Challenge 92 - The Lens you Love!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 92 - The Lens you Love!

I've been wracking my brains trying to think of a competition theme that a) would be interesting and b) I could judge. Not as easy a task as I had imagined. In the end I thought of:

The Lens I Love!

This should open it up to plenty of people on here.

What I want to see is an image taken that shows off the main thing you most love about the lens you most love. Be that a high aperture, a max zoom, a great macro, or a quirky feature, like the lens baby, or something like that. Anything like that!

Show me that shot that says 'this is why I love this lens and this is why it spends so much time on my camera'.

Even if you have just a kit lens, and you love that lens, show me why.

The competition starts right away and finishes at midnight (BST) on Sunday 31st August, so you have 3 full weekends and some weekdays from today.

The standard rules apply:

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st 2nd and 3rd favorite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Good luck.
    EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

various flash guns & modifiers

Re: Challenge 92 - The Lens you Love!

Any takers? Still plenty of time to show off what your favorite lens can do.
    EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

Comment

OK, well I dont like going first (unless its the food queue), but here goes:

Ouch!

This was taken with my reserve camera (at a reserves game) as it had the 70-300 lens on and my 700D had the 24-105 L on it. Now whilst most would say the 24-105 L lens on the better camera would be their favourite (which I dont disagree), I do still like the 70-300 as it lets me get right in there and close, without getting in the way of the match or scaring anything away.

EOS1100D ¦ EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS USM ¦ ISO 100 ¦ 1/800 ¦ F5.0

Cheers and good luck everyone.
      Last edited by Bhuna; 22-08-2014, 15:41.
      Andy
      Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
      EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
      [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

New & Old

Camera SL1 (100D) w/Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
        1/800 sec @ f/4, ISO 100 @ 68mm

Comment

Restaurant Chica - only possible with the 70-200 f2.8L ii

The restaurant chica by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: 5Diii, above mentioned lens at 70mm, ISO8000, 1/250 sec at f2.8

Richard
          Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Has to be the 100mm Macro for me. This lens lured me into Canon in the early '90s, having got fed up with extension tubes on Olympus or the close working distance of a Vivitar 50mm macro.
            Have since had all three versions of the Canon 100mm macro - enjoy using the latest L IS version.

7D + EF 100mm Macro L IS.
            Cheers, Chris.
            Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Bumping this for all to see as its nearing the final deadline. Any more entries?
              Andy
              Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
              EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II

Comment

For me the 100mm 2.8 Macro. Opens up new worlds every time I look through it.

"Sunflower"

IMG_7962ab.jpg
                Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

I love more than one of my lens but the 200mm f1.8 has to stand out. Its bokeh is special. I normally use this lens for indoor sports but today took it out into the garden to see what I could find.

David

Hollyhock
                  Attached Files

Comment

My thanks to all of those who entered the challenge. There are some really strong entries here and it's difficult for me to choose, particularly the last minute entries from the macro lens brigade.

I'll do a quick run down.

Loved the football image, including the candid out of focus crowd reaction in the right of the frame. Interesting that this lens was used in preference to the L lens on the photographers other body because this lens had a better reach.

The restaurant scene is stunning and makes great use of what is a great lens, creating an image in a challenging exposure setting.

The cars I wasn't too sure about. I like the framing, but I wasn't that keen on the overall composition, and at least for this challenge I didn't feel the lens was being stretched enough to any of its capabilities.

The Chris J macro shot is excellent, although I would have liked to see this in a slightly larger format. I did zoom in on it in the browser though and it looks stunningly sharp.

Sunflower is a brilliant example of the 2.8 100mm macro, although I would have preferred to have seen the point of focus more on the bees, although I can understand that as models they probably didn't want to pose for too long.

Lastly the 1.8 200 mm is a great macro shot. My criticism of this shot would be the center pollen area of the plant (not sure what that's called - stem thingy), is not as sharp as other areas of the image.

In the end I decided to choose:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rcarcarca/14745585749/

The restaurant chica by RCARCARCA, EXIF: 5Diii, above mentioned lens at 70mm, ISO8000, 1/250 sec at f2.8

The thing I really like about this photo is the way it plays to the strengths of the lens, opening it up to 2.8, although still having to rely on (I assume) auto ISO to maintain correct exposure. The subject, framing and blurred background all work well together to create an moment in time that many other lenses would have missed as they hunted for focus.

Congratulations to you Richard. I look forward to you challenge.

Paul
                    EOS 600d & EOS 6D

Comment

Well done Richard and everyone for the entries. Its always difficult going first LOL.

Thanks Paul for the challenge / judging - glad you spotted the crowd reaction in the background - I was going to mention it in my little write up. It all happened so fast that even with my finger firmly on the shutter, the next picture was of the player completely laid out on the floor LOL. You could hear the thud across the pitch. My teams reserves went on to win 6-3 :).
                      Andy
                      Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Thanks for the challenge Paul and for the critiques.
                        Well done Richard - super picture

David

Comment

Well done all and congrats Richard
                          Raj
                          Flickr

Comment

Congratulations Richard

Comment

Thank you Paul, thank you everyone else for your kind comments! Great set of photographs and very chuffed to have been chosen against the competition!!!

I will try and come up with a cunning plan for the next competition, but it will be a couple of days while I cogitate!!!

Best

Richard
                              Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Working...
                              X