X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question re Forum Photo Challenge Rules

One of the rules of the Forum Photo Challenge states:

"Please use a Canon DSLR."

With the increased popularity of the EOS M3 and the announcement of the EOS M5 maybe this rule should read:

"Please use a Canon EOS camera" or such words that will allow the use of the EOS M3 or EOS M5.

Earlier this year I purchased the EOS M3 for use when I am traveling on business as the 5D III plus lens, flash etc is rather heavy when I am required to take the company supplied laptop plus plus etc which anyone traveling on business needs to include in their hand baggage. I take the EOS M3 and 18-55 plus the 55-200 due to their size and weight.
    I am sure there are others here who have done the same or are seriously considering doing the same as me.

By limiting the image to one having been taken on a Canon DSLR the number of people who could enter the challenge may be restricted if not now almost certainly in the near future.

Just a thought.
    David

Re: Question re Forum Photo Challenge Rules

Sounds like a good idea David, as the site is called EOS Magazine Forum so it could be a nice idea, and like you say members who own that camera could then join in if they wish.

Comment

+1

The challenge should be the skill of the photographer and not limited to a subset of the Canon range.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
        The challenge should be the skill of the photographer and not limited to a subset of the Canon range.
        Perhaps just a Canon EOS camera to reflect the title of the forum? So I think that would still be a subset of Canon cameras...
        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
          Perhaps just a Canon EOS camera to reflect the title of the forum? So I think that would still be a subset of Canon cameras...
          Agreed - still a subset, just a more aligned one.

Comment

Yes, I think the title was originally set up when the likes of the M3 didn't exist. I total agree they should be part of it. and Canon EOS camera fits the bill.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I'm going to confess I don't really understand what EOS (Electronic Operating System) means here in relation to cameras.

Aren't they all operated by electronics? So does that include all compact cameras as well- such as the PowerShot - and those nasty little mobile phones too?

I'm confused as to terms such as the Bridge Camera and the M3 and don't get the chance to put them in my hand or talk to an expert so would appreciate some enlightenment!
              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

EOS is (was?) also a model of Volkswagen! I don't think canon are really basing their name on either of those things! Canons EOS brand stands for Electro Optical System.
                Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Canons EOS brand stands for Electro Optical System.
                  Well Ok if that's different from what I wrote - Electronic Operating System.................I'm still confused.com!

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
                    Well Ok if that's different from what I wrote - Electronic Operating System.................I'm still confused.com!
                    Sorry Bo, I wasn't being deliberately obtuse There are lots of different EOS systems, not all related to photography. One of which is the "Electronic Operating System" that you mentioned. Regarding Canon, their system was to do with the way in which they used electronics to achieve reliable auto focusing, first seen commercially I think in the 80s?

It's a geek thing!
                    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Ok Garry so EOS refers to how electronics achieves reliable autofocus. Got it.

So..................don't all modern cameras do this? Compacts/M3/ smart phones?

Any geeks out there can help us?

Comment

How about simply putting Canon Camera, that then allows the wet brigade to have a bash too, or else Canon Digital Camera, and that will cover the lot minus the wet brigade, regardless of EOS or not.
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Question re Forum Photo Challenge Rules

The M-Series cameras are EOS cameras, they are not DSLR as they do not have a mirror that flips out of the way. The compacts use fixed zoom lens where the EOS cameras uses detachable lens.

Tom
                          Last edited by tesarver; 27-09-2016, 16:04.

Comment

DLSR means DSLR

Comment

How about simply putting Canon Camera, that then allows the wet brigade to have a bash too, or else Canon Digital Camera, and that will cover the lot minus the wet brigade, regardless of EOS or not.

the wet brigade
                              ??

Do you mean underwater cameras? Scuba divers usually have a DSLR or a compact (mine is a Powershot S100) in suitable underwater housing. Any reason why these shouldn't enter if the topic is appropriate?

Tom- thanks for some clarification and I take it that compacts have a fixed lens and the DSLR/M3/ other bridge cameras have a replaceable lens. Presume they all work electronically, there is no other way in this day and age.

So my question is---Do members want to throw open the challenge to any old camera provided it's a Canon? After all there's skill in composition and PP.

I hold no vote here, I just happen to be in the Judges Chair at present.

Comment

Working...
                              X