Forum Challenge No 2 - 17th - 31st March. SYMMETRY - Perfect or Imperfect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Challenge No 2 - 17th - 31st March. SYMMETRY - Perfect or Imperfect

Challenge title - "SYMMETRY - PERFECT OR IMPERFECT".

Always been interested in symmetry, and the way that one thing can sometimes prevent symmetry being perfect, yet somehow that imperfection adds to the interest of the image.

So, this challenge is for an image that demonstrates either perfect symmetry or symmetry that would be perfect apart from one thing, it being clear from the image which of the two states has been achieved.

Our first challenge was fun. This one may be a bit more demanding in terms of both imagination and the technical side of things.

Millie's rules to be follwed, the same criteria used for judging, and two weeks allowed starting on the 17th.

Cheers, Chris.
    Last edited by Chris J; 16-03-2010, 19:28.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: Forum Challenge No 2 - 17th - 31st March. SYMMETRY - Perfect or Imperfect

As it happens, I took this on Sunday having been inspired by the symmetry of the theatre seating and the 'Wot' appearance of the actor.

Just slightly blurred, but it was veeeery dark.
    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

It's a shame it's soft due to shutter speed

Comment

Originally posted by gsgary View Post
        It's a shame it's soft due to shutter speed
        rule 7 broken , await your punishment sir ! !!

Comment

star wars 3.jpg

Star wars ............ the lego clone attack ........

Can one of the mods enlarge this somehow ......... am still not sure how to get up a full size image
          Last edited by X-ray-spex; 20-03-2010, 21:26.
          Cheers Mark

www.ms-photo.co.uk

Comment

Look this way please!

Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Strike-breaker!
              At least one BA flight took off this week-end!

I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
              Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Topiary....

Last edited by djguk47; 26-03-2010, 13:53. Reason: changed image size
                David

Comment

Honda CBX 6 cylinder motorcycle

ef-r

Comment

Church Ceiling.
                    Last edited by Doglet; 29-03-2010, 15:58. Reason: Just read rules
                    Ray

Comment

A testimony to Britain's Bronze age- Stonehenge, one of the world's most famous ancient monuments. A tribute to the engineering and logistical skills of our workforce about 5000 to 3000 years ago!

Last edited by Nathaniel; 29-03-2010, 17:18.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

OK, I know it's about half an hour past the 31st deadline, and I'll accept it gracefully if you need to exclude me for this, but if I had been able to get my uploads sorted I would have made it with about 90 seconds to spare, and if the clocks hadn't gone forward last week, I'd still have half an hour to play with!! And it's still the 31st somewhere in the world!!

Title - Time to Reflect

There's a bit of a story to the picture, so I hope it's ok to put it here, otherwise I'll remove it. Been getting back into the forum recently and was looking through the challenges when I decided it was time I had a go for once. Nothing too strange about that, I hear you say, except that it was almost 11.00pm on the last day. So with just over an hour to go I started wandering the house looking for inspiration. I saw the roses and wondered what I could do with them. So in a moment of madness I got out out a black dish from the cupboard, filled it with water and hung a black t-shirt over a cereal box as a backdrop!! The rose is held in place with another dish which I moved along the stem to get the rose at the right height from the water and I propped up a reflector in the chair beside the kitchen table. The flash was was attached via an off-camera cord, pointed at the ceiling with the wee pull up reflector extended so it was pointing towards the rose. Both the camera and flash were hand held as the wife was away to work with my tripod in the boot of the car! So from thinking about it to posting it in about an hour or so, hence the title!

p.s I can post an image of the setup if anyone is interested?
                        Last edited by RobertT; 01-04-2010, 00:18.
                        If cucumbers are meant to be cool, why do you rarely see any wearing sunglasses?
                        Kit - Camera with bits to change on the front, flashy things, and other bits and bobs.

Comment

Challenge No. 2 - RESULTS.

Thanks, all, for some excellent and fun entries. Any judgements below are mine so you know where to send any disagreements, abuse etc. Looking forward to other comments now this one has finished (Rule 7).
                          1 = Interpretation and relevance, 2 = tech exec and exposure, 3 = composition.

So -

Woolley - 9,5,7 = 21. Super cheeky shot - the asymmetry coming from the head angle. Lose the balcony at the top? Presumably exposure was as it had to be.
                          X-Ray Spex - 5,9,7, = 21. Ace composition and execution but perhaps more symmetrical if three figures had been the same?
                          Eeyore - 2,8,7 = 17. Excellent shot, but not symmetrical (except on each doll).
                          Canon Fodder - 2,8,7 = 17. Again excellent shot but of an imperfect pattern rather than symmetry.
                          djguk - 8,6,5 = 19. Nice idea but a little flat and cluttered?
                          BrianSquibb - 7,5,4 = 16. Good concept - shift viewpoint a bit to the right and crop a bit to get the symmetry of the engine case with the imperfection of the different length outside exhausts?
                          Doglet - 10, 6, 9 = 25. Perfect symmetry!! Oh for a little more contrast and a bit more warmth in the colour, but church ceilings don't get a lot of light.
                          Nath Ramanaden - 6,5,5 = 16. View point doesn't capture the symmetry of the whole structure or its components, but love Stonehenge.
                          Robert T - 5, 8, 8 - 21. Lovely shot and composition but would have showed the symmetry of the bloom if it had been a bit more "face-on".

So, congratulations to Doglet in the 1st slot (and the challenge of setting the next topic!!), followed by a tie between Woolley, X-Ray and Robert. (If Doglet is unable to set the next challenge I would suggest Woolley does so because of the interpretation of imperfect symmetry.)

Thanks all - nice set of images.

For what it's worth (not much) my entry would have been a train interior (a 170 London Midland DMU at Rugeley Trent Valley), with a reversed set of seats giving the imperfection to the symmetry -

Thanks again, looking forward to the next challenge.
                          Cheers, Chris.
                          Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Congrats to Doglet...

Note to self; must understand the requirement better next time!!! Take a slapped-wrist!
                            I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                            Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
                              Congrats to Doglet...

Note to self; must understand the requirement better next time!!! Take a slapped-wrist!
                              The same goes for me. I guess my idea of symmetry wasn't very symmetrical after all, although I was actually thinking about the dolls!
                              Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Working...
                              X