Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Challenge 164 - Greenscape - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenge 164 - Greenscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Green Nene"
    Green Nene by Bo Bett, on Flickr
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=720722&d=1596805364&type=thumb So Much In A Vase...
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Last edited by hornet3001; 07-08-2020, 13:18. Reason: Sorry,It is duplicated,it is my second upload,and i don't know how to delete the little one.

Comment

Green no more
        by nigel winters, on Flickr
        Nigel
        EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

Various shades of green

by Derek Parsons, on Flickr
          Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

The challenge is now closed.
            I will now go away to consider the entries and will get back with the results in due course.
            Rose
            Last edited by Lavenderhill; 09-08-2020, 09:24.

Comment

What a wonderful response!

My thanks to everyone who participated, I sincerely appreciate the huge number of entries.
              As this was the first time I have run the challenge I must admit to experiencing visions of not receiving any posts at all! I hope that with me you all enjoyed looking at the beautiful world we live in and which we are lucky enough to see, from greenery in a vase, through forest in New Zealand via the Great Masai Mara.

I would like to welcome those members where this was their first time of entering and in particular to the new members where it was their first posting. I hope you had fun completing and are looking forward to the next challenge.

During my review of the images I’ve noticed that some members seem to have added their photographs via a link or upload. This is perfectly acceptable, however I feel a better quality may be achieved if the photo was uploaded from a photo sharing site; of course this may not be for you for any one of a number of reasons and is purely a personal choice.
              Some members (including myself) use Flickr. In Flickr click the "Share photo" button (bottom RHS under the image - a little bendy arrow) and when the small window opens, click the BBCode tab (top RHS). For challenge photos click the bottom bar and select ‘ Medium (800 x 773)’ then copy the code that Flickr generates and paste this in the comment box; do check the image by selecting ‘preview’ before you commit by hitting the ‘post’ button! (Thanks to Farider & John Liddle for use of their wording).

Bearing in mind my limited experience I have provide my thoughts on each photograph and these are below:-

DougZ - It’s winter here in NZ
              A nicely composed photograph, well lit, with the branches in the foreground framing the greenery.
              The stream running though provides light and reflection of the trees whilst leading the eye into the picture.
              Beautifully atmospheric.

Bikeman - First day out post Covid
              It is good to see a new participant and a different approach to taking a photo of scenery, well done.
              I like the concept of the reflected image, and wonder if the impact could have greater by concentrating more on the sunglasses in what is a nice sharp photo.

@imagesBV - Staffordshire
              A lovely image of sunlit Staffordshire countryside with good DoF; the frame of trees invites the viewer into the picture.
              I initially wondered if the frame on the right and the top was to intrusive, but on further reflection I do not think it is.

Farider - A walk in the park
              A lovely clean cut image with great DoF, the path invites the viewer to the 1920’s looking building - which I assume is a shelter.
              The green of the trees is reflected in the green of the roof. I like the overall composition and balance of the photo.

CasaRova - Great Masai Mara
              It is nice to see a different type of walk in the park!
              A lovely image all the elements of which point to the solitary animal (Antelope?) framed in the centre. The body is in sunlight, it is a shame that his head is in shadow.

AlexR! - The Jurors
              This shows a good use of the rule of thirds and the image demonstrates beautifully what can be achieved PP.
              I love the bank of trees, although for me it is a little dark on the right hand side.

Leeperry - My Greenscape
              A well thought out image with the near trees mirroring the hill in the distance. Good focus on the trees however the distance is a trifle hazy. I like the overall image.

John Liddle - You did say green didn’t you?
              It is great to see a different interpretation of my greenscape, and the image made me smile, thank you.
              I like the overall feel of the image, great range of colours and interest in a sharp photo with good DoF.

