Challenge 179. Stripes / Patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 179. Stripes / Patterns

I love colours and patterns; recently I have seen some wonderful examples so this month’s Challenge is Stripes OR Patterns.

The image can be of any subject you choose and should predominantly show stripes and / or patterns — it can of course be a repeating pattern.
    Your image does not have to be exclusively stripes or a pattern, it can show either or both; the choice is yours.
    Think fabric / furnishings / floors for those of us confined inside and those who are out and about (whether in a sunny or cold climate) think of flora and fauna or patterns in the sky or nature around us all. Think too of using close up shots.

I joined this excellent forum in April last year taking up the challenge to improve my photography; being a ‘newbie’ I wholeheartedly encourage everyone regardless of whether you are new or shy or have never thought of entering to join in.
    The monthly Challenge does just that - it challenges your thinking (and gets those grey cells working!), it is a great way to come up with new ideas for photographs.
    I have learnt much from taking part and the friendly feedback.

Judging will be based on :-

* fulfilling the brief
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * Having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

I’ll do my best to give friendly feedback and constructive comments and to find a winner based on my criteria stated above, bearing in mind my strictly amateur status and limited experience. I have absolutely no qualifications other than I know what I like.

The usual rules apply:-

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • All entries to be shot with a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M & R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest maximum (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

The closing date for the Challenge is midnight Tuesday 30 November 2021 (GMT).

I look forward to seeing your entries.

Good luck and most of all have fun,

Rose.

Water Wall

Water Wall by Stackman1, on Flickr

Chris

Comment

Autumn brings falling leaves and a low sun…

Lines and patterns-1 by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Racing stripes

9ec917001396999a8d827bb55ee8e2e7.jpeg image widget

Comment

We are halfway through the time for this Challenge - good news is that this includes two weekends so plenty of time to get your cameras working……..​​​​​
          I look forward to seeing your entries.

Have fun.

Rose.

Comment

Autumn leaves, processed by flipping a new layer and blending:

Autumn leaves blended in difference mode
            by AlexR!, on Flickr
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

One week to go ………so think stripes / patterns!

have fun,
              Rose

Comment

Rail Trail.

Rail Trail. by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

A detail from the woven cane screen in our bathroom.

Woven cane by John Liddle, on Flickr
                  John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

From inside beautiful Peterborough Cathedral .....

"Light a candle"

Light a candle by Bo Bett, on Flickr
                    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Trees
                      by nigel winters, on Flickr
                      Nigel
                      EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

This Challenge is now closed.
                        I will go away to do the judging and post the results later today.

Rose

Comment

Firstly, a big thank you to all those who have taken the time and trouble to enter this month's Challenge.

Patterns / stripes and colour are all around us; it has been my absolute joy and pleasure looking at the photographs submitted and seeing the unexpected places where you all have found patterns and stripes - places I could not have anticipated or thought of.
                          That is what makes the monthly Challenge so interesting, the individual interpretation as well as learning.

Taking into account my amateur status here are my comments to the best of my (very) limited experience:-

Water Wall by Stackman1
                          Good use of time and shutter speed to ‘freeze’ the water showing the amazing patterns which have been enhanced by the light. I like the patterns and colours you have captured.

Autumn brings falling leaves a low sun by Ian
                          A well spotted opportunity, Farider. A lovely bright image showing one of natures transient patterns - sunshine through, I assume, garden fencing. The autumn leaves provide a colourful highlight and a random pattern.

Racing Stripes by NathCarr91
                          I like the positioning of the scooter next to the wall with the contrasting colours and direction of the stripes. A nice clean image with reflection of the stripes shown in the headlight. It would have been nice to see a little more of the stripes from the front wheel casing.
                          I had Initially wondered if the photo had been cropped to much but on reflection I do not think so.

Autumn leaves by AlexR!
                          Interesting PP manipulation which has produced a very colourful result - the closer I looked I could see different images contained in the photograph. I like the range of colours from dark green to bright red.

Rail Trail by Daisy M
                          Great contrast in colour between the white rail and road. I like the pattern and stripes in the rail which leads you across the image, wondering where it leads to. Nice reflection of colour between the pavement and the trees.

Woven cane by John Liddle
                          I love the repeating horizontal and vertical pattern, good lighting which nicely enhances the patten . I like the tonal colours of the image.

Light a candle by lunarbo
                          A very atmospheric image, which immediately transports the viewer to the scene. I like the arrangement of the candles, evocative for the time and season and the pattens / stripes

Trees by EOS Winters
                          Black and white works well in this image. I like the three lighter trees in the foreground and how they set the pattern of the trees in the background. Good DOF which shows the contrasting direction of the smaller branches.

All of the entries are wonderful and I love each of them, this has made it exceedingly difficult to choose first, second and third places. If it was possible I would have awarded everyone first place!
                          However this is not possible and I have had to make a decision, so in reverse order:

3rd place. Autumn brings falling leaves and a low sun by Farider

2nd place. Trees by EOS Winter

1st place. Water Wall by Stackman1

Congratulations Stackman1, over to you for the next Challenge.

Rose

Comment

Congratulations Chris on your win and well done Nigel. And thank you to Rose for the challenge, judging and comments.

Look forward to your new challenge Chris!

Ian
                            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Well done to all the podium places especially Chris. Thank you Rose for the constructive comments well judged and set.

Comment

Working...
                              X