Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Challenge 159 - Two's company - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenge 159 - Two's company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With February 14th just around the corner, a chap's fancy turns to love, romance and couples and all that.

So couples is the theme, but rather than limit this challenge to the human aspect of that, I would also like to open it out to other interpretations, whether animal, vegetable or mineral, of what might constitute a couple or a pair. I'm not necessarily looking for symmetry, but also for images which show two things which clearly relate to each other, belong together or are commonly associated with each other. Please interpret this as broadly as you wish!

For those new or shy on this forum, I would encourage you to enter. Hopefully in doing so you will challenge yourself and have a bit of fun at the same time.

Please bear in mind that I am neither an expert, nor a judge, just an enthusiast.

Judging will be based on :-

* fulfilling the brief
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * Having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

The usual rules apply:-

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • All entries to be shot with a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M & R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest maximum (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for entries is midnight Saturday 29th February

Good luck,
    Last edited by John Liddle; 01-02-2020, 20:17.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

The surfer in his element, just him and the sea. Taken just after storm Ciara with a high sea still running

Into the Maelstrom!
    IMG_4962b by Ian, on Flickr
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=709945&d=1581893721&type=thumb My Niece and her 2 yr old Lily
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

Just a little reminder - only a week to go.

Grateful thanks to those who have entered, but it would be nice to have a few more!
        John Liddle

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Pair taking off by Gary Cantwell, on Flickr
            Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

Comment

Two's company
              by nigel winters, on Flickr

Nigel
              EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

Growing old together

https://flic.kr/p/2iypfZ8]EOS_4320[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/141112123@N05/]Stephen Thompson[/url],

Comment

Golden Wedding Gift

EOS Challenge "Two's Company" by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

That's all folks! Challenge closed and I will now get my judging hat on and be back as soon as possible.
                    John Liddle

Comment

Firstly, my apologies for the short delay in putting this post up – other commitments and all that.

Secondly, my grateful thanks to those who put lens to camera and submitted an entry. I had hoped for a variety of treatments of the theme and I was not disappointed!

Ian – Into the maelstrom
                      Anyone who goes out onto the sea in conditions like that must be mad. A great depiction of a partnership between man and the elements. The splash of colour of the sail really stands out and emphasises the dark and dirty sea.

Mammarazzi - Mother & child
                      A good interpretation of the theme and a lovely depiction of one of the most fundamental relationships – the trusting hand reaching up for support and guidance on the road ahead. A good lead-in from the walls and I like the way the road curves down and away from our sight and out of our knowledge. An allegory for life’s journey perhaps.

CasaRova – Leopards
                      I envy you being able to see and photograph these wonderful animals. I suspect that this might be a fairly hefty crop and the image quality has suffered a little from this (or it may be a result of direct uploading?). Nonetheless, a nice capture of what I assume is a hunting pair, one of which seems to have you in its sights.

Leeperry – Mallards
                      I reckon Spring is well and truly in the air on this pond! A well-judged moment for the capture and a suitably short exposure time to freeze the dramatic water movement.

Eoswinters – Sheep & magpie
                      Well caught! I have seen the odd magpie on the deer in our orchard, but never when I had a camera (rats!). A good example of a symbiotic relationship. The sheep stands out nicely against the darker background.

Powernapper – Tractors
                      I have to declare an interest – we have a couple of vintage tractors (little grey Fergies), but I will put any bias aside. A good composition, but the image looks a little light on my screen. I might have been tempted to reduce the overall exposure and perhaps de-hazed the sky a little to emphasise the subjects.

Daisy M – Golden wedding
                      A good and novel interpretation of the theme and I take my hat off to Mrs M for putting up with you for so long! A nice crisp image. The shadows from the flash might normally be considered intrusive, but in this case, I think they add to the image by giving a heightened sense of depth to the sheep.

The variety of interpretations is great, but it makes assessment even more difficult than normal, since each approach has its own competing merits.

However, after much sucking of teeth and thumbs…..

3rd - Leeperry

2nd - Ian

1st – Mammarazzi – well done and over to you for the next adventure!

John Liddle

Comment

Well done Mammarazzi a worthy winner, also some great shots from Ian & Gary. Thanks to John for setting a head scratching challenge, as for your remark about the mrs, it is the other way round I can assure you.
                        Looking forward to Mammarazzi's challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
                          ........ as for your remark about the mrs, it is the other way round I can assure you.
                          Thin ice Dear Boy....thin ice.....
                          John Liddle

Comment

Congratulations Mammarazzi on the win and well done Gary. Many thanks to John for the competition and the judging.

Look forward to the new challenge Mammarazzi!

Ian
                            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Well done everyone

Comment

Working...
                              X