Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo Challenge No 186 - Summertime

"Summertime"

Looking out of my window at the rain belting down, what else could this challenge be but “Summertime” ?!

I am open to any liberal interpretation on the theme… people, scenes, events, creatures, vegetation, or of course the weather

For those new to this forum, and anyone shy of displaying their work, I particularly encourage you to enter. Hopefully in doing so you will challenge yourself and have a bit of fun at the same time.

Judging will be based on the following-
    * fulfilling the brief
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * Having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

I will do my best to give friendly and constructive comments and find a winner based on my criteria stated above, bearing in mind my strictly amateur status.

The usual rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M & R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for entries is midnight Sunday 3rd July.... this should be enough time to get your thinking caps on, take your masterpiece and then finalise it in PP

I’d love to see lots of entries !

Have fun, have a go

Bo

Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Just a friendly bump.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Summertime in a corner of the garden.

Last edited by ST-EOS; 11-06-2022, 12:18. Reason: Image changed to one in sunshine
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

New life on the Brecon Beacons
        Attached Files
        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Bee on final approach for landing...

Bees by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
          Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Summer Party

Summer Party by Chris Haigh, on Flickr

Comment

One Minute Sunshine, Next Rain.

A Scottish Summer. by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

This challenge closes at midnight, this Sunday July 3rd

Would love to see some more entries ....

Comment

OK folks, challenge closed. I will go away and deliberate ....

Comment

Thank you to those who entered, with a variety of interpretations on the theme

Summertime in a corner of the garden
                    In full bloom- I’d be delighted to sit in your garden! The main focal point seems to be the “windmill” which is artificial. Could the composition be improved by a different POV?

New life on the Brecon Beacons
                    A tranquil pastoral scene with dam and son. I like the lines made by the different greens and the fact that the horses fit into the stripes. Nevertheless I think the picture would have been improved if one or more of the animals were more engaged with me or each other by eye contact

Bees
                    It doesn’t get more summertime than bees in action and this has been captured fabulously by the movement of the bees’ wings and its proximity to the target

Summer Party
                    I like the idea and it certainly reflects this summer. Unfortunately I think the composition with all the action away from the centre, means my eye is jumping around from top to bottom:- there is no flow

A Scottish Summer
                    I’m a sucker for moody clouds and here they are balanced nicely by the lines going up the hill on the right and the mountain on the left. I find power lines annoying but appreciate that David has equally strong views on their removal !

As there are so few entries I will award just a Winner and Runner up and they are –

2nd Place - A Scottish Summer -Daisy M

1st Place - Bees – Cool Cat

Congratulations to David and Jeff and we move on to the next challenge.
                    Bo

Comment

Well done Jeff and thank you Bo for your comments, they as always were very constructive and thanks for understanding my views.
                      let’s hope we can get a few more entries for Jeff’s challenge.

Comment

Many Thanks Bo.
                        I'll put my thinking cap on and come up with the next challenge.
                        Will post it up later today
                        Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Thanks Bo for running this Challenge

With regard to the windmill in your feedback, it's primary use is for me to see how fast it's spinning on a morning. That then allows me to choose the correct strength adhesive for my wig
                          Peter

Feel free to browse my
                          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Working...
                          X