Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 89 - 'Old and Rusty'

"Old and Rusty"

The challenge starts immediately and finishes at Midnight on Saturday July 5th, 2014. That should give everyone two weekends and lots of weekdays to find their inspiration and to do any PP and post it (can't run any longer as I'm away racing - sorry).

This Challenge is titled “Old and Rusty” in which I would like to see many and varied submissions from as many members as possible.
    The title should be taken as one meaning. Like an old and rusty gate, rusty pipe or guttering, transport from a bygone era, that is showing the signs of being “Old and Rusty”. So long as you capture the rusty look of your subject, age is left to your own interpretation, as we have no way of determining the age.
    Your subject must have a focal point of rust - example, focus can be a nail in a wooden object and show signs of rust and corrosion. Taking this one step further, your subjects rust can be painted, but I would encourage you to capture the raw look of rust.

The standard competition rules apply:

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

I will do my best to give an honest assessment of every entry but please bear in mind I have never 'judged' any kind of competition before.

Now go forth and photograph. . . .

.DAVID.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Re: Challenge 89 - 'Old and Rusty'

Does a 'selfie' count??!!

Comment

Originally posted by DianaS View Post
      Does a 'selfie' count??!!
      I was considering putting one in of the wife :) LOL
      Andy
      Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
      EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
      [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
        I was considering putting one in of the wife :) LOL
        I'm guessing your good lady wont see that comment....
        Garry Macdonald on Flickr
        Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Rusty Leaf

Rusty leaf
          by AlexR!, on Flickr
          EOS 7D, EF 50 (reversed)
          50mm, f/8.0, 1/10sec, ISO 200
          22 Jun 14
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

OK I didnt get away with taking a picture of the wife...so here is one of her chain that keeps her attached to the sink... (just joking).

"Rusty Link"

Andy
            Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
            EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II

Comment

Anchor point:

Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

"Old Gate - detail"
                IMG_7685 abc.jpg
                Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Old pipe, storing other old pipes!

Rusty pipe

Comment

Hey gang, well I thought I may have got a few more 'entrants' than 5 and with such a wide choice from nails to vehicles but I guess you were all busy this time.

I'm not very good at laying things out in a 'competition' kind a way but here are my thoughts on the 5

AlexR: brilliant interpretation of the theme and one that I thought would really kick off the thinking out the box ideas. Good crop of the subject and good clean detail.

Bhuna: one I was waiting for, a bit lower (or higher) angle to give a shallower DoF between the links would have been perfect for me, still very nicely captured with the focus point bang on the joining links.

Hereford_EOS: love the subject but needed to see a little more of the anchor, the 'stripy' layered background is superb and the depth of rust on the anchor beautiful.

lunarbo: Love this, a shame that the main focus wasn't the centre of the image where the two scrolls meet and the paint is really detailed - a really good interpretation of the theme though.

DianaS: Bang on! old and rusty within old and rusty within. . . . . shallower DoF would have made it just that little stronger but you nailed it, well done.

So my top 3 are:

3rd AlexR - outside the box and terrific detail

2nd lunarbo - fitted the brief perfectly, a little more in focus and you would have nailed it.

1st DianaS - just ticked all the boxes for me, Bravo

Thank you for having a go and hope to see a lot more entering the next one. Well done DianaS, it's over to you for the next one.

.DAVID.
                    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Well done DianaS and everyone else who entered.

Thanks David for the subject and feedback.

Would look forward to the next challenge but shortly be disappearing for two weeks so whilst my cameras/lenses are all coming with me, the laptop isnt.

Good luck everyone and see you in a few weeks.
                      Andy
                      Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Thanks David for setting a great subject and your comments and judging. I thought there'd be loads of entries for this one, but you never can tell.
                        Well done Diana, a lovely image and worthy winner.
                        And well done everyone, a nice variety of entries as always.
                        Looking forward to the next one, hopefully we'll get back into double figure entrants...
                        Canon EOS 7D
                        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Congratulations to DianaS, a worthy winner, and to David for the helpful comments and judging.

Do hope we can get lots of entries for the next challenge ...... for those out there thinking about it, at all levels of ability- go for it!
                          Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Thanks for all nice comments and thank you David for setting and judging.

Will now put on my thinking cap to set a new challenge1.

Di

Comment

Working...
                            X