Thanks Tony

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Re: Challenge 118 "Depth of Field"

trying again in case you still can't see it ( I can!)

Mending the nets

[IMG]Mending the Nets by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]
      Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Just to say I sometimes have days when I can't see what seems to be a fairly random set of Flickr images, and when I follow the link to the Photostream (including my own) there are just white squares where the images should be. I've just assumed it's either a temporary Flickr problem or my network as it usually clears up after a while.
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Never submitted anything for the challenges before, but here is my entry...

Wood and Graffiti by Andy Davis, on Flickr
          Andy

Comment

Good morning everyone the Challenge is now closed, thanks to all who entered the challenge. I shall lock myself in a darkened room and review the images, and post my thoughts probably tomorrow.

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
            Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Thanks to everyone who entered the challenge, with my apologies to Barbara and Richard for having to repost their images. Quite what was going on I don’t know.

I have looked at the images during the running time of the challenge and in each case I could identify the match to the subject matter of the challenge, with each of the images showing the photographers take on the subject of the challenge. Well done to you all.

I have tried to concentrate my feedback on the element of each of the images regarding depth of field, with some additional personal thoughts on each overall image.

Entry 1 Alex,
              A wonderful Peony the image of which is very well crafted example showing a very narrow depth of field with the focus point being the centre of the bloom. My personal thought would be to crop of some but not all of the left side to give a more square image.

Entry2 David
              Death in DOF Again a flower image the subject fits the title very well the degree of depth of field in this at f6.3 has allowed practically the complete flower head to be in focus. I think the removal (cropping) of some of the right side of the image to remove the bottom right corner, effectively creating a square image would make this a much stronger image.

Entry3 John
              Budleigh the tortoise looks well amongst all of the grass. The image has great eye contact and it’s sharp where it needs to be. The DOF created by the use of the zoom lens at f9 has created a fine example of depth of field.

Entry 4 Richard
              What a wonderful photogenic pool with the benefit of the reflection of the building on the water surface. The image does show depth of field with the focus being on the water lilies and pads in the foreground, then falling off towards the open water in the middle of the pool and the building becoming a soft focus element within the overall image. The chopped off right most foreground lily is a shame caused I suspect by you wanting the building to be near to the centre of the frame. I keep coming back to the image because of the different heights of the pool sides, as the right side appears to be higher than the left. If the image was to be rotated clockwise I believe that would make for a stronger image.

Entry 5 Barbara
              Mending the nets; once again this image is a good example demonstrating depth of field with the subject and your post title fitting very well together. Nice focus and light on the arms and hands of the person mending the nets with the f4 throwing the background out of focus, thereby giving a strong sense of depth to the overall image. The diagonal lines formed by the subject’s arms and the nets making for a very strong image.

Entry 6 Tony
              Depth of airfield; what an interesting looking aircraft but I’m not sure I would want to go up in it. With this image I see the out of focus grass toward the bottom of the frame leading to the focus plane (no pun intended) becoming obvious midpoint along the nearside wing and falling off beyond the aircraft towards the far side of the airfield, all of which give evidence of DOF; nice prop blur too Tony. I would possibly consider cropping or cloning the sky which is peeking through the tree line centre top of the image.

Entry7 Andy
              I do like the abstract elements in this image with the corrugations where the graffiti is, plus the weather-beaten texture and diagonal lines created by the placement within the frame of the foreground timber. The detail captured of the structure to the aged timber and clarity of it really makes it the focus of the image and of course its impact on the overall image DOF. Having made reference to the diagonal element of both the timber and the corrugated material, I can see a potential crop but it’s only a personal thought (some may say my OCD). My crop suggestion would be to take a little off the top and slightly more off the left side. By doing so the timber fits nicely in the corners.

Having locked myself in a dark and quiet room for most of this evening, I have to say I find the judging/ranking of these images in to a first to third placing very difficult. They all met the criteria of the challenge, each in their individual way. So my personal ranking is as follows:-

Third Place Alex

Second Place John

First Place Barbara

Once again thanks to everyone who contributed to this challenge, it would have been nice to have had more entries but we have what we have.
              I shall now pass the baton to Barbara.
              Last edited by ST-EOS; 29-06-2016, 19:07. Reason: Entry7 omission rectified
              Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Congratulations, I must admit when I saw Barbara's entry I thought no chance, she has got this competition well and truly nailed. A worthy winner.
                Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Well done winners great shots, thanks for the feedback too, Just got my laptop back up and running after a microsoft update sent it crazy,

Comment

Peter, thanks for the judging and your excellent and detailed comments. And thanks also for placing me against some great images. Just a thought, though, what about Cyberman's entry which seems to have been missed? I ask because I feel slightly responsible after encouraging him to enter it on another thread.
                    Well done, Bo, yet another win and I look forward to whatever you set.
                    Canon EOS 7D
                    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                      Peter, thanks for the judging and your excellent and detailed comments. And thanks also for placing me against some great images. Just a thought, though, what about Cyberman's entry which seems to have been missed? I ask because I feel slightly responsible after encouraging him to enter it on another thread.
                      Well done, Bo, yet another win and I look forward to whatever you set.
                      Oops,

I'm so sorry Andy I should have taken more care when I was in my darkened room. I had written my comments against your post. But my wordsmith skills failed miserably. I somehow made a mess of my cutting and pasting between the forum and my word document.

Alex thanks for spotting my omission, I shall stand in the corner with a pointy dunces hat on for the remainder of the evening
                      I've added my comments against Andy's entry at post #21
                      Last edited by ST-EOS; 29-06-2016, 20:55.
                      Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Congratulations to Barbara - a worthy winner - and grateful thanks to Peter for setting and judging an interesting challenge.
                        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Ooh..... Well chuffed to be granted a win amongst some quality entrants.

Peter- many thanks for the challenge and for your considered judgement and comments.

I shall put my thinking cap on for the next challenge and post shortly
                          Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Working...
                          X