Rule adjustment to challenge and Theme forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rule adjustment to challenge and Theme forums

With the ongoing pandemic and the consequential significant limitations on travel and visiting places, there is a lot less opportunity for members to get out and about to take pics for the challenge and theme forums, the reduced photographic activity since the pandemic started has already been commented on here in another thread.

It may help members by either suspending or increasing the latitude of the rule that all pics must be taken in the month of the challenge or theme until the time when, hopefully, things get back to something resembling normality.

What doe anyone else think about this? The EOS mag comp has a limit to pics over the past year. Would this be OK? Leave the rule exactly as it is?

I am concerned that without some change there is a possibility that the entries will reduce to a point where it may not be worth running them.

Thoughts and comments anyone?

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Good suggestion.

I'd go with 'within the last year'.
    Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Originally posted by bobowen View Post
      Good suggestion.

I'd go with 'within the last year'.
      I'll second that.
      http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

Great idea, within the last 12 months gets my vote too.
        hopefully the change if it is permitted will encourage more participants.

I struggled with the last challenge to come up with a photo due to the current restrictions.

Comment

Interesting suggestion, Ian. I’m not against it necessarily but I’d like to put a counter argument in that the original intent for the Challenge (and I guess there is an implied intent for the Theme too) was to encourage forum members to get out and look for something new. You are right, many of us have said we haven’t been out photographing much for the last 7 months, but doesn’t that actually make a case for the value of the Challenge and Theme to encourage us to get our cameras out of hibernation?
          Speaking for myself, it was only recent Challenges that gave me the push to take my camera with me and get my ‘isolation’ and ‘movement’ images. I know I’m a grown man who shouldn’t need a little competition to give me a push but if I’m honest it does.
          To my mind the best way to encourage people is to select themes that anyone can participate in, from their own home or local area.
          Bottom line, however, is that the setter can set any rules they so choose, it is entirely up to them Over the years some have varied the rules on photoshop borders, for example, and recently we had a double-entry comp. Some have allowed non-EOS but Canon. But good to have the discussion so people know they have the flexibility when setting.
          Hope that helps the debate.
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks for the comment Alex, a different point of view and certainly a valid option that could also be used. However, I would argue that because the forum members live in quite diverse locations and environments, setting challenges or themes that are as inclusive as possible so the majority can participate just within their local area is going to be very restrictive and is likely to be unsustainable for other than a very short period. Also, it is quite likely that what defines the local area for each member will vary considerably depending on where they live and what, if any, movement and travel restrictions are in place.

There have been no adverse comments to my suggestion so perhaps if no one objects and Robert is agreeable, setting the time period for Challenge and Theme pics to be “within a year of the closing date” instead of “within the running period” could be a valid option if the person setting it wishes to do so.

There is also Alex’s suggestion that any theme or challenge is set such that it can be achieved within the member local area.

Hopefully use of the either or both of the above suggestions will help members participate

Ian
            Ian

Comment

Well I have to say that I would feel the spirit of the Challenge would be much altered for the worse if we accepted a year’s backdating. Most of us can dig out a favored shot from some months back to participate. Like Alex I have tried to get my thinking cap on as to locations and method before venturing out with camera....that’s what makes it a Challenge. And if I have been setting it I have always tried to have a subject that could be interpreted and judged liberally.

I doubt that having one setter suggesting a year’s backdate and the next going for current time slot will work....I can see confusion!

The monthly theme seems to come and go according to various members’ enthusiasm..it’s always nice to see it but it doesn’t need to be so immediate in my view.

This forum and how we use it is essentially down to us (provided we behave properly) and I doubt Robert would want to add his opinion.

I may be one dissenting voice but the forum is of course run by the majority.
              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

I am of the opinon that a limited time slot adds to the value of the challenge. Selecting an image from the last 12 months is a much weaker proposition.
                John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I was also of the same opinion of extended time line for photos. it is rather difficult for some to get out and snap away since Covid19. and thought images from 01.01.2020 to date.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
                    Well I have to say that I would feel the spirit of the Challenge would be much altered for the worse if we accepted a year’s backdating. Most of us can dig out a favored shot from some months back to participate. Like Alex I have tried to get my thinking cap on as to locations and method before venturing out with camera....that’s what makes it a Challenge. And if I have been setting it I have always tried to have a subject that could be interpreted and judged liberally.

I doubt that having one setter suggesting a year’s backdate and the next going for current time slot will work....I can see confusion!

The monthly theme seems to come and go according to various members’ enthusiasm..it’s always nice to see it but it doesn’t need to be so immediate in my view.

This forum and how we use it is essentially down to us (provided we behave properly) and I doubt Robert would want to add his opinion.

I may be one dissenting voice but the forum is of course run by the majority.
                    It seems that my post on how the Covid situation had decreased the quantity of images I personally made this year when compared to previous years may have instigated this suggestion.
                    Having read all of the previous comments above, I have to agree with Barbara on this. A monthly challenge should in my opinion be a monthly one.
                    Peter

Feel free to browse my
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

The following additional thoughts only apply to the Challenges, not the Themes.

A point worth considering by the setter when changing the rules in this way is the premise that entries are dropping. This has been a perrenial discussion since the Challenge started and in my very sad way, for the last few years I have kept a running spreadsheet of numbers of of entries (and the winner) for every Challenge, and entries have actually remained remarkably stable over the years.
                      For Challenges 1 to 50 the average number of entries was 9.8
                      For Challenges 51 to 100 it was 9.4
                      For Challenges 101 to 150 it was 9.2
                      And for Challenges 151 to 166 (and I'm counting 165 as two seperate comps) it was 8.8
                      So overall a slow trend of dropping, but not massively.

But during the period that most countries were in some sort of lockdown, the numbers of entries have been:
                      Challenge 160 (Reflections): 11
                      Challenge 161 (Green): 12
                      Challenge 162 (Isolation): 11
                      Challenge 163 (Recovery): 7
                      Challenge 164 (Greenscape): 16
                      Challenge 165a (Change that dial - In motion): 5
                      Challenge 165b (Change that dial - Low light): 6
                      Challenge 166 (The Road to): 8
                      So the average in this period has actually gone up to 9.5.

I'm not saying we shouldn't keep thinking of ways to encourage participation, we absolutely should, but lets be clear about why we are doing so.

Challenges to 166.jpg
                      Canon EOS 7D
                      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I understand the points of view above.....but for me the essence of the challenge is to get out and look for something new as Alex says above....
                        To encourage more entries I think the brief has to be kept wide.....simple things like colours or some other generic challenge receive more entries than a more sophisticated brief
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks for the detailed analysis Alex, a man after my own heart (it comes from always working with spreadsheets in engineering). It would seem from this that there is no reason to make any changes to the rules, the premise for the suggestion was a concern for a reduction in entries but this is clearly not the case. That and the concern raised about changing the nature of the challenge. However, I think that it was good to have a discussion anyway, many thanks to everyone for all the Input to this.

Ian
                          Ian

Comment

From my point of view I find the monthly challenge just what it says, a challenge. So feel that of all the different sections, this should remain the same. Of course I realise numbers are falling & that that all depends on the subject for the month, maybe for 6 months stick to easy themes like colours, subjects that can be done from within a house or garden etc.

Comment

I like the suggestion to "go with the last year" but I also agree with those who say Monthly must mean Monthly.
                              Not very helpful I know.
                              How about a compromise where a new Challenge Topic\Thread is added in addition to the existing two, whereby the topic changes monthly but entries can be from the past year.
                              At least that way there would be no compromises on existing standards & rules.

Comment

Working...
                              X