Challenge 166 - The Road To...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 166 - The Road To...

Thanks to all for the great entries to the last ‘two for the price of one’ Challenge. The theme for the next challenge is ‘The Road To...’. This could of course be physical, with images of great civil engineering, regional, with images of Mandalay, Zanzibar or Wigan Pier or philosophically looking forward or back. Let your imaginations run wild...

If you haven’t entered before, why not it a go. It provides not only a fun challenge and a reason to get the camera out, but it is a lovely confidence boost when someone completely independent judges your work kindly.

Judging will be based on the following:
    * fulfilling the brief,
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light,
    * Having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

I will do my best to give friendly and constructive comments and find a winner based on my criteria stated above, bearing in mind I have absolutely no qualifications other than I know what I like.

The usual rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Use a Canon EOS camera - DSLR or M series.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max.
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; although the image should convey the theme without title description.
    • No comments on images (on this or another thread) until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images.

Closing date for entries is midnight (GMT) on the evening of Saturday 3 October, so you have 3 weeks to think, snap and process. Have fun.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

IMG_8506_1.JPG
    Out of tracks.

Comment

SWMBO & I went to meet up with an old pal from our ballooning days, who has upped sticks and taken to the canals.

We met at Bradford upon Avon on a sunny (and very busy!) day.

This view is from the locks, looking east along the canal-dwellers "road" to Devizes, then Reading and hence onward to the Thames.

The road to Reading by John Liddle, on Flickr
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

The Rail-Road to Edinburgh.

The Railroad to.... by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

The Road to . . . Speyside!

EOR_4593 by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
          Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

The Road to the Sea

Road to the sea
            by nigel winters, on Flickr
            Nigel
            EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

The Road to.......road works!
              The Road to .......road works by Rose, on Flickr

Comment

Making an Entrance.....

Making an Entrance ... by Bo Bett, on Flickr

Not my Gaff, unfortunately !
                Last edited by lunarbo; 03-10-2020, 16:43.
                Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Road heading down towards the Greater Manchester Conurbation above Chapel Brow on Monks Road near to Charlesworth, Derbyshire.

Monks Road by Derek Parsons, on Flickr
                  Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

Thank you all for your entries. The Challenge is now closed.
                    I will ponder, then pontificate accordingly.
                    Canon EOS 7D
                    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM

Comment

Thanks to all who entered for your time and for sharing your efforts.

Firstly, my thoughts on each, mostly to get my thoughts in order. And if you think I'm being critical it is only because it helps me choose between them.

Casa Rova - Out of Tracks.What a wonderful interpretation of the theme. Someone setting off, along an unseen path, but with apparent purpose and an implement or branch of some kind. The mono treatment really suits and the composition is spot on.

John Liddle - The Road to Reading. Great use of the curve on the left hand side to frame a peaceful image with the boat moving into the inage on the right. My only quibble is the cutting of the person on the left that just bothers me.

Daisy M - The Railroed To Edinburgh. This type of image is my complete cup of tea, simple and structural; I really wish I had taken it. And the train in view is the cherry on top, adding that extra touch of interest. The only thing is that big black bit of shore bottom right. If I scroll up to cover it, the image goes letterbox and seems to stretch out so much nicer.

Farider - The Road to Speyside. Great concept, and I do love a single malt. Love the touch of tartan cloth, is that a Speyside tartan? I do hope so. Only because I'm thinking about it to judge, I'm now pondering about the order of the elements. It's not tall to short, but nor is it full bottle to empty glass. Not quite sure what the story is. But I'd enjoy travelling that route.

EOSWinters - Road to the Sea. Really like how the boat points forms part of the leading line of the ramp taking your eye out to the sea beyond. The figure adds real interest, it would be lacking without them. I only wish that triangle of shadow wasn't on the right as it pulls my eye over there. I'd have cropped in a bit (but left the boat) and edited the remaining shadow.

Lavenderhill - The Road to Roadworks. Wow that tells a different story, the opposite of a leading line, the roadwoks creating a barrier, and stopping you viewing beyond. A striking splash of colour.

Lunarbo - Making an Entrance. And what a grand entrance that is. At first sight I thought, oh, a shame the path isn't central at the bottom, and then I thought and I'm wrong. I actually love that it starts off off-centre and moves you back to the middle. And then when you look to the sides the shadow in the tree trunks is stunning and the fences create a lovely playful surround.

Enneo - Monks Road. Now that is a stunning piece of composition. A country road winding through the terrain, but with the glimpse of the city.beyond. And moving from shade to light to haze seems seamless.

And so, a great selection, and all would be worthy top three, but for today I have gome with:

1: Casa Rova
                      2: Enneo
                      3: Lunarbo

So congratulations Casa Rova,I look forward to your first Challenge.
                      Canon EOS 7D

Comment

Congratulations on your win Douglas and well done to Derek and Bo. Thank you Alex for the Challenge, judging and the helpful comments.

Look forward to seeing your new challenge Douglas!

Ian
                        Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thank you Alex for running the Challenge, judging and kindly comments.
                          Many congratulations to all of the podium winners especially CasaRova on first place - I look forward to the new Challenge.
                          Rose

Comment

Congratulations to Casa Rova and the other podium places. Thanks Alex for the challenge and comments.
                            Nigel
                            Nigel
                            EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

A big thank you to Alex for organising an interesting challenge and for his thoughtful comments

Two cracking shots from Casa Rova and Enneo, I'm happy to creep onto the podium behind them!

Looking forward to the next challenge, Douglas.
                              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Working...
                              X