Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Things to look out for at Slimbridge - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things to look out for at Slimbridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to look out for at Slimbridge

One for you chaps who have been to Slimbridge;

My trip is on Wednesday next week,and I'll have five hours there,so,instead of me risking wandering around aimlessly,could you please give me some pointers regarding where I should look?

I know there's a new observation tower that looks out across the Severn Estuary,so that's on my list,and I've got some of the feeding times,including otters.My aim is to come away with shots of virtually everything available,including the flamingos!

TonyT is lending me his 100-400 mk2 and 1.4x tc(trying it out on Saturday)also his 24-105L which I've used before so I know it's a brilliant lens.I'll be taking my 18-55 as well.

If I get problems with the 1.4x on Saturday..aperture and AF points etc,then I won't take it with me,given that the light may not be too good at Slimbridge.

Over to you..

You could not pick a better time to visit Slimbridge with the masses and variety of birds that are overwintering, we are hoping to get the chance to visit again this weekend.

The star birds, at least for me are the pintails, shovelers, bewick swans, common cranes and the water rails and the best places for these are from the hides overlooking the Tack Piece, the Rushy Pen Hide, overlooking the would you believe, the Rushy Pen and the Martin smith and Robbie Garnett hides, Opposite the Robbie Garnett is the Willow hide for the garden birds and the water rails.

Whilst at the end of that path is the new observation tower which is worth a look, it is more for viewing rather than photography and most of the time you need a scope to see anything half a mile away on the Severn

The small lake in front of the visitor centre is also good for swans and various geese as well.

The otters are towards the other end of the reserve and if you have not seen an otter before t is worth a look but photography can be quite difficult as you are shooting through glass

There is so much more to see at Slimbridge and worth looking at the daily sightings on the website to see updates but in 5 hours its going to be difficult to do justice to everything

Good luck
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

I am also considering visiting Slimbridge on Wednesday (depending on weather).
      Take a look at the map & guide.

Some good info from Stan.

If you see an old guy, wearing glasses, with a 5D4 and 100-400mm lens hobbling around with a walking stick (and the wife) then say hello.

Hope you have a great day.
      Stephen
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Excellent tips thanks Stan,I've seen otters before,many years ago at the Buckfastleigh sanctuary,but always worth seeing them whenever possible.

Re the new tower;I'll go up it-if only to conquer my mild fear of heights! And it's got to be a good vantage point for scenic shots of the estuary and the grounds in general,if nothing else.

I know that five hours isn't ideal,but I'm pretty adept at making the most of wherever I am and in the time available,so I'll do what I can.Thanks for your good wishes,much appreciated.

Stephen,thanks I'm sure it'll be a great day.

I'll try to look out for you,but if you see me first..6ft 5 with grey hair and a 'tache,glasses and wearing a woodland camo jacket,lugging a 7D with battery grip and either a 100-400 or a 24-105 around..please say hi

Our coach is getting there for around 11.45 and leaving at 4.45.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2020, 19:48.

Comment

wow guy I am jealous. you all meeting and having fun. Well enjoy yourselves and please share photos. happy shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
            Stephen,thanks I'm sure it'll be a great day.

I'll try to look out for you,but if you see me first..6ft 5 with grey hair and a 'tache,glasses and wearing a woodland camo jacket,lugging a 7D with battery grip and either a 100-400 or a 24-105 around..please say hi

Our coach is getting there for around 11.45 and leaving at 4.45.
            Noted
            Hope you have a great day.
            Last edited by Hereford_EOS; 11-01-2020, 13:15.

flickr

Comment

You too if you go.

Comment

I only live about 15 miles from Slimbridge but haven't been there in years. I'll have to get my backside in gear and get down there. I'm guessing it will be fairly quiet, people wise, so a good opportunity to get photos without being disturbed too much.

Comment

Thanks Keith,let's hope you're right.

Comment

The weather forecast is not too good for Wednesday so I will not be going this week, sorry.
                    Hopefully I will visit next week if the weather picks up.
                    Slimbridge is only about 40 miles from my home in Hereford so not too far to travel.

Stephen

flickr

Comment

That's ok,the Met Office forecast looks alright but I'm committed to the trip anyway because it's a booked coach one.

Hope the weather's better for you next week.

Comment

Forecast for Wednesday is now looking OK but we all know what the weather can do! 48 hours ago the forecast was for today (Tuesday) to be the good day.

Comment

Originally posted by Keitht53 View Post
                          Forecast for Wednesday is now looking OK but we all know what the weather can do! 48 hours ago the forecast was for today (Tuesday) to be the good day.
                          I'm never one to let a bit of bad weather faze me.

Comment

Forecast now looks better.
                            Hope you have a good time.

flickr

Comment

Thanks I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X