Like / Dislike / Ratings..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like / Dislike / Ratings..

had a random thought but not sure if this is possible to implement.... (but most forums have add-ins available)

..many websites for sharing things (like facebook, digg etc) have a way of showing that you like what you see, so was thinking this could be a handy thing for a forum like this. - A lot of times people post photos which I like, but I don't necessarily have any comment I wish to make, but if you could see a count of how many people clicked the "Like" button it could be a nice way of getting feedback?

Or alternatively you could have little click-able stars like in Adobe Lightroom so you could have a rating of how much you would score the photo out of 5..
    Good Idea
    73.08%
    Bad Idea
    15.38%
    No Idea :-)
    11.54%
    Last edited by stalker; 11-01-2011, 08:45.

Re: Like / Dislike / Ratings..

I think it's a great idea. Often I view a nice picture but don't have any comment to make other than I liked it, so I don't. vBulletin offers a 'Thanks' feature which might be tweakable. (Are we on vB?)
    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I'm not sure about anonymous neg ratings or dislikes, hence my "don't know" vote

Trev

Comment

Stuck at 16 votes doesn't seem a great response. Seems this idea isn't all that popular. Have to admit I voted 'yes' but wouldn't worry if it never happened.
        Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

Originally posted by ax2010@eircom.net View Post
          Stuck at 16 votes doesn't seem a great response

...one way to look at it is that many more people have voted than commented on this thread so far, which kinda justifies my thought that sometimes it is handy to be able to express your opinion by clicking something even if you don't have any comment to make!

Comment

Its seems a nice idea in principle, but I think it may lead to people taking the easier click-button option, rather than posting a more meaningful response. One of the great things about this particular forum is the very active involvement of the participants which in itself encourages those of us posting shots on the site for review. Personally, I think it could lead to this being a less active forum over time.
            David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
            All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

On reflection, David, I think you're right. The considered comments are a great feature of this forum.
              Garrett

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

That is really a good point Pinkees, the convienience of the suggestion is excellent, but as a beginer I enjoy reading the comments from the more enlightened among us, I have learned a lot over the last few months, but, also as a beginer I sometimes feel a bit of a fraud making comments when I certainly could not do any better.

Ray

Comment

from my perspective, I see this as an extra feature - not a replacement to comments.. where I've seen this kind of thing used on social networks, it adds to the communication rather than detracts..

Comment

I'm tuning my coat and going over to the good idea camp- just thought about it a bit more, and it looks like a good idea.
                    Maybe it would be hard to implement ??

Trev

Comment

I have to say I don't agree. The more I think about it the more I feel that the possibility of just clicking 'like'/'dislike' or 'yes'/'no' is too easy and would probably lead to off the cuff verdicts rather than considered opinions. Human nature is essentially lazy and anxious to avoid the embarrassment of having to state an unfavourable opinion -- especially in the relatively small community of the forum, where so many members have obviously got to know each other well. Anyway, if Trev changes his mind in one direction and I do in the opposite direction, the overall picture doesn't change.
                      Garrett

Comment

It is an interesting thread this. I do feel that my view is backed up by the statistics as well. so far, there have been 7 of us who have replied, yet 22 have voted.
                        Please do keep in mind though that I am not saying it is a bad idea, as I think the members who are committed enough will probably still offer their comments and support as fully as ever. My fear is that over time, that will diminish.
                        David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
                        All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Working...
                        X