Challenge 174 Bokeh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 174 Bokeh

The challenge for this month is Bokeh......that dreamy smooth out of focus background (or foreground) with a nice sharp subject of course.

Any lens and camera can be used to achieve this .....as you are likely aware a good out of focus background can be achieved using a wide aperture and/or a good distance between the subject in focus and the background/foreground - you don't need a superfast L lens. (you can enhance the blur in post processing.....a brush with clarity and sharpness set low and noise reduction set high can work wonders.....its not cheating).

Any subject you like be it large or small, static or moving...whatever you like.

Judging will be based on the following-
    - fulfilling the brief - a shot with some good background or foreground blur that is pleasing to the eye
    - composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    - Good use of colour and / or contrast.
    - a pleasing image for image sake...it doesn't have to be a particularly interesting subject...just an attractive image.

I'll do my best to give friendly and constructive comments and find a winner based on the criteria stated above

The usual rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M & R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date will be midnight the 30th of June

The more entries the better, if you've not entered before then please do so.....accepting a challenge can enhance our abilities and take us out of our comfort zone....lets do it!
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Sparrow on the birdbath

Sparrow_EOR_5243 by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Cinnamon-chested Bee-eater. IMG_7451_1_1.JPG

Comment

Bokeh by nigel winters, on Flickr
        Nigel
        EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

I Can See You.

I can See You. by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

One in a sea of red
            Attached Files
            Ian

Comment

Dreaming in bokeh

Dreaming in bokeh
              by AlexR!, on Flickr
              Canon EOS 7D
              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Bump….last day to enter….30th June…Wednesday
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Puffin and Sand Eels

Isle of May 6 by Gary Cantwell, on Flickr
                  Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

Comment

Bokeh
                    Bokeh by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
                    John

Comment

Thanks for the entries....I will start my deliberations....this is going to be difficult!
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

RESULTS

Thanks to all who entered the June Forum Photo Challenge

Having considered each entry the results in my humble judgement are as follows:-

First Place - Bokeh by EOSwinters
                        This super image has a graphic and sharp subject with good detail contrasting against a super smooth background. Its minimal colour palette contributes to the overall impact.

Second Place - Puffin and Sand Eels by leeperry
                        What a great subject - an expertly executed classic shot of one of our most attractive characterful birds complete with it's catch. Full of detail and contracting with a pleasing but not quite as smooth background no doubt only compromised by the subject background distance.

Third Place - One in a sea of red by Coryman
                        Fabulous vibrant colour and nice sharp subject and lovely blurry background - again the limited colours adds impact. The composition of the main subject being a little close to the edge and distracting dark area at the top were the only factors keeping this image from the upper steps of the podium.

All entries met the brief....Farider's sparrow on the birdbath has difficult backlighting and a busy background bokeh, CasaRova's Cinnamon Chested bee eater is an attractive subject - maybe the subject is a little under exposed but there is a difficult bright background to contend with. I can see you by DaisyM - a super detailed shot and nice bokeh foreground...the subject is little small in the frame for maximum impact but remains an excellent environmental shot. Dreaming in bokeh - is very creative as we have come to expect from AlexR!...I like a shot that make me think. And last but by no means least ColytonJohn's Bokeh.....cleverly does what it says on the tin (at least I think that's what it says).

So thanks again to everyone who entered.....it wasn't the easiest challenge so I'm pleased we managed a decent number of entries.

Congratulations Nigel....you have the accolade and privilege of setting the next challenge!
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Well done to podium members especially Nigel, thought it was a winner the minute you put it up. Look forward to your challenge.

Comment

Congratulations Nigel and well done to Ian and Gary. And thanks to Brian for the Challenge and the judging.

I look forward to your new challenge Nigel.

Ian
                            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

An interesting challenge that produced a great result with a worthy winner but all placed deserve congratulations too.

Comment

Working...
                              X