Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New lighting section ?

Dear Admins,
    Great forum, thanks for giving us this space to chat about the EOS system; and photography generally.
    Could we please have a section for off camera lighting techniques, questions, and discussions?

Provided enough people are interested, of course :-)

Trev

Re: New lighting section ?

Hands up. I'm interested, especially if people also talk about "cheat" ways of doing things that don't cost a fortune.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
      Hands up. I'm interested, especially if people also talk about "cheat" ways of doing things that don't cost a fortune.
      There is a section that already handles this
      ef-r

Comment

I would like to see one on lighting techniques and set ups. count me in.
        David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
        All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
          There is a section that already handles this

Off to look for it.. thank you.
          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
          Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks to those who showed interest - looks like a section on lighting is a non-runner ?

Would the flashguns or accessories sections be the most appropriate for questions about lighting ?

Trev

Comment

Sorry Trevor missed this :) Shame not so many responses!
              5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

(Studio) Lighting is one thing I never got to grips with. Happen our lighting experts would do a heads up (sorry horrid expression) ... do a Ladybird Guide ... yes I really do need the basics and I am hopefully not alone (red faced if I am!). Flash (and multiple flash) I can do ... but Bowens, Barn Doors, Snouts, and the like and I haven't a clue. I did try (studio lighting) back in the 70's with a Hasselblad and studio I had free access to ... but that was it.

So Trev ... good itea.

Comment

Sorry Trevor missed this :) Shame not so many responses!
                  I know the forum feedback section has been very busy the last day or two, so easily missed. :-)

MX5 looks like you and others have some valuable wisdom to impart, I realise there are other resources online, thought it would be good to have something here under this roof. :-)

Trev

Comment

I think it is a good idea, it is a very different subject to the Flashguns section.

It would certainly benefit amateurs like me, positioning, angles, power and types of lights etc really is a subject all of it's own.

Just an opinion from a learner

Paul

Comment

Studio flash is both very simple and very complex. The more you add the more complex it becomes. If you are interested you can start with a flash gun and an umberella - A flash gun works very much the same but just not as powerful or flexible as a larger strobe and is limited in that it uses batteries and recycle times are slower.... But in the right hands even small flash can make amazing images.....
                      5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Thanks for your support for the section Paul.
                        We are all learners, the nature and scope of photography means the learning is perpetual.

Trev

Comment

I would be iinterested in this section - I have learnt that multiple flash lights dont necessarily mean a complex set up nor huge softboxes or umbrellas and would be happy to pass this information on.
                          Last edited by briansquibb; 17-03-2011, 22:05.
                          ef-r

Comment

I'll add my support as this is something I would like to get into, especially OCF uses outside

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                              I'll add my support as this is something I would like to get into, especially OCF uses outside
                              I have been using OCF for (tame) wildlife photography - very easy and very effective.

On Saturday I am having my first serious shoot using second curtain flash - It would be interesting to try that on birds too (mine is with go karts)
                              ef-r

Comment

Working...
                              X