Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate...

...unnecessary complications...

Why oh why do manufacturers insist on loading up their products with endless features that lead to problems?

I was out Saturday morning with the IR'd 650D (and the 5D). As usual the 650D was set to RAW and things were - I thought - going fine. When I get home I discover that after about 15 shots the camera has somehow ended up shooting JPEGs and not full size JPEGs either but stupid small ones at that - I suppose I should be grateful that they were at least the S1 option and not S2 which does at least mean they are just about usable.

I have no idea how this happened - presumably I somehow managed to do it without even noticing - although it did coincide with a trio of corrupted files though I can't see how record failures could change the quality setting. If Canon et al must insist on putting a vast array of file quality options the least they could do is make it difficult to accidentally change the quality setting...

I also found another 3 corrupt files later in the run - it could be the card I guess (it's one I bought for a Panny G80 but that camera wouldn't recognise the card at all) yet scanning the card for errors on the PC failed to find an issue.

I also had a bit of difficulty with the 5D which seems to be somewhat erratic at reading the battery power - sometimes it read full, sometimes low and occasionally it decided the battery was empty yet if I switched the camera off and back on or opened and closed the battery compartment the empty reading would revert to full. Funnily enough my 20D does exactly the same thing at times. FWIW I think all the batteries I have are 3rd party jobs. Any one any thoughts?
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Hard to understand the format change but does sound like the battery is suspect. Personally I wouldn't trust either the card or the battery.
    I'd be looking to replace them. Have been using the Duracell batteries for a while with no issues.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I agree with Ant, I’d replace the card certainly and be suspicious of the battery. Do you have have another battery to try in its place or do you have another camera to check it on? On my cameras there is a battery check facility so that may be worth a look at. The other possibility is a dodgy contact, perhaps inside the camera; a faulty power connection might be the cause of the file type change, have you checked to see if any other option has changed? Best of luck.

Ian
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thanks both.

I'll see what the card does next time out, I've seen similar issues before with other cards which have then worked fine afterwards - if it persists then it's new card time. As for the quality change I'll have to keep an eye on it...

As for the 5D I've a fair few 511 batteries including 3 that came with the camera but most are fairly old. I do have a couple of new ones bought to replace a couple that definitely died so I could try one of those if needs be. I might try cleaning the contacts in the battery compartment just in case.

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
        X