Classifieds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classifieds...

Is it just me or does it disappoint/annoy anyone else that when some items are sold the OP deletes the thread completely?

I can understand the thread being locked once the item has sold but deleted...it would be good to see what the item(s) condition was and what price it went for IMHO.

It's nothing personal and probably says more about me than the person who deletes the advert (I mean it is theirs after all) it's just that I for one would find it handy whether a buyer or seller to see what the going rate for an item of interest might have been.

The way my mind works (and bearing in mind what can & does happen on classified forums from time-to-time) I have to wonder why this is.

To be honest it wouldn't fill me with confidence if I ever wanted to buy something from someone who has deleted his/her advert and 'covered their tracks' no matter how honest & genuine they might be!

Thanks for listening...

Kind regards,
    -=Glyn=-
    Last edited by GlynH; 08-07-2012, 11:01.

Re: Classifieds...

Or could it be that, having sold the item, the member doesn't wish to annoy other members that would like to purchase it, only to find out that it has already been sold.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Another photography forum I use, they have a buy/sell section, and the mods insist the details are left intact after the item has been sold (including the selling price), and they have a thread action for closing & then archiving the thread, the thread then gets automatically moved to the Sale/trade archive section. That way , it covers Glyn's points, and also Colin's, and it stops the active sell section from being cluttered up with items that have already been sold.

It takes some close moderation (I understand) to keep it running smoothly though, but it works well.
      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Personally once an item is sold I feel it should be deleted.
        If one would like to know the going rate for a second-hand photographic item then just look on eBay.

Comment

Which was why I suggested the thread be locked! Maybe include the word SOLD! in the subject line in bold capital letters. Or replace the Delete button and replace it with an Archive button. Or something...:)

-=Glyn=-

Originally posted by colin C View Post
          Or could it be that, having sold the item, the member doesn't wish to annoy other members that would like to purchase it, only to find out that it has already been sold.

Colin
          Last edited by GlynH; 09-07-2012, 14:25.

Comment

That's all well & good but eBay prices are so variable and can be dragged down by scammers or uplifted by those out to make as much money as they can.

Things can go too far...look on AVForums for example where the rules are so draconian it puts one off advertising anything.

Maybe its just me then...but if I wanted to buy from eBay I would be looking amongst the free-for-all that masquerades as eBay and not on a dedicated, enthusiast forum like this one where things are much simpler, easier to find and give me a feel good factor/peace of mind that the money I spend stands a much better chance of helping another, like-minded community photographer and not someone out to make a quick buck.

-=Glyn=-

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
            Personally once an item is sold I feel it should be deleted.
            If one would like to know the going rate for a second-hand photographic item then just look on eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by GlynH View Post
              That's all well & good but eBay prices are so variable and can be dragged down by scammers or uplifted by those out to make as much money as they can.

Maybe its just me then...but if I wanted to buy from eBay I would be looking amongst the free-for-all that masquerades as eBay and not on a dedicated, enthusiast forum like this one where things are much simpler, easier to find and give me a feel good factor/peace of mind that the money I spend stands a much better chance of helping another, like-minded community photographer and not someone out to make a quick buck.
              Are the sellers of photographic equipment on eBay themselves "like-minded" photographers? (excluding businesses).
              As a seller on eBay and I have sold a lot of photographic equipment over the past 4 years, and I mean alot, I list my item hoping to get the best possible price, less eBay costs. All my transactions have been good, no scammers although I did get the odd message, like how much to Nigeria, but sold to honest "like-minded" people generally from the UK.

On forums like this one I have noticed in the classified section that some (a small minority) "like-minded" photographers are asking virtually new prices for second-hand equipment. There is no way that I would have a "feel good factor/peace of mind" buying off these people. Would you buy a second-hand lens for say £650.00 + postage when you can buy a new one for £695.00 + free postage + warranty?

Just my views ... as a seller on eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by GlynH View Post
                Is it just me or does it disappoint/annoy anyone else that when some items are sold the OP deletes the thread completely?
                I guess those are the rules:

How to use EOS magazine classified adverts

Please delete your advert as soon as the featured item is sold. Adverts will disappear one month after they have been posted. If the item has not been sold you can post the details again.

Comment

Welcome back Glenn.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

the member doesn't wish to annoy other members that would like to purchase it, only to find out that it has already been sold.

-------------------------
                    Take Your Time to Indulge on All the Awesome DVDs -Sons Of Anarchy Season 5 DVD in the World!

Comment

Welcome back Glenn.

Colin
                      Sorry Colin, I missed your post back in July

Comment

Glad you are still about buddy.
                        Colin

Comment

Glad you are still about buddy.
                          Yes still around although more as a lurker. Will be at HCT on Sat for the annual xmas lunch if you're around

Comment

Are the Hawks joining you for the lunch as well?
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I recently sold a lens through the classifieds and the thread disappeared after I had agreed the deal, but before it was concluded - no idea how this happened. I would have happily left it there for others to see, but have no idea why it disappeared -has someone got ESP.

The advert was also on another Canon forum and it is still there, but marked as sold.
                              Last edited by Northman; 05-12-2012, 00:40.

Comment

Working...
                              X