Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

camera cleaning

Hi folks

can anyone give suitable advice on cleaning the outside of cameras and lenses
    what should I use, especially for the rubber grips on the body.
    can small white stains from the rubber be cleaned off.

any help appreciated

Alan
    Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

It depends on what type of dirt you are trying to clean off. My own camera's all too often get splashed with mud and water. I just let it dry then brush it with an old toothbrush and wipe over the body with mild soapy water. You need to be careful with the water, they may say your camera is WP but they are not. Obviously cleaning the lens needs care, there is stuff on the market for doing lens.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Canon recommend a microfibre cloth (plus isopropyl alcohol for lens glass) as seen in this slightly patronising and somewhat tedious video.

Watch Holly from the Canon Call Center as she shares common recommendations to help you take good care of your Canon cameras and lenses. For more information...

I guess a clean microfibre cloth dampened with distilled water would get most muck off and I would think a touch of IPA would not harm the body. One video I found suggested dashboard cleaner/shiner for the body, but I would imagine that contains silicones and is probably best avoided.

A bit of Googling shows that there are various proprietary preparations (including some which claim to restore rubber grip colour), but goodness knows what they contain!
      Last edited by John Liddle; 12-03-2020, 12:27.
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

The white spots on the rubber grip is most likely caused by perspiration from your hands. Don't know what you could use to clean it off maybe try shoe cream but that may tend to make the grip slippy or you could replace the rubber grip
        Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Working...
        X