Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenge 178. Topic. Autumn Growth or Decay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 178. Topic. Autumn Growth or Decay.

A lovely time of the year with things like fungus growing and foliage decaying, let me see some interpretations of them. As you know I am not a lover of too much P.P so try to get the shot you want straight from the camera.

For those new to this forum, and anyone shy of displaying their work, I particularly encourage you to enter. Hopefully in doing so you will challenge yourself and have a bit of fun at the same time.

Judging will be based on the following-
    * fulfilling the brief
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * Having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

I will do my best to give friendly and constructive comments and find a winner based on my criteria stated above, bearing in mind my strictly amateur status.

The usual rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M & R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for entries is midnight Saturday 30th October 2021.

Good luck and enjoy, I know I will. Dave

Just a bump up.

Comment

Autumn growth
      Autumn Growth by Rose, on Flickr

Comment

Decaying Leaf

The Leaf-2 by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
        Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Mushroom in decline

Decaying mushroom
          by AlexR!, on Flickr
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Seven days to go, going to be a decent day for most of the U.K. get out and grab some shots of this great time of the year. Please.

Comment

I'm not good at identifying fungi, and I think this one is too big for a "penny bun", but it's a bolete of some sort.

20211027-359A3924.jpg
              Russell
              Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Flowers and leaves

Autumn growth and decay by Stackman1, on Flickr

Chris

Comment

That is the challenge closed, will put my judging hat on and put the results up later today.

Comment

Firstly I was somewhat disappointed with the lack of entries, I thought that this time of the year would have been perfect for this months topic, so a big thank you to the five that did enter it was appreciated that you made the effort. I would like to think I have been constructive in my critique and it is purely from this very amateur eye. Here goes:-

Rose "Autumn Growth"
                    Great focus on all the mushrooms fighting for space, I would have liked to have seen at least one whole mushroom within the group. I did feel the shadows from the grass added to the image rather than distract.

Ian "Decaying Leaf"
                    Love the colours in this shot and just the sort of image I was hoping to see more of within the challenge. The small upright leaf in the upper righthand side is perfectly in focus , but the rest seems a bit soft to me.

Alex "Decaying Mushroom".
                    What an interesting mushroom loved the shape and the drooping gills, I would have preferred a slightly deeper depth of field to show it all of better.

Russell "Unidentified Mushroom".
                    Looks like a tasty fungi to me, if only I knew if it was edible. A well focused shot of a low to the ground mushroom in it's natural surroundings, though I do not believe in much P.P. I think I would have removed that large stem in front of it before taking the shot.

Chris "Flowers and Leaves"
                    I love Cyclamen's and how they bring colour to the garden at this dull time of the year, so definitely fulfils the brief. To me your focus on all flowers is slightly out , but do appreciate bringing colour into the challenge..

Firstly I was somewhat disappointed with the lack of entries, I thought that this time of the year would have been perfect for this months topic, so a big thank you to the five that did enter it was appreciated that you made the effort. I would like to think I have been constructive in my critique and it is purely from this very amateur eye. Here goes:-

Rose "Autumn Growth"
                    Great focus on all the mushrooms fighting for space, I would have liked to have seen at least one whole mushroom within the group. I did feel the shadows from the grass added to the image rather than distract.

Ian "Decaying Leaf"
                    Love the colours in this shot and just the sort of image I was hoping to see more of within the challenge. The small upright leaf in the upper righthand side is perfectly in focus , but the rest seems a bit soft to me.

Alex "Decaying Mushroom".
                    What an interesting mushroom loved the shape and the drooping gills, I would have preferred a slightly deeper depth of field to show it all off better.

Russell "Unidentified Mushroom".
                    Looks like a tasty fungi to me, if only I knew if it was edible. A well focused shot of a low to the ground mushroom in it's natural surroundings, though I do not believe in much P.P. I think I would have removed that large stem in front of it before taking the shot.

Chris "Flowers and Leaves"
                    I love Cyclamen's and how they bring colour to the garden at this dull time of the year, so definitely fulfils the brief. To me your focus on all flowers is slightly out , but do appreciate bringing colour into the challenge..

So in reverse order :-

3rd Ian

2nd Alex

1st Rose

So over to you Rose and I hope you get a better response than I did.
                    Dave

Comment

Congratulations Rose on your win and well done Alex. And thank you to David for the Challenge, judging and comments.

Looking forward to your challenge Rose!

Ian
                      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Dave, firstly thank you for setting the challenge, judging and your helpful comments, much appreciated.
                        Congratulations to Alex and Ian, my fellow podium places.

I know others have said this in the past, but I absolutely was not expecting first place......although the number of entries was smaller hoped I loved each of them.

All I now have to do is think of the new challenge - I wondered what I was going to do today!
                        Watch this space.

Rose

Comment

Thanks Dave for setting and judging the challenge. Sometimes we just get low numbers of entries, no rhyme nor reason and regardless of the theme, it just happens. Law of averages means it'll pick up again.
                          Congratulations Rose for a worthy winning entry, and also to Ian for joining us on the podium.
                          Now on to the next...
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Working...
                          X