Daisy M - Greenspace in front of my house.
              I am jealous of the view, my home looks out on houses!
              I like the overall composition and how the clouds mirror the sweep of the hills. The sky is a little over exposed, I assume this was necessary to brighten the foreground.

bobowen - Growing Your Greens
              It is good to see a submission from another member, well done. I am ashamed to admit I don’t recognise the crop in the image.
              Lovely image showing good exposure and balance. The tree and shadow form a part-frame, with the field margin leading into the image.

egdoh - Now a quiet green space
              It is great to receive an entry from a member with their very first post, well done and welcome.
              I like your interpretation of the ‘green’ and ‘scape’ theme, very clever!
              Normally bowling greens are far busier, so this image beautifully conveys the essence of this particular greenscape.
              The photo is nicely composed and lit. It does appear to be a little soft but this may be due to how the picture has been posted rather than a reflection of the actual image itself.

gordo1152 - Norwich cathedral from the banks of the river Yare
              It is wonderful to see an entry from another new member with only their third post. Well done and welcome.
              A good use of light in this image and I like the bank of trees which stretches across the frame. I wonder if the image would be improved by cropping the buildings on the right so giving greater emphasis on the green nature of the lovely photo. It would have been nice to see a little more greensward if it were possible from your position.

Lunarbo - Green Nene
              A beautifully composed sharp image with good exposure and balance.
              The reflection of the bank of trees in the water adds to the overall feel; I particularly like the contrast provided by the canoeists nicely placed in the the left third of the image.

hornet3001 - So Much In A Vase
              It is lovely to see nice entry from another member new to this challenge, well done.
              I like that you have used your imagination to fulfil the brief. Good use of the branches pointing in a fan shape with the mauve flowers providing a good contrast to the green. The image seems to appear a bit soft, but this may be due to how the picture has been posted rather than a reflection of the actual image itself.

EOSwinters - Green no more
              A timely reminder that not all walks or visits are to green and pleasant lands.
              Good use of PP to drive home the message of the image. I like the composition of the photo with the focus on the tree stump in the foreground.

enneo - Various shades of green
              A lovely image with good composition and DoF. I think everything is nicely balanced, including the clouds and I love all of the shades of green.

It has been an interesting but rewarding experience; all of the entries were excellent and it has not been an easy decision to come up with a winner.

I wish I could give you all a place, this is not possible but I have awarded a fourth place for this challenge taking into consideration the number of entries.
              So in reverse order:-

4th place — bobowen - Growing Your Greens
              3rd place — Farider - A walk in the park
              2nd place — enneo - Various shades of green
              1st place — DougZ - It’s winter here in NZ

Congratulations to all, especially DougZ, over to you for the next challenge.

Rose

Comment

Thanks Rose for running this challenge and congratulations to Doug and runners up. A good turnout in terms of the number of entries and quality ....I look forward to the next!
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Congratulations to Doug on his worthy win, and to the other podium places.
                  Great to have so many entries... well done Rose on judging and your thoughtful comments.
                  Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Thanks to Rose for running this, & to all the others who entered.
                    I'm delighted to have my entry come in 1st place :)

I shall be back later today to set the next challenge ...
                    Doug.

Comment

Congratulations to Doug and well done to Derek & Bob. And many thanks to Lavenderhill for running the challenge and all the comments.

I look forward to your new challenge Doug!

Ian
                      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Well done Rose - a stimulating challenge and some well-thought through comments on the entries.

And of course, congratulations to the podium people, especially Doug!
                        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks Rose, a well entered subject, your comments were well thought out & appreciated. Well done Doug, look forward to your subject, do we need to put our shots upside down so you can see them down under? Dave

Comment

Well done Doug for the winning entry in this months competition. We look forward to your next months challenge, Dave says we could on upside down shots, or maybe mint sauce ones.
                            Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

Thanks Rose for awarding a fourth place!
                              Congratulations to Doug & to well done to Derek & Farider not forgetting everyone else who entered.

I think the crop was Kale but I might be wrong.
                              Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Congratulations, Doug; that image set the bar high for the rest of us to follow, and a really well deserved win. And well done also to those selected to join Doug on the podium.
                                Thanks for a great theme, Rose. which gave plenty of scope, and I really appreciate all of your well considered comments; one of the best learning points for me, and hence the value of this forum, is hearing how other people view images and your thoughts were fascinating.
                                Canon EOS 7D
                                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Working...
                                X