FD Lens cleaning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FD Lens cleaning.

Happy Sunday everyone. Hope we're all enjoying the warmer temps and making the most of it.

I've recently dug out a couple of my grandads old FD mount lenses and I was wondering if anybody know anything about cleaning the outer lens element, as a couple of them have a few fungus spots. Or does anybody know anyone who offers a service for cleaning vintage lenses.

I appreciate this could be a long shot, but I really like the aesthetics when shooting with them on my 40D. It has a softer look that I just like, so i want to carry on using them for a little longer yet.

Plus, some of the prices on new lenses now waaay out of my price range.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Taking another crack at this as it's been over a year so hoping some new members have joined up and might be able to offer some help.

Can anybody point me in the right direction of a company that may service these old/vintage lenses. My FD 70-150 has developed sticky aperture blades, and I came to use it the other day and it was completely stuck on f3.5. After manually working the 2 levers on the back on lens for about 10 minutes that control the aperture, I was able to free them up again . I don't want this to become a lens that's destined for the shelf as I do enjoy using it and offers decent clarity even when used on my 40d with an adapter. So looking to get it cleaned and serviced. Hopefully get another couple of years out of it.

Thanks all.

Comment

Nat, there was someone on here quite some time back who had taken a lens apart. I can’t recall who it was but remember he put a picture up of himself doing it. I think it was about cleaning
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
        Nat, there was someone on here quite some time back who had taken a lens apart. I can’t recall who it was but remember he put a picture up of himself doing it. I think it was about cleaning
        Ahh excellent thanks Trev, I'll do some digging around

Comment

Originally posted by NathCarr91 View Post
          Taking another crack at this as it's been over a year so hoping some new members have joined up and might be able to offer some help.

Can anybody point me in the right direction of a company that may service these old/vintage lenses. My FD 70-150 has developed sticky aperture blades, and I came to use it the other day and it was completely stuck on f3.5. After manually working the 2 levers on the back on lens for about 10 minutes that control the aperture, I was able to free them up again . I don't want this to become a lens that's destined for the shelf as I do enjoy using it and offers decent clarity even when used on my 40d with an adapter. So looking to get it cleaned and serviced. Hopefully get another couple of years out of it.

Thanks all.
          You could try Newton Ellis of Liverpool - a number of vintage camera users on the late Amateur Photographer forum seemed to be quite happy with their services.
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post

You could try Newton Ellis of Liverpool - a number of vintage camera users on the late Amateur Photographer forum seemed to be quite happy with their services.
            Thanks for this Nigel, that's really helpful. I'm going to contact them over the weekend and get some information.

Comment

Working...
            X