Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenge 184. Landscape (Landscape, Seascape and Urban landscape)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 184. Landscape (Landscape, Seascape and Urban landscape)

I may have mentioned previously my love of being outside, so the Challenge for this month is Landscape (Landscape, Seascape or the Urban Landscape).
    Seascape and Urban landscape are included alongside Landscape to provide as much opportunity as possible, taking into account not everyone may have access to countryside or may be confined inside their home (think view from your window).

I heartedly encourage everyone regardless of whether you are new or shy or who have never considered entering to join in - I have learnt much from friendly feedback and joining in.
    Get your brain cells working, pick up your camera and think Land / Sea / Urban landscape wherever you look.

Judging will be based on :-

* fulfilling the brief
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * Having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

I’ll do my best to give friendly feedback and constructive comments and to find a winner based on my criteria stated above, bearing in mind my strictly amateur status and limited experience. I have absolutely no qualifications other than I know what I like.

The usual rules apply:-

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • All entries to be shot with a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M & R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest maximum (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

The closing date for the Challenge is midnight 30 April 2022 (BST).

I look forward to seeing your entries.

Good luck, but most of all have fun and enjoy yourself.

Rose.

IMG_1646 (1).jpg Morning Sunrise​​​​​​

Comment

Moody Wales
      Attached Files
      Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

A Walk up the Road.

EOS Challenge. by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

An urban landscape that is necessarily quite near the river. This station was the home of the Blue Peter inflatable lifeboats for many years, for those of us whose memories go back that far…

lifeboat station 17 Apr 22-1 by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
          Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Wallingford on the river Thames

Wallingford night 140422 a by Chris Haigh, on Flickr

Chris

Comment

Bridge across the Swabia Creek

Lock Ridge Furnace by tesarver, on Flickr

Tom

Comment

Is that the Canon 8mm fisheye Tom?
                Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Forest Sprites by Kevin Lewis, on Flickr
                  https://www.flickr.com/people/194601711@N08/

Comment

Beat the last minute rush and submit your entry before this Challenge closes at midnight (BST) 30 April.

Comment

Land scape
                      by nigel winters, on Flickr
                      Nigel
                      EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

Bluebell Wood

Bluebells in Telegraph Hill
                        by AlexR!, on Flickr
                        Canon EOS 7D
                        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

This Challenge is now closed.
                          I will go away and do the judging,
                          Rose.

Comment

Firstly thank you very much for all of the entries; I have thoroughly enjoyed looking at them all and must admit to wondering where each was taken.
                            Hopefully you enjoyed taking the photographs, it is apparent that a wide variety of weather was experienced when you were out and about.

Here are my (strictly amateur) thoughts on each entry:

Morning Sunrise - NathCarr91
                            Unfortunately this was taken outside of the Challenge period so I am unable comment — PM sent previously to NathCarr91

Moody Wales - SpringfieldPhoto (Alan)
                            A green and pleasant land quite simply does not exist without rain, and this image summarises this sentiment beautifully with broody looking hills and a menacing sky.
                            I like the composition of the hills neatly drawing the eye to the water, surely a promise of the weather to come.

A Walk up the Road - Daisy M (David)
                            A walk up roads near me are nowhere near as beautiful as this landscape. An overcast sky reflected in the dark muted colours of the hills which tell the story of previous bad weather on the mountain tops. Not all is lost as blue sky is appearing and sheep graze in the middle ground.

Lifeboat station - Farider (Ian)
                            It is good to see an Urban Landscape and yes, my memory does go back to the days of the Blue Peter D class lifeboats!
                            A nicely composed and lovely crisp image of a busy scene - I like the contrast between the retro street lamp and the high tec building contents. Interesting to see the two lifeboats and the differences between them.

Wallingford on the river Thames - Stackman (Chris)
                            I like the tonal colours and contrast in the image, the eye is immediately drawn by the clouds and the bridge on the extreme right hand side to the contrasting church. Good use of the water to show the reflections. A beautiful peaceful scene, taken at the onset of evening.

Bridge across the Swabia Creek - tesarver (Tom)
                            It is interesting to see a landscape taken with a fisheye lens. I like the way the lens bends the trees so they form a circle with their shadow which neatly reflects the arches of the bridge, and then of course there is the overarching circle of the photo…..circles within circles. Interest and a contrast in shape and form is provided by the two people fishing.

Forest Sprites - Kevin L (Kevin)
                            Great to see an entry from a new member. I love the overall feel and colour - I guess the effect was achieved by a vertical movement when taking the photo. Nicely composed with the lighter colours spreading down and across the image interspersed with the darker trees. Would make a good illustration for a story; once upon a time in a land far away……..

Landscape - EOSwinters (Nigel)
                            A lovely image illustrating that spring is coming with the promise of blue skies and the crop growing in the field. Clever use of the parallel furrows to draw the eye at speed into the distance. I like the contrast between the colours of the earth and the sky as well os the overall feel of the image.

Bluebell Wood - AlexR!
                            An image which immediately transports the viewer into the quiet and peaceful woodland. I like the way the bluebells sweep across and down the photograph with a lovely swath of blue before disappearing into the distance. Good light and shade providing depth and interest.

It has been a real pleasure to set this Challenge and great to see the number of entries, all of which are excellent so that has not made for an easy decision.
                            Having chosen the winner (which was hard enough) I could not separate 2nd and 3rd so for this month there is an equal joint 2nd place.

In reverse order:-

Equal joint 2nd place
                            Wallingford on the river Thames - Stackman (Chris)
                            Forest Sprites - Kevin L (Kevin)

1st place
                            Bluebell Wood - AlexR!

Congratulations AlexR! over to you for the next Challenge.

Rose

Comment

Congratulations Alex and well done to Chris and Kevin. And many thanks to Rose for the challenge and the judging.

Look forward to your new challenge Alex!

Ian
                              Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Working...
                              X