Challenge 181 - January Weather!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 181 - January Weather!

The challenge this month is to take a take picture that shows, however you wish to do so, the weather that you get in January. Rain, wind, snow, sunshine, frost, cloud; we all get of these in varying degrees and sometime more than one at a time so let us see some aspect of what is visited upon you!

You could show the weather directly, how it has affected the people or wildlife or its effect on the local environment, you are free to choose

For those new or shy on this forum, I would encourage you to enter. Hopefully in doing so you will challenge yourself and have a bit of fun at the same time.

Judging will be based on :-

* fulfilling the brief
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * Having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

The usual rules apply:-

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • All entries to be shot with a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M & R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest maximum (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

The closing date for the Challenge is midnight on 5th February GMT

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Clear frosty nights

Stars by Stackman1, on Flickr

Chris

Comment

Fog over the lake

Fog at Trentham Gardens by brianvickers, on Flickr
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Frost on the windscreen - I see a path through a forest with fallen trees, but that might just be me!

Deep in the forest by John Liddle, on Flickr
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

The North wind doth blow . . . . . . . .
          Attached Files
          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Low cloud over Totnes in Devon

Totnes by Colin Wallace, on Flickr
            Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Clear cold mornings bring a colourful sunrise.

Sunrise by Rose, on Flickr

Rose

Comment

Rainbows End

Rainbows End by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

Just a reminder that the closing date is this Saturday so you have just a few days left!

Ian
                  Ian

Comment

Thank you all, the challenge is now closed. I will now go and deliberate and present the results later…..

Ian
                    Ian

Comment

Thank you to everyone for all your entries to the challenge, they are all excellent and very much appreciated. There has been a good variety of pics showing different aspects of January weather all of which I am very please to see.

Please bear in mind my strictly amateur status with regard to the comments I’ve made on each of the pictures, they are just my own personal thoughts!

1 Clear Frosty Nights, stackman1, Chris
                      A lovely clear star field exactly as you see on a cloudless cold winters night. A minor point is the edge of a roof visible bottom right that perhaps could have been cropped out.

2 Fog over the Lake, @imagesBV, Brian
                      A gloriously atmospheric shot wholly reminiscent of January, B/W suits it perfectly. I like the composition with a low sun peering out of the gloom and the figure standing out against the fog with lovely reflections in the water.

3 Frost on the windscreen, John Liddle, John
                      I can see exactly what you are referring to John, the different patterns that the frost makes are quite amazing, well spotted and taken.

4 The North Wind Doth Blow, Springfield Photo, Alan
                      It is a good job that the pony has a good coat, with the snow on the ground you can practically feel the cold wind. An excellent pic showing a winter blast on the moors.

5 Low Cloud over Totnes in Devon, Colin W, Colin
                      A lovely shot showing weather typical of January. I like the composition with the low cloud scudding across the town

6 Clear Cold Mornings Bring a Colourful Sunrise, Lavenderhill, Rose
                      A great sunrise with super colours in the sky and very well reflected on the shoreline. A lovely composition.

7 Rainbows End, Daisy M, David
                      A great shot of a rainbows end against stormy looking hills, I like the sun illuminating the distant hills providing balance for the picture

An excellent set of pics and choosing a winner and placings is never easy, however, taking into account the criteria, a decision has been reached.

1st Fog over the Lake, @imagesBV, Brian
                      2nd Frost on the windscreen, John Liddle, John
                      3rd Low Cloud over Totnes in Devon, Colin W, Colin

Well done Brian and it’s over to you or the next challenge

Ian
                      Ian

Comment

Well done Brian, a nice photo to win.
                        Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Congratulations Brian on first place and also to the other podium placees, well done. Great images from everyone and a good choice of subject.
                          Thank you Ian, for running the challenge and the judging.

I look forward to the next challenge.
                          Rose.

Comment

Well done everyone

Comment

Firstly, grateful thanks for Ian for setting and judging the challenge.

Very pleased to be on the podium - well done Brian - we look forward to the next one!
                              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
                              X