Challenge 165 - Change that dial!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 165 - Change that dial!

For this month's challenge, I'm going to move away from what we've seen in the recent past & ask you to delve into the technical side of photography somewhat.

I appreciate not everybody may be familiar with all their camera can do which is the precise reason I'm asking you to rise to this challenge!

I have decided on two technical aspects & you can choose to do one or both. Yes, you may enter two photographs, one per aspect.

1 - In-motion - Change that camera dial to TV & show me some movement!
    2 - Low light/night - Change that camera dial to Manual, add a tripod & a fast lens, & show me your dark side!

And yes, I'll be turning my monitor upside down for this, rather than standing on my head which is what I normally have to do!

Have fun & I look forward to seeing what you create!

------------------------------------------------------------

Judging will be based on :-

* fulfilling the brief
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * Having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

The usual rules apply;- Except you may enter two photographs this month but only one per aspect.

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • All entries to be shot with a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M & R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. • Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest maximum (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

The closing date for entries is midnight on Sunday, 6th September 2020 (NZ time, naturally)

My very first attempt at Astrophotography (phht - hardly :-) ) but in reality, it was my attempt to capture Comet Neowise at 3 a.m. on 28th July. I never did find it.
    My settings were probably all wrong, ISO 1600, Exp time 2.5 sec and at f/4. on my Canon EOS 70D. What I didn't do was zoom in on my LCD to fix the focus.
    I was chuffed though to capture the Big Dipper and especially see and capture Noctilucent clouds. To see them was glorious.
    But it was still a very exciting experience for me which has given me another genre to learn.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by Disee.Wise; 29-08-2020, 10:21.

Comment

Sorry, I have to admit that I was on Manual setting, not Tv, but hopefully this is sufficiently in the spirit of the Challenge. 2.5 sec exposure, with a 10 stop ND filter to show the movement of the players but stillness of the umpire.

Long exposure cricket
      by AlexR!, on Flickr
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

IMG_8586_tweaked and cropped by Jim Rowland, on Flickr

Water of Lee, near Loch Lee, handheld with me braced against a tree. Tv mode @1/15, F11 ISO 100 EF-S 18-55 @ 24mm

Comment

Man in the Paper Mask

Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

Comment

The Dark Side of Me.

The Dark Side of Me. by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

I’m taking advantage of the rule for this month and submitting two photographs, one for in motion and one for low light.
              in motion by Rose, on Flickr

low light by Rose, on Flickr

Rose

Comment

In Motion, EOS 80D with 24-70 f4 lense and ND10 filter, 4 sec, f10, ISO100
                Spinning Ferris Wheel by Ian, on Flickr

Low Light, EOS R with 85 f1.2, 1/125, f2, ISO8000
                RNLI Rib at Night by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
                Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Two entries from me as well this time:....

Movement.

Hand held at 1 second - I was amazed it wasn't a total blur!

Treyarnon waves by John Liddle, on Flickr

Low light.

Another lightning capture.

Lightning-3 by John Liddle, on Flickr
                  John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Hello all & thanks very much to all who submitted a photo(s)
                    The contest is now closed & I'll be back a bit later today with my thoughts!

Doug

Comment

Here are my comments & conclusions!
                      Cheers,
                      Doug

Disee.Wise: This is a great photo! Being in the Southern Hemisphere I don't get to see the Big Dipper but you're well on your way to being a fully-fledged astrophotographer! I just adore your enthusiasm as well!

AlexR!: I love this photo - the movement is sublime & almost makes me feel as though I was watching it live.

Bikeman: For a handheld water movement photo, this is just awesome! Photographing it from the side rather than front-on adds an oil painting quality to it with the swirls & colours coming to life.

leeperry: The lighting is just perfect & I'm glad you added background colour for spice. Of course I have no idea who the statue is of but it is well executed & fits perfectly with the theme.

Daisy M: I just love how you have perfectly divided the light from the dark here - sometimes the simplest of photos can convey the most complex things imaginable .. ourselves!

Lavenderhill: This skates photo is excellent. I love the colours & intimate nature of just using the legs.
                      The boating photo makes me think of a long day fishing & heading in at sunset to enjoy the haul on a BBQ. Pure relaxation.

Farider: The ferris wheel is a perfect subject for motion. Well thought out & well captured.
                      The rescue boat photo leaves me with all sorts of questions - Where are they going? Where have they been? Google tells me that "Since the RNLI was founded in 1824, its lifeboat crews and lifeguards have saved over 142,700 lives."
                      Certainly a worthy subject.

John Liddle: Another excellent hand-held water scene that drips with atmosphere. And I just love the sky as well!
                      I just love lightning photos - to be able to capture all that energy in a photo is just incredible.

---------------------------------------------

I want to thank everyone again for your entries - it was a shame there was such a long site outage this month but I'm grateful for each & every photo!

Low light:
                      Second place: Daisy M with a self-portrait
                      First place: John Liddle with Lightning

Motion:
                      Second place: Lavenderhill with Skates
                      First place: AlexR! with Cricket

Of course now there are two first-place winners so I'm not sure how that should be handled.
                      I think I'll leave that to Alex & John to decide :)

Comment

Thank you DougZ for running the competition this month and your comments - the challenge got me thinking!
                        Congratulations to AlexR! and John Liddle on their first places, well deserved winners and also to Daisy M for the podium place.

Comment

I think it is up to you Doug to make the decision who should be first in between the two winners.
                          Thanks for setting the challenge Doug, well done Alex & John, also my fellow second place Rose.

Comment

Congratulations to AlexR! and John and well done to Daisy M and Lavenderhill for their podium places, and many thanks to Doug for setting the challenge.

I’ll be looking forward to the next challenge whoever sets it!

ian
                            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Well done Alex and John....nice work...
                              and the runners up of course
                              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                              X