Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New camera ordered... Oh, no its not... Oh yes it is!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New camera ordered... Oh, no its not... Oh yes it is!

I've long wanted to replace my aging Powershot G10 "travelling camera" and recently thought I'd actually do something about it. I read lots of reviews, watched many YouTubes and decided it was between the Canon G5X II and the (ahem!) Sony RX100 VII But wanted to actually get hands on them especially the Sony (the Canon will be so similar physically to my G10 and menu wise to my 5D3 that it was only the handling of the Sony I wanted to test).

I called my friendly camera shop (Mifsud in Brixham) only find they don't stock Sony and can't get hold of the Canon. Then I called LCE in Exeter who had the Sony but can't get hold on the Canon (see a pattern here?).

Anyway, on Friday I took the train up to Exeter to see what i thought of the Sony and, my god, it's tiny; far too tiny for my hands and far too easy to drop. OK there is an aftermarket grip available but when spending over a thousand pounds it really shouldn't be necessary to spend more.

So the G5X ii it was then and, back home, I'd already seen that Amazon had one to sell me so I ordered it along with a spare battery and fast memory card and soon got an order confirmation for all three. This morning I had additional confirmation of shipment of the card and battery but... an order cancellation for the camera. With typical quick Amazon service I now have the battery and card but no camera to put them in.

So back to LCE who had told me there was one available for mail order so that's now winging its was to me. LCE's gain, Jeff Bezos' loss.

I hope I like it as neither are perfect but cherry picking different attributes and abilities of both would come up with something nearing perfection.

Cheers,
    John

PS an M series wasn't even considered as it wouldn't fit in my motorcycle jacket pockets.

Working...
X