Challenge 94 - Silhouette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 94 - Silhouette

OK, recently Jon B posted up a great picture of his wife and son in silhouette. This got me thinking about some similar images I would like to take, so I thought why not see what the Forum comes up with too. And looking back I was surprised that it hasn't been a theme before. So the theme for Challenge 94 is: Silhouette.

The competition starts right away and finishes at midnight (BST) on Sunday 12 October, so you have two full weekends and some weekdays from today.

The standard rules apply:

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR (although non-Canon lenses can be used).
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without further description.
    • Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

As usual I will provide comments on every entry, but please be assured that these will always be constructive. So if you haven't entered before, please make this your first time.
    Most important rule of all: have fun.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Re: Challenge 94 - Silhouette

Just a li'l bump to remind you to get thinking and snapping today and over the next week.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM

Comment

Well someone had to go first I guess. Testing the 300 out today I saw this leaf and thought of you:

Autumn silhouette.

Handheld. 5DmkIII 300mm 2.8mkII 1/1000, f/3.5, iso 100, shutter priority (capturing BiF at the time)

.DAVID.
      Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Lest We Forget

A short of the Royal Marines Memorial on Plymouth Hoe. 70-300L @ 70mm ISO100 1/400s F4
        TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Palace of Westminster

Palace of Westminster by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

Richard
          Last edited by rcarca; 07-10-2014, 09:12.
          Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Home to roost

Andrew

Comment

Typhoon in Stormy Skies.

w by pelliott1954, on Flickr

Regards Paul

Comment

Another bump to remind you that there is just today and tomorrow left to get your entries in. Go on, you know you want to...
                Canon EOS 7D

Comment

He's got the Whole World......

IMG_8653 ab.jpg
                  Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

IMG_2077.jpg

Blue Bottle
                    EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

various flash guns & modifiers

Comment

Thanks everyone for such high quality entries. You've made my judging really tough.

David Stallard: Autumn Silhouette
                      What a lovely opener as an image, and a great spot to see this leaf. I like the fact that there is indistinct shadow in the background, which adds to the effect. A shame the left hand is slightly clipped. My other slight concern is that although the green stem adds to the image overall, it detracts from its 'silhouette-ness'.

Wayne Els - Lest We Forget
                      What a striking and affecting image, particularly with such a dramatic sky. Works really well as a silhouette, and I'll even forgive the sloping horizon as this adds to the overall effect and is clearly a conscious artistic choice.
                      Oh, and don't worry, I think that this is a better entry for this category than 'Loren on Porthmeor Beach'.

rcarca - Palace of Westminster
                      Great image and instantly recognisable. Really clever how you balanced the chimney pots of Portcullis House on the right hand side with what I assume is part of the Golden Jubilee bridge on the left as this adds interest to the usual and more familiar roofline. Love the warmth in the sky and the sun glinting off the gilding. My only slight reservation is that to my eye the left hand edge of the Victoria Tower is fractionally off vertical; minute I know but just enough to bother me. By the way, when checking on the name of the Victoria Tower I discovered that the clock tower was renamed the Elizabeth Tower a couple of years ago. Who knew?

Birdy - Home to Roost
                      One thing I love about these competitions is when someone enters something I would never have thought of. This is one of these images. Really simple and beautifully balanced between the land, the line of birds and the cloud.

pelliot1954 - Typhoon in Stormy Skies
                      Lovely detailed shot, showing great detail. Sits really nicely in the lighting around the clouds. And the slight shimmer from the exhaust is a great touch. My only reservation is is it too central? Feels to me it should be off very slightly to the right, not far, but to give just a little more room to move into would be nice.

lunarbo - He's Got the Whole World...
                      Beautifully composed, great use of the arm from the corner to lead in, and perfectly placed in the frame. Great added detail from the hairs on the arm. The reflection (the sun?) adds another element of interest. I really love this as an image, but having questioned David's silhouette-ness I am torn. The arm and hand are, but the globe shows detail; but only in its own silhouette. So overall, yes a silhouette within a silhouette. Maybe.

Paul Ekert - Blue Bottle
                      Crikey, that's a striking and memorable image! You must have had real fun coming up with that, I hope you didn't have to empty the whole bottle to get it. Great control of your lighting, and really well composed and balanced. Seeing the fingers through the bottle is a really lovely touch.

As for a final three, I have found it really hard this time around to come up with any form of objective scoring, so purely subjectively using gut feel my top 3 are:

1st. lunarbo
                      2nd. Birdy
                      3rd. Wayne Els
                      So, congratulations to lunarbo and over to you.
                      Apologies to everyone else because I genuinely loved them all and you could each have won.
                      Canon EOS 7D

Comment

Cheers Alex and well done to Lunarbo on winning, great shot.
                        TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Well done Lunarbo, its a great image.

Thanks for the comments Alex, pleased to have come up with something different which was liked!!
                          Thanks also for taking the time to organise the competition.
                          Andrew

Comment

Superbly judged sire, very tricky one this time and I think you have done the only right thing and 'gone with your gut' sometimes it's the only way.

Well done for those who bothered to enter (a little too sarcastic maybe lol)

Bring on #95

.DAVID.
                            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Wow, really chuffed, my first ever photo win !

Alex- thanks for a stimulating and enjoyable challenge and great to see your "Chestnuts" featured in latest EOS magazine. I agree with your philosophy of why you enter these challenges- to stretch your thinking and develop your skills. Let's hope the article encourages others to have a go.

As David S says...........bring on nΊ 95

I'll post it later on today.

Barbara / Bo
                              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Working...
                              X