Shooting in B&W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting in B&W

If I shoot in B&W do I need to set the camera to B&W or just shoot in colour and change it to B&W in Photoshop?
    Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Re: Shooting in B&W

Personal opinion,I've always shot in colour and RAW,then done the conversion in Lightroom afterwards.I find it gives so much more scope that way.

Comment

You can do either. If you set to B/W in the camera that is how the image is recorded and colour information is not recorded so it will forever B/W. If you do the conversion in post processing you have the ability to change it to colour or B/W as you wish. If you use the canon DDP software you can do all the manipulation and setting changes that get on the camera.
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

If I shoot in B&W do I need to set the camera to B&W or just shoot in colour and change it to B&W in Photoshop?
        setting the camera to shoot B & W will only affect the jpeg produced in camera and the RAW file will still contain all the colour information
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Colin, Stan already said what I was going to post
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

The only cameras I have set to B&W are the IR ones which I normally process through DPP4 as it seems to do a more consistent job than third party converters. This is also because I mostly shoot raw and only DPP4 will automatically display the image as mono - in other software it comes out weirdly coloured and needs additional post processing to convert to mono.

My non-IR cameras are almost always set to raw and colour and I convert to mono in post where it's possible to exercise far more control. You can for instance apply a red filter effect conversion layer to the sky while applying less intense yellow, green or effect free conversion layer to the foreground.

I have set mono in camera as it can be useful to see the result immediately but I have had accidents doing this and ended up with mono JPEGs I didn't want...
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I will go with the majority and advise taking the shot in normal colour RAW. Change it to mono in your RAW converter, or post editing.

I can't see any advantage of using mono at the shooting stage, other than looking at the rear screen and seeing a mono shot, but the disadvantage of forgetting to revert your settings to normal could be annoying, especially if you shoot JPEGS.

Having made a number of mistakes over the years (I call it experience ), I religiously return my camera to my standard settings before it goes back into the camera case. Easy to forget in the heat of the moment, but trying that grab shot of a bird in flight at 10seconds, F16 and ISO100 teaches a valuable lesson.
              Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                Having made a number of mistakes over the years (I call it experience ), I religiously return my camera to my standard settings before it goes back into the camera case. Easy to forget in the heat of the moment, but trying that grab shot of a bird in flight at 10seconds, F16 and ISO100 teaches a valuable lesson.
                Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (several in fact)! The one I remember most was back in the days of film. Forgot to put a fresh roll of film in the camera at the end of the day. Went out the following morning and found a tri-coloured heron eating a shrimp. After taking loads of shots suddenly realised there was no film in the camera!

Brian
                http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Sugden View Post
                  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (several in fact)! The one I remember most was back in the days of film. Forgot to put a fresh roll of film in the camera at the end of the day. Went out the following morning and found a tri-coloured heron eating a shrimp. After taking loads of shots suddenly realised there was no film in the camera!

Brian
                  And I been thinking all these years it was only me that did things like that.
                  Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I went on one of the EOS Experience B+W courses. We were advised to set in camera B+W and Raw if we wanted to get a colour version; but you could only get all the full settings to convert in DPP. By seeing B+W on the screen, it did not take too long to think in B+W, looking for shadows, textures and contrast instead of the usual red jacket. Plus you can set coloured filters in camera to enhance certain things. What to focus on to get pure blacks etc.
                    The B+W Walk with Nina was one of my best birthday presents. If I go out to specifically take B+W then I set it in camera.
                    Janet

Canon 90D, 77D, Plus a load of lenses, especially macro.
                    http://www.leighcameraclub.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
                      And I been thinking all these years it was only me that did things like that.
                      Sadly no... I too have had problems with the everlasting roll of film...
                      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thank you all for your comments!

I will shoot in colour and then convert to b&W.
                        Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Working...
                        X