Jobs worth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobs worth.

Was in St James Quarter shopping centre in Edinburgh today and while the wife was shopping I was studying the architecture of the building and got my camera out to take some shots. I was promptly told by security that I needed a permit and that using a camera was considered professional, but If I used my phone that would be okay. With the quality of shots from phones, what difference is there between photographing with either?

That seems to be a very arbitrary decision David. It may be because it is a shopping centre so is probably not a ‘public space’ and therefore has its own set of rules but it still doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

It applies to a lot of places now, I know of two or three down this way. I'm inclined to agree with it, so easy for anyone to start taking pictures of people, they not realising they have been photographed. There should be a law regarding the taking of photographs of people in public locations without their consent. It's something I would never do, and would be very uncomfortable if anyone else did of me - I have a reason for this.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
        It applies to a lot of places now, I know of two or three down this way. I'm inclined to agree with it, so easy for anyone to start taking pictures of people, they not realising they have been photographed. There should be a law regarding the taking of photographs of people in public locations without their consent. It's something I would never do, and would be very uncomfortable if anyone else did of me - I have a reason for this.
        I can understand that, but why could I take it on a phone and not get stopped?

Comment

Just to wind them up, take a picture with your phone then take out your camera and take a picture of the image on your phone!

You can't legislate for taking pictures of people in public places. Just one example : if I'm taking a picture of my family, say on a beach, and there are people in the background.

With the amount of cctv, dashcams, helmet cams (cyclists), etc each and everyone of us must be imaged many, many times everytime we are out and about.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
            Was in St James Quarter shopping centre in Edinburgh today and while the wife was shopping I was studying the architecture of the building and got my camera out to take some shots. I was promptly told by security that I needed a permit and that using a camera was considered professional, but If I used my phone that would be okay. With the quality of shots from phones, what difference is there between photographing with either?
            Remember some time ago one of the national parks in the USA had a rule that phones and compact cameras were free to use in the park but 'serious' cameras (whatever they are) needed to pay a fee for a permit!
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I was referring about deliberate candid shots of people just going about their everyday business, then being uploaded to social media sites and Forums.
              Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I was accosted in the same way as Daisy M years ago. I wanted to take a photo for a fun challenge on the subject of fashion. While in our local scruffy outdoor market square I saw a poster in a fashion shop window - fully clothed I hasten to add! which looked good so I took a photo. Immediately the market security came over and took me to one side while they called the head of security, who said that it was private property and the shops rented space. To be able to take photos I would have to ask permission from the shop owners. I just said OK and left. I had got my photos ;-)

Comment

Working...
                X