Challenge 93

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 93

For most of us, September is a strange month. Children go back to school (or for the first time for a very long time, they don't in my household), people are returning from holiday, work is gearing up, Christmas begins to loom large as the next big event (except for our US members who have Thanksgiving to look forward to). In the northern hemisphere we see signs of Autumn, but the trains are still hot and sticky. So for this month, I am suggesting a Challenge of:

MY SEPTEMBER

The competition starts right away and finishes at midnight (BST) on Sunday 21st September, so you have 3 full weekends and some weekdays from today.

The standard rules apply:

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR (although foreign lenses can be used!!!).
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without further description.
    • Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st 2nd and 3rd favorite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Good luck.
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Re: Challenge 93

Spring.jpg
    "Did somebody say spring was here ?"

Canon 5d3 + Sigma 50-500mm @ 500mm(cropped)
    f8 1/500sec iso200
    Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

Horse chestnut

Horse chestnut
      by AlexR!, on Flickr
      EOS 7D, EF 24-105
      f/16, 105mm, 4sec, ISO 200
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Bump! Any more for any more?

Comment

Lizzie under single flash. Sep 16th 2014
          EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

various flash guns & modifiers

Comment

My September image is very personal. My late father was a WWII veteran, and a leading figure in a couple of Veteran associations. In the 70th anniversary year of the Market Garden operation aimed at liberating Holland one of those associations took a positive decision to wind-up rather than just fade in to obscurity. A couple of days ago I accompanied them to the National 1944 Liberation Museum near Nijmegen to formally lay-up their standards in the place where, during many "pilgrimages", they had been paraded. Father was the standard bearer for the 11th Armoured Division standard with its "charging bull".
            I took this as the Chair of the Market Garden Foundation in Holland was giving a eulogy during the ceremony, with the 7D (+24-105L) in live mode to avoid mirror noise, and without flash. The standards are laying over a "field altar" in the Dome of Remembrance (shaped like a parachute) at the museum.

Might not be a technically marvellous shot, but this is how I will remember this September.
            Cheers, Chris.
            Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Naval Hospital, Isla del Rey, Menorca

IMG_8228ab.jpg

Under Charitable Restoration.
              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Coming to the end of the racing season for me, everything is wet / damp / dark and flat - and that's before I get onto the photo's. Walking across the infield I came across this lone fungi, looks great full size (honest)

The lone sentinel.

1D mk4 with the 70-200 2.8 mkii / 1.4 extender mkiii
                1/500, f/4.5, iso 250, 280mm

.DAVID.
                Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

The lady with the ice cream.

September, looking towards winter but still clinging on to summer.

IMG_8760.jpg
                  600D, 1/800, 5.6, ISO 400, EF-S18-135mm @ 107.0mm

Comment

Missed the cut-off :-(
                    Last edited by ColytonJohn; 23-09-2014, 15:08.

Comment

has the verdict been posted somewhere else? Or are we waiting for the judge to get back from hols?
                      EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

various flash guns & modifiers

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_Ekert View Post
                        has the verdict been posted somewhere else? Or are we waiting for the judge to get back from hols?
                        He's waiting for the members cheques to clear before saying which one is the winner
                        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                          He's waiting for the members cheques to clear before saying which one is the winner
                          Ian, you know me too well...

I will make final decisions as I sit in Heathrow this evening or lay over in Qatar for 6 hours tomorrow!!!

Richard

Comment

Thndr_strck: Lovely portrait just slightly let down by being so hard to see the eyes. That might not be fair seeing as they are black in black feathers! But that is my impression. Focus pretty good, maybe a tad soft.

AlexR!: Well that screams September to me! Beautifully sharp. Nice lighting - as usual!!!Rich colour.

Paul_Ekert: simply gorgeous. Not sure why it says September to you... A beautiful portrait any time of the year!!! Lovely lighting and lovely model!

Chris J: Very moving back story to go with the photograph. I think the DoF is a little shallow - I would have liked the speaker to be in focus as well. And I am sorry that there was not a bit more of the veteran on the left hand side... [EDIT: of course I meant RHS - put it down to overnight travel!]

lunarbo: Lovely lines, lovely light, lovely colour! But perhaps missing the key detail - not sure what it is, but someone or something needs to be in there to lift this in my mind.

David Stallard: Well it is certainly reflective of dull damp and flat! Good shallow DoF for the photograph. A little lacking in pizzaz - in other words an AWFUL lot of grass!!!

Opifex: Why do they have to have these wretched bins everywhere I want to take a photograph as well!!! Not sure what the annoying out of focus detail is on the right hand side... (ice) sCreams Autumn, or possibly even winter! Shame about the environment of the photograph because I think she is a great story for September.

SO: in conclusion and in reverse order:
                            No 3: lunarbo with the Naval hospital on Menorca
                            No 2: Paul_Ekert with Lizzie - might have been no 1 if I could have seen September in the photograph!
                            No 1: AlexR! with Horse Chestnut.

Over to you Alex!

Richard

PS: sorry it has taken so long to do this - I have been preparing for my latest trip to Saudi!!!
                            Last edited by rcarca; 27-09-2014, 13:40.

Comment

Well done Alex. As usual a beautifully executed image.

Thanks for the setting and judging Richard. I wasn't happy about the out of focus detail myself which is the end of a wall that I was standing by. I was so busy concentrating on the subject that I didn't notice it in the shot until I looked at it on the screen, by which time it was too late of course. Maybe next time....

Graham.

Comment

Working...
                              X