Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum issues after December 2019 update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the old forum gave the opportunity for e mail notification of replies to your posts - is this something that will be added to the new forum
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

As far as I'm aware it's already available - you should have a +SUBSCRIBE button at the top of the page when viewing a topic - click that and it will email when someone posts, it doesn't send an email though for each viewing if 10 people post to the same item you will only get 1 email saying there is a new post. After you visit the forum and view the post - it will then email again saying new post the 1st time someone replies. If there is no +SUBSCRIBE button let me know and I will have a look at permissions.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinEOS View Post
        As far as I'm aware it's already available - you should have a +SUBSCRIBE button at the top of the page when viewing a topic - click that and it will email when someone posts, it doesn't send an email though for each viewing if 10 people post to the same item you will only get 1 email saying there is a new post. After you visit the forum and view the post - it will then email again saying new post the 1st time someone replies. If there is no +SUBSCRIBE button let me know and I will have a look at permissions.
        thanks, yes I have seen the subscribe button and have used it on my posts and despite replies from members have not had any e mails although I have 1 notification, top right on the forum page which shows i have receied a comment form 2 members on one of the threads

flickr

Comment

Martin, there used to be a "Mark Forums Read" option, which was quite useful on occasion. Have I missed it, or has it been removed?
          Colin

Comment

Hi Colin, It was apparently removed in version 5.3.0 as it had only partial functionality, there does however appear to be a way of getting something like it back - I will have a look after Christmas at adding some code to do it. I think the problem is there are now lots of parts to vBulletin - Blogs, articles, forums and the original option pre 5.3.0 only worked correctly if you were in the correct place to run it. Rather than fix the problem they just disabled it

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

thanks, yes I have seen the subscribe button and have used it on my posts and despite replies from members have not had any e mails although I have 1 notification, top right on the forum page which shows i have receied a comment form 2 members on one of the threads
              Check your email settings in your settings (click on your name at the very top of the page - from the dropdown menu select settings, then the notifications tab and see what its set to - I would guess it's probably defaulted back to "Off, through message centre only".

Comment

Found it and turned it on, thank you

flickr

Comment

• MartinEOS
                  MartinEOS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Let me know if it works

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                Martin, there used to be a "Mark Forums Read" option, which was quite useful on occasion. Have I missed it, or has it been removed?
                Hi Colin, I've just found a method which should work now - if you go to the home page and scroll all the way down there is a bar across the page near the bottom - just above the statistics area which says "Mark Channels Read" - which should do what you want - Forums are now Channels according to vBulletin

Comment

Many thanks Martin
                  Colin

Comment

Martin, I still seem to be having a problem with some of my posts not being listed in the Latest Activity tab. It seems to be particularly applicable to my posts in Challenge 158.

I did a post a week ago extending the competition end date and another timed at 19:42 this evening as a reminder to bring it to the top of the list again. While both posts are there in the Challenge 158 folder itself, todays at least is not showing in the Latest Activity tab and therefore not immediately visible. I've tried looking using different systems (Win10 laptop, Ipad, iPhone) logged in and not logged in but no luck. I have even got another forum member to try using his log in at his location but still nothing. Can you advise please? Thanks

Ian
                    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Hi Ian, it appears for some reason posts in the photo challenge "channel/ forum" are not being included in searches - I've had a quick look at the setup and can't see any differences between it and others which are working. I will have a deeper look tomorrow and see if anything is set differently.

Comment

I think I've fixed it - there was a setting which was based on "thread start time" - as the thread was created more than 30 days ago it was being ignored in the search, i've unselected this option so it should now show all new posts regardless when the initial one was posted. It appears to have done something as the page count has gone up from 4 to 9 pages and your ones are now showing. Let me know if its now ok or still needs looking at.

Comment

Martin, Well done for finding what appears to be the problem, unfortunately it appears to have reverted as neither my posts nor the new picture are appearing in Latest Activity again
                          Ian

Comment

I can see your post relating to Challenge 158 being extended and the image by "leeperry" on page 3/10 of latest posts.

Comment

Sorry Martin nothing on my challenge forum is visible to me in Latest Activities. I’ve tried again using the Safari, Chrome, Edge and Firefox browsers on a variety of Apple, WIN10 and Vista machines all to no avail. It makes no difference whether the person looking is logged in or not. Is there a setting I need to change?

Is anyone else having this trouble or am I the only one?

Something I just noticed, When you go to the Forum tab a lot of the headings lead with blue boxes, the challenge one (together with others) are grey; is this significant?
                              Last edited by Farider; 29-12-2019, 21:13. Reason: Amended
                              Ian

Comment

Working...
                              X