Why is this site so complex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why is this site so complex?

Hi, welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing some photos from you on here.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

Hi Chris,

Welcome. I am pretty new here and have found this probably the easiest of any forum that I go on

Ian
      Ian

Comment

Not new, but getting more active. On entering your FORUM, I have been recognised, I can see my profile (did some editing added a photo) and I note that I can "LOG OUT" at the extreme right. To me, and reminding myself of some 30 years in IT,that implies that I am "LOGGED IN". Yet I went to "Refurbished cameras from Canon 'Outlet' Site" from MX5 on 23-08-2012. Then down to mwphoto on 23-08-2012 and clicked on the highlighted (red) "this thread" to be told I'm not logged in!
        So maybe not complex, but certainly not logical. I have a strong feeling that I will be told it's my fault!!

Comment

Originally posted by Myrddin Jones View Post
          .....I have a strong feeling that I will be told it's my fault!!
          I doubt that, it's not the way here.

Welcome to the forums by the way
          Bob Turner
          Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Hi Myrddin

In order to post to the forum, you need to be logged in by entering your user name and password at the top of the screen. Just underneath the user name box is a small "tick box". If you tick it as you sign in, a cookie is placed on your computer to create an everlasting log in, and when you next visit the site you will find that you are still logged in. If you click log out, the cookie is removed and next time you visit you will need to log in again either for this session only (don't tick the box) or permanently (tick the box).

Of course if you use a "cleaning tool" e.g. Ccleaner, or delete all cookies in Windows, the Forum cookie will be removed & you will need to log in again.

Please ask if there is anything above that is not clear.
            Russell
            Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Not new, but getting more active. On entering your FORUM, I have been recognised, I can see my profile (did some editing added a photo) and I note that I can "LOG OUT" at the extreme right. To me, and reminding myself of some 30 years in IT,that implies that I am "LOGGED IN". Yet I went to "Refurbished cameras from Canon 'Outlet' Site" from MX5 on 23-08-2012. Then down to mwphoto on 23-08-2012 and clicked on the highlighted (red) "this thread" to be told I'm not logged in!
              So maybe not complex, but certainly not logical. I have a strong feeling that I will be told it's my fault!!
              mwphoto provided an external link to a thread on the talkphotography forum. If you want to read this thread you must register with the talkphotography forum.
              Robert
              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Most everything we use these days has a user interface and (I speak as someone who has been using computers since the 60's) there is no standardised interface per se. So each device, each interface, each service tends to require anything from very little to quite a lot of learning. I for one find SAP impenetrable! But the Unix command line very logical So this site has its own ways of doing things (within the constraints of vBulletin that 'powers' it) ... nothing elaborate, nothing hard ... I've not checked (but Robert will know) if there's a posting of click-by-click instructions on how to do the 10 (or however many) most common (whatever that means) operations. Bit like the local work instructions I get my technical people to write for the support people.

I understand the frustration of folk who want to get onto a new forum and be posting within 300 seconds. But each forum has it's quirks or whatever you want to call it's features!

Comment

Welcome to the forums Chris. I'm grumpy too from time to time so I feel a bit more at home now :)
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Re my posting
                    Bawbee - it was a semi joke, but nice to hear your response.
                    Columbarius - agree with and aware of all you said, and as I was logged on (automatically) I was able to do my posting.
                    Robert - thanks , that explains it all. (As a side issue, I did manage to get 2 new subscribers for the Magazine recently, both very thrilled).
                    MX5 - 60's was a stating point in computing for both of us!
                    Remaining problem - got my photo showing in my Profile, but not yet on postings.

Comment

...Bawbee - it was a semi joke, but nice to hear your response.....
                      That can be dangerous on some of the forums that I frequent

BTW - Your location: would that be the one South of Aberdeen?
                      Bob Turner
                      Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Yes indeed, south of Aberdeen, but somewhat north of Dundee.
                        Gosh, I must stop jokoing around.
                        Cheers

Comment

deleted
                          Last edited by NickM; 11-07-2014, 01:03.
                          I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

I dont know what your worried about.
                            I can only find the start new post/start new thread button on the how to post images on the forum, forum. Even mr robert scott has fail to help me

Comment

Just wondering, you are aware that the start new post/thread only appears at the very top of the forum page when your are in an individual section?

Or do you mean that its even missing from here?
                              Attached Files
                              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                              Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X