Challenge 185 - Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 185 - Blue

Looking back at past Challenges, often it is themes based on colours that have attracted the most entries; we have had red, yellow, orange, but we have never had one based on blue. So that is the Challenge this month, to create an image where the primary subject or overall impression is blue. It could be the sea, the sky, an object or something abstract, however you choose to interpret it, the important thing is to get out there and have fun with it, and maybe you'll capture an image you wouldn't otherwise have done. I know some of my own favourite images have come from things I didn't know I was looking for until I was doing one of these Challenges,

Judging will be based on:
    * fulfilling the brief.
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

I’ll do my best to give friendly feedback and constructive comments and to select a winner based on the criteria stated above.

The usual rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • All entries to be shot with a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M / R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest maximum (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

The closing date for the Challenge is midnight (BST) on 31 May.

I look forward to seeing what you all come up with.
    Last edited by AlexR!; 12-05-2022, 05:55.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Blue Terror!
    Attached Files
    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Into the wide blue yonder.........

Into the wide blue yonder by John Liddle, on Flickr
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Something blue….

Blue Glasses-1 by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
        Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Train
          train by Rose, on Flickr

Comment

The Blue Seat.

The Blue seat. by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

Heavenly Blue
              by Nigel Winters, on Flickr
              Nigel
              EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

Menorca in May

Menorca in May by Bo Bett, on Flickr

Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Thank you all for your entries. The Challenge is now closed, I shall deliberate and aim to post the results tomorrow.
                  Cheers.
                  Canon EOS 7D
                  EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the entries; all are up to everyone's usual great standards. My thoughts on each, to help me make my selection:

SpringfieldPhoto: Blue Terror! Got the Challenge off to a cracking start. The lighting is first class, both on the subject and the background, and you've caught her expression and gestures at the perfect moment. The touch of red in her hair adds a nice counterpoint to the blue.

John Liddle: Into the Wide Blue Yonder. What a lovely calming scene, with the path leading you perfectly towards the blue of the sky. And its a great sky with so much interest in the layered clouds.

Farider: Something Blue... There is something very intriguing about this image with the dark sparkly surface nicely setting off the glasses with the bubbly liquid. I like how the surface fades to black.

Lavenderhill: Train. I'm liking the slightly low point of view which means the blueness truly dominates. Perhaps a bit tight in the frame for me on the left, but I suspect there's some background distraction there which if you'd left in I'd have said to crop closer...

Daisy M: The Blue Seat. Again, as with Lavenderhill it seems you've gone low, and again it works. It make a relatively humble bench look somehow more grand. Nicely framed so with little distraction you really look at the bird detail. I would have straightened it, but that's my OCD kicking in.

EOSWinters: Heavenly Blue. Very nice, well lit with strong sunlight offset by the shadow adding interest across the petals. I like the out of focus flowers in the background, but wish the front one hadn't been so very nearly clipped, assuming it is the primary subject.

Lunarbo: Menorca in May. Gosh that makes me want to be there. Love the different blues in the water, the sky, the line and sail coverings and the tarp, and the whole image is so well constructed with even the boats positioned to lead you through the frame and into the glory beyond.

My podium this Challenge consists of:

3rd: Farider and Something Blue...
                    2nd: SpringfieldPhoto and Blue Terror!
                    1st: Lunarbo and Menorca in May

Congratulations Bo, look forward to your Challenge.
                    Canon EOS 7D

Comment

Congratulations Bo and well done Alan and thanks to Alex for the challenge, judging and comments

looking forward to your new challenge Bo!

Ian
                      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Congratulations Lunarbo and well done to the podium placees - all great photos.
                        Thank you Alex for setting the Challenge, judging and well observed comments.

I look forward to the next Challenge.

Rose
                        ​​​

Comment

Bo who could not enjoy that beautiful shot and location, well done to you and the other podium spots. Thanks Alex for setting the challenge and your comments. Think of a good one for this month Bo, looking forward to it.
                          Dave

Comment

Congratulations Lunarbo and well done to the podium places. Thank you Alex for setting the Challenge, judging and comments.
                            Nigel
                            EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

Congatulations to Bo and the other podium folks. Grateful thanks to Alex for setting and judging.
                              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
                              X