Variable ND Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variable ND Filters

About one year ago I purchased an Aurora variable neutral density filter that set me back by about €200. I was deeply disappointed to find out that at medium to higher density settings there were severe X-shaped dark artifacts that spoiled the image. The artifacts are not visible during the shooting but show up on the image. The filter is almost useless for the intended use (eradicating pedestrians and traffic with long exposure times). I wonder whether this is an inherent problem with all variable netural density filters or whether recent designs have resolved it.
    Thank you,
    Vasilis
    EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

I was not happy with one I tried several years ago....it had significant colour cast and the ND strength varied across the image....I bought a fixed 10stop from SRB with no such problems.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I bought a Hoya several years ago and was also disappointed. I now have 2 Cokin Nuances, 5 and 10 stop. I'm very pleased with them.
      Using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for your feedback friends
        Vasilis
        EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Comment

I used one for about a year with no image problems or colour cast, but it was a bit of a faff to use. Far too tight on the rotating action.

On a visit to my dealer, he had a special discount on Lee filters, so I bought a little stopper and big stopper. Much easier and the Lee exposure app makes life simple.
          Colin

Comment

I bought a variable ND filter, had exactly this problem and complained to the supplier who explained it was inherent in the design. I've never used it since.

Cheers,
            John

Comment

I haven't used the variable density filter since I dot the "dark X" artifact. However, I found that at smaller density settings it works OK, and decided to keep it and try it again in actual situations.
              I have not found it difficult to rotate the outer ring; it's just the "dark X" that bothers me.

Comment

Working...
              X