Rather sad - but a warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rather sad - but a warning

I was told this morning of someone I know who went out yesterday armed with his 5D Mk IV, battery grip and 100-400 EF lens. He had it attached by a Black Rapid type harness to the battery grip. Somehow the battery grip came lose from the camera/lens (the thumb wheel had worked lose) and both fell to the ground, with just the battery grip hanging on the harness. The front element of the lens was smashed plus it broke away from the camera.
    Might be worth just checking that thumb wheel, if you use a battery grip.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Sad story :-(

I use a Black Rapid and am wary of the fitting that screws into the tripod socket as I feel it could come undone or even wear and break so I loop the wrist strap attached to the camera to the Black Rapid shackle meaning that if the fitting did break it would be not fall too far. I also have a grip on my 5D3 but don't use it although if the camera were attached by wrist strap then it would still be saved in the event of the grip coming undone.

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
      Sad story :-(

I use a Black Rapid and am wary of the fitting that screws into the tripod socket as I feel it could come undone or even wear and break so I loop the wrist strap attached to the camera to the Black Rapid shackle meaning that if the fitting did break it would be not fall too far. I also have a grip on my 5D3 but don't use it although if the camera were attached by wrist strap then it would still be saved in the event of the grip coming undone.

Cheers,
      John
      Same here John I use the Black Rapid but took a dislike to the round screw the minute I saw it. I use a Manfrotto plate on both camera and lens the two linked by a short piece of HT steel wire with a small karabeana on the end. I filed a notch in the side of the Manfrotto plate to allow for the wire whenever I got the camera or lens tripod mounted, the wire is then attached to a large key ring on the Black Rapid.
      Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Use Blackrapid and have Blackrapid plate on my lens. No concerns about security. Have a retraining strap that runs from one of body strap lugs and attaches to the Blackrapid.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I know they are quite popular, but I have never taken to them.

I use the wide neoprene Optech strap, in combination with the Canon Hand strap E.
          Colin

Comment

I think this more about connection between camera and battery grip rather than harness / strap. Although wise to have second line of defence regarding camera and lens attached to the harness or strap.
            Yesterday, had a two mile plus walk around the fields, woodland etc. R5, Battery Grip, Sigma 180mm Macro. all hanging off a Black Rapid via the battery grip. When I got back home I was able to give the thumb screw on the battery grip a good three quarters of a turn.
            Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Have the Blackrapid plate (rediculously expensive) attached to the foot on my Sigma 150-600 and walked many miles. Never come loose at all.

The standard faster does seem to come loose though.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I always have the supplied Canon strap around my neck so it can't be dropped. I learned from an accident many years ago where I dropped my camera in the Thames. My house insurance covered my loss without any questions. So I learned my lesson from that. Keep Safe, Fred.

Comment

I use a paracord wrist strap, from the body of the camera to my wrist were it works like a slipknot.
                  It means I always have the weight of the camera in my hand but for me it's a preference as I don't like having things around my neck.

Comment

Personally I wouldn't trust any strap attached to the tripod socket on it's own.I have the two short straps of my Optech harness attached to the lugs on my 7D around my wrist and my fingers firmly holding the body,and when taking a break, it's on the Optech neoprene strap hanging on my neck.

When I eventually get to use a two camera set-up,they'll be attached to the Optech dual harness.

Comment

I use a Joby strap which has an additional cord that runs from the strap near the mounting to one of the camera strap lugs. My original version didn’t have one so an Fuji X-T2 and 100-400mm ended up in the dust at Ham Wall RSPB one day. Learned a lesson that day.
                      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I think you all got the wrong end of the stick. My original post was nothing to do with a strap, Blackrapid or whatever make breaking away from the camera/lens. What I posted about was the thumb screw that holds his battery grip to the camera came loose - undone! The battery grip was still well secured to the strap. Hence I mentioned that I always have a HT wire loop between camera, battery grip and lens then onto the harness. I have now made him one of these HT wire set ups. The only way everything can fall to the ground now is if all four anchor points break simultaneously at the same time. Someone like to work out the chances of that happening.
                        Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Yes,and then members went on to recount how they secure their equipment or how they had straps fail...

Comment

I use Optech strap as I don't trust screw threads
                            Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X