Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Which AF points options to use for which subjects using the 7D - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which AF points options to use for which subjects using the 7D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which AF points options to use for which subjects using the 7D

I'm slowly getting used to the 7D now,and can change settings quickly.

But,which of the various AF points selections would be suitable for(A) architecture shots,interior and exterior.

(B) My favoured subject of street photography candids,also people shots indoors.

(C) At WWT Slimbridge in January.

And,is there a time where I'd need all 19 to be active?I've read a few articles that say doing that doesn't generally give good results.

At the moment I've got it set on AF point expansion.

Any advice or hints will,as ever,be gratefully received thanks.

Re: Which AF points options to use for which subjects using the 7D

Generally , what I use for Wildlife and people you need to select the single cross hair , you can move this around with the joystick on the back , place this over the bird or persons eye . Can not really help with architecture , but guessing using the middle AF points and one shot , and use the aperture to get the depth of field you need . I normally use the six AF points block for birds in flight and moving subjects , but do find the single cross hair AF point the most accurate if you can keep that on a moving subject . Other people will think and work differently though .

Comment

Always bear in mind that the camera will always focus on the nearest object so choosing a block of points is not always the best idea.

Like Lepus and probably most photographers, for wildlife and people, I use a single focus point, usually the centre one as it is the most accurate and place it over the eye but also use any one of the 65 points on my 7D II to get the composition i require. Architecture is in many ways similar to landscape photography, where you need front to back sharpness so the main consideration is your aperture, somewhere between f8 and f16 is usually sufficient and again I would choose a single focus point and focus a third of the way up the image - this is because the depth of field is generally a third in front and two thirds behind where you focus so you should get the front to back sharpness
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Thanks chaps,I only have 19 AF points on the 7D,but it's 10 more than the 550.

It seem that single point is the way to go,so I'll see how I get on with that thanks.I'll also try focus expansion too,basing the centre one on the eyes of the people.

Comment

I've a 7D2 and my personal choice for bird photography is:
          Shutter release - I have 9 point expansion
          BFB - all AF points

Basically close ups and confusing backgrounds or where the bird isn't too large in the frame - use shutter release
          For birds in flight especially against clear skies but also uncluttered BG, I use the BFB
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
            I've a 7D2 and my personal choice for bird photography is:
            Shutter release - I have 9 point expansion
            BFB - all AF points

Basically close ups and confusing backgrounds or where the bird isn't too large in the frame - use shutter release
            For birds in flight especially against clear skies but also uncluttered BG, I use the BFB
            Thanks,by BFB did you mean back focus?Also the 7d only has 4 point expansion I'm afraid.

I've never used back focus,I know a lot of people say how good it is for certain situations,but I'd prefer not to be trying an unfamiliar technique on my Slimbridge trip in January.I may even go with AI Servo for a few flying shots,but not using back focus.

For that I think 4 point expansion will be the way to go.

Street candids and general shots,which are my favoured subject that give good results,a mixture of single point and also some with expansion will also be the way.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2019, 23:11.

Comment

Working...
            X