Challenge 192 - Fill the Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 192 - Fill the Frame

The Challenge this month is a compositional one; to create an image where the primary subject completely fills the frame, So not an item that is within a background, but something that goes all the way out to the edges and beyond. It could be recognisable or abstract, the important thing is to get out there and have fun with it, and maybe you'll capture an image you wouldn't otherwise have done. I know some of my own favourite images have come from things I didn't know I was looking for until I was doing one of these Challenges,

Judging will be based on:
    * fulfilling the brief.
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

I’ll do my best to give friendly feedback and constructive comments and to select a winner based on the criteria stated above.

The usual rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • All entries to be shot with a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M / R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest maximum (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

The closing date for the Challenge is midnight (GMT) on 31 Jan

I look forward to seeing what you all come up with.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Shot from the kitchen
    Attached Files
    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Another from the kitchen - this year's 3-fruit marmalade cooling a little before I stir in the malt whisky and pot it up.

Marmalade 2023 by John Liddle, on Flickr
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Raging Surf
        Taken yesterday at the seafront with large waves crashing on to the beach

Raging Surf by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
        Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Old Pub sign

Morland by Chris Haigh, on Flickr

Chris

Comment

Nuts
            Nuts by tesarver, on Flickr

Tom

Comment

IMG_1117 (1).jpg Rapids
              ​​​​​

Comment

Rose

Rose by Rose, on Flickr

Comment

Freeze

Freeze by Nigel Winters, on Flickr
                  Nigel
                  EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

Beauty in a Ivy Leaf.

EOS Challenge. by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

Thank you for nine excellent and very different images; you have given me a difficult decision to make. To help me reach a winner I will record my initial impressions; as others have said before me, please don’t take offence but take my comments in the positive way they are meant.

SpringfieldPhoto - Shot from the Kitchen. When I saw this first entry I was so pleased as it was exactly the sort of image I was hoping for and set a great tone. I love the abstract quality and the great colour behind. If I’m searching for faults in order to differentiate the entries I wish it didn’t have the edge showing bottom left.

John Liddle - Marmalade. Great idea, well executed. There is just enough detail and variation within the marmalade and in the dancing light to keep interest across the frame.

Farider - Raging Surf. Really impressive image that captures the full majesty of nature. I love the separate bands of colours and running horizontally, and how you first aren’t sure what it is but then you spot the pooled surf bottom left and it all becomes clear.

Stackman - Old Pub Sign. I like your creativity in framing to the edge of the frame. And I do like a drop of Old Speckled Hen, which makes me inclined to like the image. If I was being picky again, I would have liked the width of the frame to be identical all the way found and the top doesn’t quite match.

tesarver - Nuts. You have got so much interest from a seemingly very simple image by using the warmth of the lighting varying across the image. Really lovely.

NathCarr91 - Rapids. You have used long exposure to create a truly dynamic image, and the added depth of colour is exceptional. Great artistry.

Lavenderhill - Rose. A simple but beautiful image. To my mind you have the focus and lighting spot on to show this stunning flower in all of its glory.

EOSwinters - Freeze. I do love an abstract black and white image, this really works for me. I particularly like how I have no idea whether there is anything that I should recognise in the image or not, it makes it endlessly interesting.

Daisy M - Beauty in an Ivy Leaf. A few years ago I spent hours trying to get images of some leaves like this and I just couldn’t get what I wanted and was never happy with my results. So I know how hard it is to get the lighting just so spot on that the shadows display the veins, which you have achieved.

I could have selected any of you in my top three but those I am inviting to the podium are:
                      3rd: Daisy M - Beauty in an Ivy Leaf
                      2nd: Farider - Raging Surf
                      1st: NathCarr91 - Rapids

Congratulations NathCarr91, for what I think is your first win; I look forward to your Challenge.
                      Canon EOS 7D
                      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Firstly thank you for setting this very interesting challenge Alex and for the constructive comments on my entry. Well done Ian and congratulations to Nath on your top podium shot and look forward to your challenge. Great to see so many entries with such variety.

Comment

Wow! Thank you so much Alex for choosing my image as the winner, I wasnt expecting it at all when I logged on. It means alot to me.
                          You're right too, this is my first podium and first win, so this has made my night.

Thank you Alex for setting this challenge and for giving great feedback on all images. Everybody's images were amazing and personally I think I would of struggled to pick a winner. So well done everybody, and a special congratulations to Ian & David for there Podium too. Very well deserved.

I will now go away and decide what I will set as the next challenge and just double check that it hasn't been done before. The remainder of the week is pretty busy for me, so if everybody is happy I will have the next Challenge set by Saturday evening if that's OK?

​​​​

Comment

Thank you Alex for setting the challenge, judging and the comments. And well done Nath and David.

I’ll look forward to your new challenge Nath!

Ian
                            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thank you Alex for setting an interesting challenge which got me thinking, judging and comments.
                              Great set of images from everyone and I would have struggled to choose just three podium places.

Congratulations to Nath on a well deserved first place and also to Ian and David for their places.

I look forward to the next Challenge Nath, (everyone appreciates there are tasks which needs to be done and setting a new Challenge does take time. The weekend or beyond would be absolutely fine).

Rise

Comment

Working...
                              X