast majority would not go back to those days of smelly dark rooms & never seeing what you took until weeks later etc. I suppose that now using film has some esoteric value and as such will continue to be used by some because of that.
    Just out of interest the silver halide crystals that are the recording mechanism of film can only be black or clear (equivalent to 0 or 1) so basically film is a digital recording mechanism. Electronic cameras have a huge electron well depth for each sensing pixel and hence are essentially analogue recording mechanisms - then the post sensing analogue to digital converter device in every DSLR turns this into a digital record at a later stage. So should we call film cameras digital and electronic cameras analogue ?
    James

Leave a comment:

Working...
X