Challenge 91 - A Partial Glimpse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 91 - A Partial Glimpse

The number of entries has been a bit thin for the last couple of Challenges, so please can I encourage you all to get out there and have a go. If you are new and haven't entered before, make this your first time. If you only enter occasionally, make this one of those occasions. And if you always enter, don't stop now.
    The Challenge this time is fairly wide ranging, so hopefully everyone can come up with something, but there is also scope to be inventive. The theme is 'A Partial Glimpse'. By which I mean a small (or indistinct) part of the main subject, which could be anything from an object or creature to a place. It doesn't have to be macro as it depends how big the main subject is, and could be only partial due to movement, lighting, focus or whatever. Be creative.
    It would be nice if you don't need to say what the main subject is, but that the image is sufficiently representative.
    I will provide a comment on every entry and my score will be based on a combination of the overall impact of the image (including composition etc) and how it conveys the main subject. Be assured that my comments will always be constructive. The competition starts right away and finishes at midnight (BST) on Sunday 10 August, so you have 2 full weekends plus what's left of this one.
    So, what have you got to lose by entering? Except the risk that you'll win, but trust me, judging can be fun.
    The standard rules apply:

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Good luck.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Re: Challenge 91 - A Partial Glimpse

A quick bump as a gentle reminder. You've still got today and then next weekend to get your entries in. It would be lovely to get at least 10, so go on, give it a go.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM

Comment

Here is one from Bogota to kick it off:

A glimpse by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: 5Diii, 24-105 at 105mm, ISO 500, 1/200 sec at f7.1

Cheers

Richard
      Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

OK; I'll play...

'Through the slats...'

5DII : 24-105 @ 70mm : Manual : ISO200 : f/16 : 1/4

Cheers...

Lee
        Cheers;
        Lee
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
        5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
        17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

The lookout. 6D 70-300L@70mm F5.6 ISO100 1/800sec
          TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

I can't believe there has only been three entries 'REALLY GUYS' come on get you acts together!!!

I haven't been able to get out for a dedicated 'partial glimpse' shot but to add another to the running I quite like this one from Anglesey titled:

Partial glimpse of the leader.

1Dmk4, 70-22 2.8 mk3, 1.4 mk2 extender. 1/200, f/11, iso 100, 240mm

.DAVID.
            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

partial pastel offering:

partial.jpg
              EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Red Pepper

IMG_7774 a.jpg
                Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Greenhouse tomatoes got out of hand this year and became a tomato jungle - got the first view of a ripening Gardener's Delight yesterday so poked the 7D + 24-105L through the foliage to see a bit of it -

Cheers, Chris.
                  Just chuggin' along.

Comment

IMG_0027.jpg

My hound on his way through the long grass before the rains hit.
                    EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

various flash guns & modifiers

Comment

OK, thanks for all the entries. 8 is a slight improvement on recent weeks, let’s hope we can keep building from here. Double figures next time around?

Rcarca - Glimpse
                      This is a really pleasing shot. I get that she is just glimpsing you as either photographer or potential customer. I like the way the line of shadow falls, as this forms a symmetrical cross with the wooden bar. I also like the way half of the necklaces are lit in sun, the other half not, but you’ve handled the light well. And the whole thing is really nicely balanced with the long necklaces on the left edge. My only quibble is that you’ve just cropped the large ‘statement’ necklace in the centre.

EOS_User - Through the slats
                      Exactly the sort of shot I was thinking of. The glimpse of the field beyond. I really love the texture of the wooden fence and the really deep depth of field means that you can just make out what is beyond. My only suggestion, though is that although I can see it is a field, just how enticing is it? Asking a lot, I know, but the glimpse of a bloom would have made it perfect.

Wayne Els - The lookout
                      A glimpse of an interesting building through clever depth of field. Makes me want to know what the purpose of the building is, including that rusty metal structure. Is this part of the aerial or what?. And well done on finding some foreground interest to use as the focal point. I just sort of wish that big blue thing (burglar alarm?) wasn’t quite so in your face, and I feel that the building is leaning back slightly - there isn’t much horizon showing but it doesn’t seem level to me. That said, the rusty structure is vertical so there’s a compromise to be made somewhere.

David Stallard - Partial glimpse of the leader
                      Clever, because you have made me as the viewer put myself into the perspective of the second placed driver, glimpsing the leader ahead of me over the crest of the hill. And although I grumbled to Wayne above about straightening the horizon, in this case the angle adds to the interest and brings you right into the action as you feel that you are cornering with them. The hazy background ensures that the focus is on the action.

Celtex - Partial pastel
                      Intriguing, definitely intriguing. And the long narrow composition really grabs your attention. It is just what I wanted in terms of you can’t make out the whole. So what is it - a picture, fabric, pottery? Is some of it reflection or is that in the original artwork? I can’t work it out, but I do want to find out. Nice.

Lunarbo - Red pepper
                      Wow, simple, striking, bold. What more can I say? Exactly what I asked for - it makes you examine the detail yet you know exactly what the rest looks like without seeing it. I like that you’ve added a second for background interest, but left the whole thing clean and uncluttered. Nicely balanced composition and exactly the right depth of field to capture the cut stem.

Chris J (Chris) - Gardener’s Delight
                      First glimpse of a tomato nestled in the foliage. Just makes me want to reach in and eat it. Love the deep red colour against the soft green. And really nice detail picking out the hairs along the stems. I like the square crop, but it could probably be strengthened by moving it away from the centre slightly.

Paul Ekert - Hound in the grass
                      Really like this; the dog partially obscured by the grasses. It can’t have been easy to track the focus through all the obstructions, yet his face looks sharp to me. The framing is really pleasing and a nicely balanced image in terms of tones and colours. Trying not to be swayed by him looking like a lovely dog, though.

So, thanks again to you all for entering. All a very good standard (as always) but in a close race my top three are:
                      1. Paul Ekert - Hound in the grass
                      2. EOS User - Through the slats
                      3. Lunarbo - Red pepper

So, over to you Paul.
                      Canon EOS 7D

Comment

Well done everyone for entries. Congrats Paul. Nice shot.

Thanks Alex for setting the challenge. Sorry I didn't enter but I've been out of action having trouble with a knee ligament. Hoping to get out and about again soon.
                        Andy
                        Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                        EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                        [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Congratulations to Paul and all the entries. Well done Alex for setting and judging.

I tried a couple of ideas this time but couldn't quite get it together so decided to leave it to the experts. Maybe next time.

Graham.

Comment

Paul; Well done; will he be out on the Grouse Moors now - or is he too much of a butcher

Alex; Excellent summing up; you could be a judge

Cheers;

Lee
                            Cheers;
                            Lee
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
                            5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
                            17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

A big thank you to Alex for your constructive comments

Congratulations to Paul for a super shot- great photo and a very handsome hound. I look forward to the next challenge!
                              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Working...
                              X