A storm in a tea cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forum Challenge No 3 2nd to 16th April

I am removing this from this area and have replied under "Storm in a tea cup"!!
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Re: A storm in a tea cup

Millie's rules are very simple and not at all complicated and it is nice to fall in line and take part and enjoy the competition. Mhy apologies if I had upset you Robert- I was not getting at anyone in particular and only wanted to remind the adjudicator for future competitions.Once discretion comes into play it causes doubt and then it might be better to throw the rules out of the window.

Regarding my speeding, had I the money to employ Mr.Loophole, he would have saved me £60 & 3 points for a fee of approx £1000!!! My pleadings were of course no use and accepted the consequences. However since John raised the issue of the law, I thought I'd mention that the speed limit rules are NOT uniformly applied throughout the country. I know of areas where even if the speed limit is 30mph one is only clocked if you are driving at 38mph- information given to me by a senior police officer. It so happened I was driving in a notoriously well known area for zero tolerance for speed infringements. However, this offence happened in Dec 2006 and it is all now expunged from my license and I drive more carefully now. So the law i.e the rules have made me a better and careful driver!!

Anyway just to add a bit of fun to the matter of speeding, I was wrongly booked in Jan 2005 for speeding at a precise time when I was in church, and to add to the folly the charge sheet said that this happened in Jan 2004!!! All the documentary evidence were all cock eyed. Quite naturally I played merry hell,got the case thrown out and used the national and local press to highlight this stupidy- where the police had got all their equipment caliberated incorrectly. So the police had to get their all their speed camera equipment properly re-set.

I can also point out other areas of fraud,mistakes by BT & British Gas in the 1980's to early 1990's with bogus premium rate calls, charged to innocent customers, and where the gas meter itself was over-reading making customers to pay for gas they had NOT used. My work was also highlighted in Esther Rantzen's thats life on 27th June 1992. I published two books as well.
      Sorry for digressing.

Finally, I must congratulate Richard for setting up this new thread- with a very amusing title of Storms in a Tea cup. Well done.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post

Anyway just to add a bit of fun to the matter of speeding, I was wrongly booked in Jan 2005 for speeding at a precise time when I was in church, and to add to the folly the charge sheet said that this happened in Jan 2004!!! All the documentary evidence were all cock eyed. Quite naturally I played merry hell,got the case thrown out and used the national and local press to highlight this stupidy- where the police had got all their equipment caliberated incorrectly. So the police had to get their all their speed camera equipment properly re-set.
        I was accused of speeding in Portsmouth when I was several hundred miles away in Aberaeron. Apparently my car had been cloned. Fortunately my car had been in for a service a couple of days previously and I hadn’t done enough miles to have been to Portsmouth and back.

Comment

I know I said I was done, but I thought I'd better add that I'm not upset at all, but finding it extremely amusing as to how far this can go

As regards to your 3 penalty points. If it was in Dec 2006 that they were imposed, then they have not be expunged from your licence but will remain on your licence until at least Dec 2010. (by expunged, I assume you mean removed as opposed to erased, as in certain circumstances, they will still appear on a list of previous convictions.) In most cases points will no longer count for totting up after 3 years, but they remain on your licence for 4 years after which time you can aply to have them removed from your licence. Exceptions to this are mostly drink related offences where they stay on your licence for 10 years.

Just to stir up the cuppa a bit more...there are a number of driving offences that carry a mandatory period of disqualification (Drink Driving, Dangerous Driving, etc, however the court has a discretion not to disqualify if it can be shown that the disqualification will cause extreme hardship, particularly in respect of family such as wife (or husband) and kids.

I'm sure when it's your turn to set the challenge you can set as many or as few rules as you like and can enforce them as striclty as you want.
          If cucumbers are meant to be cool, why do you rarely see any wearing sunglasses?
          Kit - Camera with bits to change on the front, flashy things, and other bits and bobs.

Comment

I am glad I am forgiven, Robert, for raising a storm in a tea cup! Life has to go on.

I should have said "erased".But the points are still on my licencse till I send it to the the DVLA. I am aware of the Magistrates discretion in these matters as my better half is a JP as well!!!!

What I am bothered about is that the (i)speed limits are not uniformly enforced esp in those areas patrolled by a cameraman (ii) it is a money making exercise for the authorities- a good example is where I was booked, when I was in church Jan 2005). It was said that it was an accident prone area BUT after the police fiasco with me, that stretch of road has not had a speed trap for the last 5 years!! So how come it was called an accident prone stretch of road before I clobbered both the police and the local council for their stupidy with me??

Comment

Hi Andrew,

Could you please remove all posts from this section including this one, except Brian's image and Doglets theme starter, like you did last time.

Sorry to be a pain, I've no idea where you'd move them too.

Millie

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                Hi Andrew,

Could you please remove all posts from this section including this one, except Brian's image and Doglets theme starter, like you did last time.

Millie
                Suggest "storm in a tea cup"

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                  Hi Andrew,

Millie
                  Hi Millie,

It's done - I moved them to 'storm in a tea cup'.

Andrew
                  Andrew
                  www.eos-magazine.com

Comment

Many thanks Andrew

Millie

Comment

Millie,

Just as a matter of interest, can someone like GFB who submitted a photo and then realised it was a wrong entry, withdraw it and re-submit one that is (a) within the rules and (b) within the time limit?

Nathaniel

Comment

Millie,

Just as a matter of interest, can someone like GFB who submitted a photo and then realised it was a wrong entry, withdraw it and re-submit one that is (a) within the rules and (b) within the time limit?

Nathaniel
                        That seems perfectly reasonable Nathaniel. All credit to GFB for realising and achnowledging the error, but I don't think anyone is looking to impose millions of rules to cover every eventuality. I think the important thing is to "play with a straight bat". Most people know when they are pulling a fast one, but more importantly, we know as well. Personal integrity is far more important than rules.

Ooops, I have rambled on a bit!

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

Perhaps I should re-phrase my question and state quite clearly that some one like GFB who has realised his mistake should be allowed to re-submit a photo as long as it is within the time period. After all this is a "fun" comnpetition and the idea must be to encourage as many members to take part!

Comment

Perhaps I should re-phrase my question and state quite clearly that some one like GFB who has realised his mistake should be allowed to re-submit a photo as long as it is within the time period. After all this is a "fun" comnpetition and the idea must be to encourage as many members to take part!
                            Sounds fair to me.

Colin
                            Colin

Comment

I am sure those without any kids could always go out into the "streets" and find plenty of subjects- even small kids getting bashed about!!!

Comment

I agree with Brian regarding taking pictures of children esp of those children who are not your own. This should test the ingenuity of the photographer- to get round this problem for those who do not have access to children/grand children of their own!!

Comment

Working...
                                X