Bird identification section.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bird identification section.

Thought about this a while ago - how about a section alphabetically titled for different bird species? so people like me who struggle going through pages and pages of 'possible species' can see actual photo's - does that make sense?

.DAVID.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Re: Bird identification section.

David try this website

Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

That's cool BUT - it's still the same 'drawn' pictures that are in most of the books.

What brought this to mind again was seeing Stan's post with the goldfinch etc. A well captured shot that I can look at and compare with mine.

Think it would work 'possibly'

.DAVID.

Comment

Don't know what phone you have but certainly on Android there is good app, Birds of Britain. Has photographs, description and sound file of call. Usually cost 69p (I think) but sometimes comes up for free on Amazon app store.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Another terrific suggestion

BUT

It's not really adding a new idea to the forum. Guess the idea sucks huh

.DAVID.

Comment

me and stan could probably fill it it in a week

Comment

Not really a bad idea, just that to do a proper job it would be quite an undertaking as potentially you'd need a number of images for each species : male, female, winter and summer plumage for each sex, immature m&f, flight below and above. Not forgetting variations that naturally occur.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                Not really a bad idea, just that to do a proper job it would be quite an undertaking as potentially you'd need a number of images for each species : male, female, winter and summer plumage for each sex, immature m&f, flight below and above. Not forgetting variations that naturally occur.
                Gee's your right, the version I have in my head now is much simpler
                It's a bird!!!

.DAVID.

Comment

Just a thought, would it be possible to put keywords on images so as to be able to search for them, don't know if this would help with Davids query

Alan

Comment

I learn as I go along here

I post a picture of a "sparrow", and get told that its a Dunnock, then a picture of an "Australian Crow", only to be told its a Jackdaw.

There are a lot of people on here that know their birds, and they will soon put you straight.

Dave
                    Dave

Comment

Nice idea - but where do you stop........

I have difficulty in identifying Dragonflies/Damselflies.....Not to mention the myriad of different Flies......or Spiders......or.....et al

As Dave S say's, there is usually someone that can identify an unknown species for people.
                      Regards
                      Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
                      7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
                      24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

I think it is a good idea in principle but could get out of hand unless a moderator, with suitable knowledge, was assigned to manage it. For instance if I posted an image of a particular species and a week later Stan posted another of the same that better typified the species then someone has to make the decision to delete mine to avoid confusion, and would I be upset? Probably not but some would. Sorry to appear negative but it is easy to give birth to Dracula if we are not careful.

David
                        PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Comment

Nice idea, but as said by others, it's going a bit too far. Leave things as they are. We'd than have to have correctly identified cars of every age and type.

There are plenty of resources available on line for checking id of birds. Even then, there's room for error - eclipse plumage, odd lighting, wrong id on a posting, distant shot etc.. Best of all, get a book like Collins Field Guide - the price of a cheap SD card. Try and find out what you have seen/photo'd before posting.
                          - I am happy to chip in with a suggestion when a poster does not know or is unsure. I Know others have done so as well. I know a bit, wife knows more.
                          ( nothing on telly, hence the wordy reply...)

Comment

Aha! An example.
                            samFisher has posted a lovely photo of a harlequin duck under the Birds section.
                            It's a first-winter male. (It's in Feb issue of British Birds... I wouldn't have known otherwise). Looks nothing like the summer plumage ones we saw loads of in Iceland.
                            An extreme example to make the point, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                            X