Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 172- Past its Best

This challenge is titled “Past its Best “

This was prompted by having to do some shots for my u3a photography group: I snapped hubby and he commented how grey and wrinkly he was looking…...

This could be anything in the home – an old toy, the missus (oops!), last week’s flowers, or anything seen on your walks.

Or get jazzy - obscure interpretations are welcome too.

For those new or shy on this forum, I particularly encourage you to enter. Hopefully in doing so you will challenge yourself and have a bit of fun at the same time.

Judging will be based on the following-
    * fulfilling the brief
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * Having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

As ever I'll do my best to give friendly and constructive comments and find a winner based on my criteria stated above, bearing in mind my strictly amateur status

The usual rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M & R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for entries is midnight Sunday 18th April ...... this should be enough time to get your thinking caps on, take your masterpiece and then finalise it in PP

Have a go- I look forward to receiving lots of entries

Bo
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

A bit of a doer upper

Barn 8 by Stackman1, on Flickr

Comment

Aged headstone

St Nicholas aged headstone
      by AlexR!, on Flickr
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Waiting Repair

Waiting Repair EOR_5057 by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
        Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

David Brown Tractor.
          DPast It's best by David Miller, on Flickr

Last edited by Daisy M; 15-04-2021, 14:25.

Comment

Bump, BUMP !!

This challenge ends this Sunday night & I'd love to see some more entries

Bo

Comment

Steam loco GWR 2-8-0 No: 2873

GWR 2-8-0 No 2873 by Colin Wallace, on Flickr
              Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

House plant past its best
                Past its best by Rose, on Flickr

Comment

20210414121148_IMG_5807~5.JPG
                  Locked down.
                  Last edited by CasaRova; 17-04-2021, 11:58.

Comment

Thank you to those who entered the challenge

This is now closed and I will retire to consider my verdict

Comment

A big thank you to all the entrants, I see that no-one plucked up courage to submit a picture of HWWBO !

Ok here we go

Barn 8 – Stackman . An interesting subject, I think this would have benefitted from lightening the shadows of the interior. I wonder if you could have moved round to the right so that the front brambles and the front telegraph pole did not split the photo so much.

St Nicholas aged headstone – Alex R! I like to wander though a cemetery with a camera, but this shot does not quite hit the mark for me. My eye jumps between the headstone with writing, then onto the green mossy one. The green mossy stuff has a see-through effect with the grass around it, once seen (however stupid) I can’t un-see it !!

Waiting Repair EOR5057- Farider This works well in mono and the stuts under the boat and the timbers above deck point down to the splendidly past-it woodwork and paintwork . A bit messy in the lower right corner , I think I might have been tempted to crop in even closer

Past its best – David Miller. A great find and the dull background means we focus on the old tractor. I like the angle you’ve taken this at, the orange chassis leads us into the cabin and wheel axis. Nice and sharp, worth viewing on flickr

GWR 2-8-0 No.2873 Colin W. As a loco man I’m sure this breaks your heart to see such decay ! As a casual viewer though, there is not enough interest for me- a big slab of brown . I would think there was much more to be had by focusing in on just part of the wagon. For instance if you tried portrait mode on just the right hand third of the image you’ve got rusty bumpers and undercarriage , and weeds growing out of the interior, this for me gets the message across better.

House plant past its best – Lavender Hill Orchids withered on the stem but they have a charm of their own here and the curve of the stem and support, together with the solid black background , shows them at their “best”

Locked down – Casa Rova A difficult image to get right with the very definite break between left and right sides and the related but separated objects. I understand that direct posting gives a softer image but there’s just not enough in focus.

OK on to placings. It’s never an easy task but I’m going with

3rd Lavender Hill- House Plant

2nd Farider - Waiting Repair

1st David Miller - Past its Best

Well done to all of you who rose to the challenge admirably and special Congratulations to David.

Comment

Well that was a surprise, especially with some great other entries. Big thanks for Bo for setting it and well done to Rose and Ian for your podium spots.
                        I will get my thinking cap on for the next challenge and come back in a couple of days.
                        Dave

Comment

Congratulations David and well done Rose. And thank you to Bo for the Challenge, judging and comments.

Look forward to your new challenge David!

Ian
                          Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Congratulations DaIsy M on first place and to Farider my fellow podium placee. Thank you lunarbo for the challenge, comments and judging.

I’m looking forward to the new Challenge.

Rose

Comment

Thanks Bo for setting, judging and your usual well considered comments on each. I agree with every single word of critique on mine, it does seem to be a 'holey' (rather than holy) headstone.
                              Congratulations to all on the podium and particularly Daisy.
                              Canon EOS 7D
                              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Working...
                              X