Challenge 175 - Colours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 175 - Colours

The theme of this month's challenge is Colours.

Summer here in the Northern Hemisphere is an outbreak of colour so I'm looking for an image with lots of colour, more than one colour, and hopefully one that shouts look at me.

Judging will be based on the use of colour and how well the image sticks in my head when I go away from the computer. Please accept that I will do my best to judge the images but it will be a personal preference.

The usual rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M & R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

While images posted to the forum should be 800 pixels, please link to a larger image if you are able to do so (e.g. you own website, Flickr, etc).

Closing date will be midnight the 31st July.
    Nigel
    EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Women in colour
    20210710 women in colour by brianvickers, on Flickr
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

20210711153419_IMG_7905~2.JPG
      Yellow White Eye.

Comment

SWMBO & I were in sunny Cornwall last week. We paid a brief visit to Padstow before the day and the crowds became too much.

Padstow colours by John Liddle, on Flickr
        Last edited by John Liddle; 30-07-2021, 14:51. Reason: Speeling
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Tenisha in colour MK4B6687.jpg
          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Under UV light tonic water glows nicely due to the quinine content. It was hard work but it had to be tried. You will be pleased to know that not a drop was wasted…

Glowing G&T-1 by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

After The Rain.

EOS challenge by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

House of many colours

House by Stackman1, on Flickr

Chris

Comment

Red Pepper, Green Pepper
                  Red Pepper, Green Pepper by Bo Bett, on Flickr
                  Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Whitby sunset

Whitby sunset
                    by AlexR!, on Flickr
                    Canon EOS 7D
                    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thank you to everyone who entered. I will now start my deliberations and announce the winner.
                      Nigel

Comment

Thank you all for entering, I have struggled to pick a winner as there were so many wonderful photos all of which fulfilled the brief.

I have provided my comments on the various entries below. These are my humble opinions and please accept that I am not a professional photographer and I still have a lot to learn.

Women in colour by brianvickers (@imagesBV) – I did like the take on the two ladies looking in different directions and yet on a near collision course, I like that there is background colour but by the focus on the women you are drawn to them.
                        Yellow White Eye by CasaRova – Such a striking eye to this bird, I think it is a little dark and the bird does not pop out of the picture for me.
                        Padstow colours by John Liddle – This is a great picture and I love the colours within, I do feel that it would have benefitted from being cropped a little.
                        Tenisha in colour by SpringfieldPhoto – This is a lovely picture with well balanced use of flash and gels to give shape and colour to your subject.
                        Glowing G&T-1 by Ian (Farider) – I have not experimented with UV light and will certainly look to see if I can find a suitable subject. The glow from the glass is interesting, with the bubbles and glass in focus.
                        After The Rain (EOS challenge) by David Miller (Daisy M) – This is a lovely photo but I feel that it is not a really sharp image and hence there is a lack focus for my eye.
                        House (of many colours) by Chris (Stackman) – Here the photo has good colours but for me it should have been taken so that the door fits in the gap in the hedge and cropped so that the house sits in the middle of the photo.
                        Red Pepper, Green Pepper by Bo Bett (lunarbo) – I really liked the Colours and the shine you have managed to capture on the peppers.
                        Whitby sunset by AlexR! – This is a great shot and fantastic subject but for me it is a little dark and the colours I think would have benefitted from being enhanced.

OK, after a very long time looking at the photo I can give you the placings, in reverse order:

3rd - Whitby sunset by AlexR!
                        2nd - Red Pepper, Green Pepper by Bo Bett
                        1st - Tenisha in colour by SpringfieldPhoto

Well done everybody who entered, congratulations to those placed, especially SpringfieldPhoto and over to you now for the next challenge.
                        Last edited by EOSwinters; 01-08-2021, 19:11.
                        Nigel

Comment

Congratulations Alan and well done to Bo and Alex. And thanks to Nigel for the Challenge, judging and comments.

Look forward t your challenge Alan.

Ian
                          Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Well done to everyone who entered.
                            Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Thanks to Nigel for setting and judging the challenge. Congrats to the podium occupiers, especially Alan.
                              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
                              X