Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garden Office/Studio

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
    Really looking good Jeff - you'll be as happy as a pig in (insert your own word here) when you start using it.

    I assume you will be sending out the inviations to the Office -warming do by PM?
    Sounds like a plan
    I will be having a beer fridge in there for such occasions
    Regards,

    Jeff

    Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

    Comment


      #47
      It is, Mr Cat. :)
      The taller sloping ceiling is nice to bounce flash off for soft general illumination. The cross beam is dead handy too, for all sorts of things.
      If you're still doing electrics, consider putting a couple of 13 sockets at head height or a bit above - which can help keep lighting cables off the floor. I was going to have tracking for the lights, but by the time you get the pantographs on, they are almost down by your waist, so not worth it. A couple of telescopic wall brackets for flash heads might be a good idea.. see ebay. This is the inside of mine with a fisheye lens.. The big black thing next to the C stand is a home-made studio stand, made with a left-over joist from a decking job.Shed 2.jpg Shed 3.jpg
      Last edited by StuartMichaels; 29-10-2021, 18:28.

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by StuartMichaels View Post
        It is, Mr Cat. :)
        The taller sloping ceiling is nice to bounce flash off for soft general illumination. The cross beam is dead handy too, for all sorts of things.
        If you're still doing electrics, consider putting a couple of 13 sockets at head height or a bit above - which can help keep lighting cables off the floor. I was going to have tracking for the lights, but by the time you get the pantographs on, they are almost down by your waist, so not worth it. A couple of telescopic wall brackets for flash heads might be a good idea.. see ebay. This is the inside of mine with a fisheye lens.. The big black thing next to the C stand is a home-made studio stand, made with a left-over joist from a decking job.Shed 2.jpg Shed 3.jpg
        Cheers for that but won’t be a problem as all my studio lights are battery powered apart from the two that illuminate my Lastolite Hilite thingy
        I already have a lot of studio equipment as I used to go out and shoot on location portrait and pet photography.
        I run my own commercial photography business and I’m just trying to cut down on travel and work more from home.
        Getting old you see
        Regards,

        Jeff

        Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

        Comment


          #49
          Re the background holder system, I once used bent 18x3mm aluminium strip from B&Q to form U-shaped hooks that were screwed into the wall, two either side and each slightly offset; then I added a couple of cheapo TV aerial poles (50mm x 4metres) to support the paper rolls - they just dropped into the hooks horizontally and were prevented from unrolling with an A-clip clamped on one end. Total cost less than 30, and worked really well back when I was a poor impoverished freelancer. I have a "proper" Manfrotto system now - which cost a hell of lot more - and honestly, it's not much better!

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by StuartMichaels View Post
            Re the background holder system, I once used bent 18x3mm aluminium strip from B&Q to form U-shaped hooks that were screwed into the wall, two either side and each slightly offset; then I added a couple of cheapo TV aerial poles (50mm x 4metres) to support the paper rolls - they just dropped into the hooks horizontally and were prevented from unrolling with an A-clip clamped on one end. Total cost less than 30, and worked really well back when I was a poor impoverished freelancer. I have a "proper" Manfrotto system now - which cost a hell of lot more - and honestly, it's not much better!
            A good bit of improvisation there
            The Hilite system I have gives me a 7’ x6’ backlit pure white background and comes with a white trail.
            I also have the grey, black and green backgrounds that Velcro onto it.
            At the other end of the studio I am going to get a roll system to give me further choices.
            Not sure whether to go motorised or keep costs down. That will be for later though as I already own a telescopic pole and various cloth backgrounds and some pop up ones .
            I need to ‘earn’ some more penny’s to pay for it all
            Regards,

            Jeff

            Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

            Comment


              #51
              Progress report as of yesterday....

              Well, I'm in......Sort of

              The electrics have yet to be connected (waiting on the sparks to connect the consumer unit and issue Part P certification). Got to hang a few pictures, mirror and TV. Also got to choose some vertical blinds for the windows and doors. Other than that, we are just about ready to rock and roll.
              Started to put some of my studio equipment in yesterday to get a feel for the space and functionality. Nearly there

              https://youtu.be/ouYt_WXkLJo
              Regards,

              Jeff

              Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

              Comment


                #52
                Good to see the progress Jeff, although for one horrible moment I thought you had decapitated the wife
                Trev

                Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

                Flickr:
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

                Comment


                  #53
                  Looking good, Jeff. I hope all that expensive equipment is not viewable from the outside world and presume the windows are double glazed for warmth and safety

                  I can see you spending a massive amount of time in there, especially when you have the TV in situ

                  wot no cat flap?!
                  Canon EOS R6, Canon 5d mk iv plus the usual suspects ......

                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
                    Looking good, Jeff. I hope all that expensive equipment is not viewable from the outside world and presume the windows are double glazed for warmth and safety

                    I can see you spending a massive amount of time in there, especially when you have the TV in situ

                    wot no cat flap?!
                    Thanks Bo,

                    Only visible if you happened to get into our Garden from the private road we live on
                    We have cctv here and on the boat which have triggers for any motion detection. They are on WiFi and send notification to our phones etc when a camera detects motion.
                    They also will switch on the 'smart' lights in the house when we are not in and the outside security lighting.
                    As for warmth, the garden office is fully insulated, walls, floor and ceiling and it has UPVC double glazed windows and doors.
                    Once the electricity is connected there will also be heating and air-conditioning.....I also have a beer fridge and coffee machine in there. I need never leave.

                    No cat flap for the studio, Our furry family will only be allowed in under supervision.....Don't want the soft boxes to be used as cat climbing frames
                    Regards,

                    Jeff

                    Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by Trev B View Post
                      Good to see the progress Jeff, although for one horrible moment I thought you had decapitated the wife
                      Shh.....Don't put ideas in my head

                      EY7P3536-Edit-2 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
                      Last edited by Coolcat; 22-11-2021, 17:17.
                      Regards,

                      Jeff

                      Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Our furry family will only be allowed in under supervision
                        You're just no fun anymore...................!
                        Canon EOS R6, Canon 5d mk iv plus the usual suspects ......

                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X